Inexpensive and Reliable 9mm or .40 S&W Hammer-Fired Semi-Auto?

SPEMack618

When I read this thread title, the first thing that popped into my head was Ruger P-95.

I've got one, and had nary a problem with it in 12 or so years. First centerfire handgun I ever got from Pops.

Mecgar makes good after market high cap mags for them now, too.

As Aarond likes to say:
"Ruger P-95 because a bajillion security guards can't b wrong."

SPEMack618

Yeah, I could see that, but a lot of it depends on body type.

For instance, I carry a Glock 21 as my EDC, so a Ruger P-95 wouldn't be that big of a difference.

But I'm a tall, rangy fellow that shirts just hang off of.

TheFlash

The 3rd Generation S&W pistols were mentioned above.

Can 100% recommend any of those in either 9mm or 40S&W.

Mine is a S&W 6906 bought new many years ago.
(While not recommended for +P ammo to be run through them, they are awesome pistols and eat any standard pressure ammo you can run through them...)

Regards,
Mike

Single Six

Spacecoast mentioned that the P-95 might be a bit large for CC. I think that it would depend on several factors, such as the size of the person wearing the gun, the type of holster used, etc. I personally carry the P-95's big brother [P-90] completely concealed all of the time, and no one can tell. Of course, I'm also a good-sized guy, wearing an IWB rig, and an un-tucked shirt that is one size too large.

pgdion

Low cost hammer fired brings 2 to mind for me.

The Stoeger Cougar (same as the Beretta Cougar .... Beretta owns Stoeger and moved the Cougar there when they came out with the PX4). I have the 9mm (8000F) and love it, it's been 100% so far. Not as nice to shoot as the 92FS but it is almost $200 cheaper.

The S&W 59xx/69xx (69xx are aluminum frame & lighter). I have the SS 5906 9mm and this thing is a truly indestructible tank. Pretty heavy but very well built, feels great, and shoots great too. Everyone should have a 3rd gen S&W IMO. mine was a police trade in.

Last edited:

chadio

Ex - Marine friend of mine picked up an FNP-9, NIB, with 5 mags and a hard case, for $399. I've had the opportunity to fire it several times, I find it to be a very accurate and reliable pistol that is a joy to shoot.

AraneaeFatalis

Wow. I have a lot of guns to research now. Wasn't expecting this many replies in such a short time. I'll try and reply to as much as possible in the next two days after I get off work tomorrow morning.

I don't have many gun store options here and practically no used gun sales options, which is why I was going for new, as I would like to hold the gun at least before I buy it.

The CZ-75 was one of the first I looked up, but all the ones i found new were out of my price range.

I love the old 3rd Gen S&W 59xx series, just the chance of getting one used around here is extremely slim. I do prefer an all metal gun to a polymer, just seems polymer is a lot cheaper nowadays. Is there a single-stack 59xx? or is the double-stack adequate for CC (eventually)

FN Herstal never crossed my mind, I'll have to look into those too.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

I love the old 3rd Gen S&W 59xx series, just the chance of getting one used around here is extremely slim

Gunbroker is your friend.

If you're going to carry it I recommend the 5903 as opposed to the 5906 and the 4003 as opposed to the 4006. The alloy frames are still strong and much, much lighter.

The 3rd Gen Smiths are great. I had one for a while. The stock trigger is so good it almost feels like a custom trigger from other companies.

AraneaeFatalis

I saw a 5906/6906 (not sure which) that had an accessory/picatinny rail.. What designation were those and are they as easy to find? If i can find one like that, then I'll be set.

wpsdlrg

" Is there a single-stack 59xx? or is the double-stack adequate for CC (eventually)"

There is no single stack 59XX, that I know of - this series and all of it's variants were/ are double stack....and definitely on the large side.

If you want an S&W 3rd generation that is single stack (and that would be a GREAT choice)....then, I'd recommend either a 3913, 3914......or this little beauty (photos below), which I picked up this past weekend. It is an S&W CS9 "Chiefs Special". A SUPERB little pistol, perfectly sized for CC, but not too small to be useful. Essentially, it's a "baby" version of any of the Smith 3rd generation pistols, with a 7 round, single stack mag. I say "baby version" because all of the Smith 3rd gen. pistols are designed the same under the skin (except for details like single-stack/ double stack). It is a terrific shooter. I found this one, with a bit of holster wear (only a little), but fired very little, for $375, out the door.

Note: These are NOT MY photos, so I've "borrowed" these. I don't have any good ones of my CS9.

As to availability, there are more and more 3rd gen Smiths coming to market, as police agencies trade them in. Most of those are the service - size guns, like the 5903 & 5906, though. Admittedly, the 3913-14 and CS9 are harder to find.

Attachments

• DSC_01851bucket-1.jpg
    DSC_01851bucket-1.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 36
  • cs9-1.JPG
    cs9-1.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 31

itchy1

" Is there a single-stack 59xx?

The model 3906 is. They are rather uncommon compared to the doublestack 5906 and you will likely see a price premium. Because they are all SS they still have quite a decent amount of heft despite being slimmer.

carguychris

I saw a 5906/6906 (not sure which) that had an accessory/picatinny rail.. What designation were those and are they as easy to find?
The pistols with the accessory rail were the "Tactical Smith & Wesson" late-production series. These pistols had a "TSW" model number suffix, a screwed-on tac rail under the dust cover, additional frame and slide machining, tough-looking black decocker/safety levers and slide stops on the stainless pistols, and a somewhat garish "TACTICAL" slide legend.

These pistols are generally NOT easy to find and command price premiums, largely because relatively few seem to have come through LE trade-in channels. Every one I've seen appeared to have originally been sold on the commercial market.

AFAIK there were no 69xx-series TSW pistols. Most were 59xx or 40xx series, although a few M45xxTSW's, M3913TSW's, and M3953TSW's were sold.
The model 3906 is [like a single-stack 5906]. They are rather uncommon compared to the doublestack 5906 and you will likely see a price premium.
Correct. FWIW the M3906 was only sold from 1988-1990, relatively few seem to have been picked up by LE agencies, and only a few late-production guns have the desirable Novak fixed rear sights.

Also, these guns suffer from mag availability issues compared to other 3rd-gens; cheap LE surplus mags are nearly nonexistent (the opposite situation from the 59xx and 69xx series), the few available aftermarket mags are junk, and earlier single-stack S&W 9mm mags will not fit because of grip frame dimension changes. Factory mags are plentiful, and current ones hold 9 rounds rather than the original 8rds, but they run $35-$42/ea.

Justice06RR

+1 to the Ruger P95. You can't get more reliable and cheaper than that for a hammer-fired semiauto

Another good option that was mentioned is a Berreta PX4 Storm. I've seen them for around $479 new at my LGS, so you can probably find them used in the $400 price range.

aarmel732

I have a CZ p-07 Duty in .40. It has functioned flawlessly, has a great trigger, with 12+1, pretty good capacity, and is fairly compact. It is more accurate than I am, and at $400, it was a bargin. I would recommend it to anyone!

RC20

I beat RC20?

No but seriously, the SP2022 fits the bill here nicely. Probably would be my #1 choice. A used FNH FNP is also a very good choice. I like the newer FNXs but I am not sure if you can get one new for that. Definitely seen used FNPs in the $400s.

Used doesn't necessarily mean bad by the way. I've owned over two dozen handguns. I've had far more issues with the new ones, than the used ones.

Yep, some of us have to work for a living! (not to mention keeping up with the house in a challenging climate).

Hard to beat the SP2022, you get an $800-900 quality gun at sub $500 with night sights.

Give up the night sights and it drops to $400 with some shopping.

You also get a rail if you want to add a laser at some point.