Inexpensive and Reliable 9mm or .40 S&W Hammer-Fired Semi-Auto?

AraneaeFatalis

I've been wanting to get a reliable and inexpensive 9mm or 40 S&W handgun for carry and range shooting. I much prefer hammer over striker and something that I could pay less than $500 OTD (also prefer new). So far the only one I've been able to find is the 9mm Ruger P95, does anyone else have some suggestions?

Last edited:

foxytwo

I suggest the Sig P250. I own several brands but this is my favorite carry, whether in a belt slide or IWB holster. Easer to conceal than my XD pistols.

Mrgunsngear

EAA Witness 9mm---mine is a tank--0 issues ever. The issues you see with the Witness guns are primarily in the large frame guns in 10mm and 45ACP but in your caliber choices they seem to perform well and you can get one for around $300.
IMG_1227.jpg

EastKY_DO

Ruger P-95, a hammer fired SA/DA in 9mm.

Inexpensive = I can find one locally for $298 cash price. (blued model)

Reliable = I have two of them. One has around 10k rounds thru it. Stone reliable in my experience.

dayman

In addition to the ones I see I'd mention
Sig 2022
CZ 75b

I've owned neither of them, but those that have seem to have naught but good things to say about them.

If you're willing to buy used there are a lot more.

Rupskin

My CZ-75BD has been every bit of reliable, with 1,500 rounds w/o an issue. All steel, built with some heft...will last a lifetime :)

carguychris

Here is the best quality/price in 9 mm CC...
Uhhh, the Bersa BP9CC isn't hammer-fired... :rolleyes:

In addition to what other posters have suggested already, in no particular order...

New Handguns:
  • Beretta PX4
  • Rock Island Armory M1911 9mm "Tactical"
  • Stoeger Cougar - this is actually a license-built Beretta 8000 clone
  • Taurus PT99 - I'm not normally a fan of Tauruses due to their iffy QA/QC, but this gun gets better reviews than anything else in their lineup
  • Arcus / Century Int'l Arms 98DA & 98DAC - the DAC takes cheap and readily available Browning Hi-Power mags, but just so there's no confusion, the gun is NOT a BHP clone!
  • Magnum Research Baby Eagle - nice gun, but like the CZ 75b, recent MSRP increases may have pushed it out of your budget

Used Guns:
  • Beretta 92 series
  • SIG Sauer Certified Pre Owned or CPO guns - these come in a red case with a red band around the grip rather than blue/blue like a new SIG; these are factory-rebuilt guns with a factory warranty at a big discount, BUT model availability and price varies quite a bit from month to month, or even week to week, YMMV!
  • S&W 3rd-generation metal-frame 9mm- 39xx, 59xx, 69xx, and 9xx series - super-solid build quality, very accurate, a bit heavy; feel and shoot like SIGs, but resale value is much lower due to a flood of LE trade-ins. If you want one, IMHO you should buy one NOW, people are realizing what a great deal they've become and they are NEVER going to be any cheaper!

TailGator

I have been very impressed with my daughter's PX4 Compact 9 mm, and it came in just a hair under $500 with shipping, FFL fee, and all. Very soft shooting, accurate, well-made pistol.

Walt Sherrill

If you're trying to go "inexpensive," think USED, and look at:

the Ruger P95, (or some of the older metal framed Rugers)
any Witness in 9mm or .40,
any Third Generation S&Ws in .40 or 9mm (i.e., 4006, 4045, 4046, 5906, etc.)

You'll find them in the $300 - $400 range. A used CZ might be available in that price range, too, but typically a bit higher.

All of them are good, solid guns.

hogvarmiter

On those 3rd Generation Smith and Wessons.. for the 40S&W cal,4006 is a great one!I have one and it still shoots like it did when it came off the assembly line,absolutely great.They are all stainless steel,which makes them heavy but accuracy and reliability are excellent.

If you can find one,get it before someone else does.They are a good value.

willmc33

CZ P07 or Sig Sauer Sp2022 for new guns. Huge recconmendation for the 3rd gen Smith & Wessons as have been mentioned. Awesome quality for how cheap you can get them now.

Single Six

The Ruger P-95 should not be overlooked. It is as tough as they come and as reliable as can be. The price is pretty good, too.

Sheriff Gotcha

I second the suggestion of the FNX-9/40 or the CZ P-07 Duty.

I have a CZ 85B and it has been flawless out the box so far with over 300 rounds down range. It is a full size gun though which means its pretty heavy so I wouldn't suggest that for carry.

The FNX is 21.9 ounces empty and the P-07 is 27.2 ounces while the CZ 85B is 34.08 ounces. While it may not seem like much that extra 12 ounces is a lot.

If I had to suggest only one I'd go with the FNX.

wpsdlrg

Another vote for the Sig Sauer P250. You can get it in three flavors, depending on your preference - full-size, compact or sub-compact. Inexpensive, very reliable and very accurate. Also easy to maintain.

Another one I like is the Stoeger 8000 (Cougar). Very accurate, reliable as can be, high quality and a bargain. My favorite, as it happens.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

I beat RC20? :D

No but seriously, the SP2022 fits the bill here nicely. Probably would be my #1 choice. A used FNH FNP is also a very good choice. I like the newer FNXs but I am not sure if you can get one new for that. Definitely seen used FNPs in the $400s.

Used doesn't necessarily mean bad by the way. I've owned over two dozen handguns. I've had far more issues with the new ones, than the used ones.