Indoor shooting range with a liquor license?

Dead-Nuts-Zero

In my area, I'd estimate 80+% of gun/sportsman's clubs have a licensed bar/lounge and multiple shooting ranges, many open to the public.
I think they do a good job of policing themselves as I don't recall hearing of any alcohol/gun problems in my 50 some years of shooting at these types of ranges.

I agree, it's probably not a great image.....

and reminds me of the image of open carry laws and how the anti's scream that blood will be running through the streets as seen in cowboy western movies.
Where's the evidence?

Nathan

It can be safe, we all agree. Businesses require liability insurance. How do you get that with shooting and full bar under the same roof. They struggle with that with axe throwing.

I would suggest opening a place next door with separate names and entrances.

HighDesert

At least with the one close to me, you shoot first, then go have your food and drinks. You can’t go the other way. The concept has been working quite well and a pretty good hangout.

243winxb

Drunks at NRA Precision Pistol Match.

Competed in an NRA Precision Pistol match where there was a bar.
Between relays, shooters were allowed to drink.
On guy with doing shots. I said something. Was told he shot better after a few.

My shooting station was on the end of the bench. One drunk with turning the corner to go down range, almost knocked my whole pistol box, guns an all onto the floor.

If guns hit the floor, he would have too.:mad:

25 yard indoor range near Allentown, Pa. in the 70's.

Skans

I am far more worried about all of these people driving around smoking weed than I am about firearms experts who engage in shooting competitions having a couple of beers.

243winxb

Hunters Bench Rest shoot- Women comes out of bar. Some one talked her into shooting with borrow 308 rifle.
First shot, the scope cut a half moon above her eye. Blood every where.

I was there, i seen it. (my 243 didnt do well against the larger diameter 308 bullets.)

FITASC

So how do all of these clubs in Europe and Central/South America manage to do this without incidents? Are we that incompetent?

44 AMP

Staff
Are we that incompetent?

Obviously, in some things, we are...:rolleyes:

I'd guess a lot of it is a combination of cultural differences, and differences in what gets reported, and how.

In the US we have a legal minimum drinking age. 21 (lowered to 18 at one point in some places but not all, and raised to 19 or back to 21 by many states who had lowered it)

Many Europeans (though by no means all) literally grow up drinking alcohol. Wine, or beer is often served to minors, and in some parts of Europe the "drinking age" is literally "tall enough to see over the bar and order a drink"...

Are European "drunks" safer and more responsible than US drunks? I doubt it. But I do think they look at drunks a little differently than we (as a society) do.

STORM2

There is a range in TX with a restaurant and bar. You must be a member to be served. They serve you only when you produce your membership card. If you were served alcohol, the range will know when you try to check in. Simple shoot first, drink after. This is not a burger and fries place. Country Club membership/menu prices apply. Reservations for dinner are suggested.

243winxb

Outdoors- A 22LR semi was spitting hot brass onto a shooter on the right. Almost a fight. Bar on property, not sure if drinking was involver?

FITASC

Are European "drunks" safer and more responsible than US drunks? I doubt it. But I do think they look at drunks a little differently than we (as a society) do.

They do not look highly on drunkeness; that said, many drink several bottles of wine during the day, in small amounts, with food covering 12+ hours; no problems. \Their gun ranges are not exception. Maybe we could learn some thing about behavior and self control...........;)

stinkeypete

Europe is not a country, it's a continent.
The Pilgrims left, seeking their own country.
There is no evidence that they are any wiser than anyone else.
You can't forget "facts" that are not true.

Now.. my club has a bar. Once you order any alcoholic beverage, you're done shooting for the day.

Could someone attempt to break the rules? They could try. If anyone turned them in, they would be banned for life, because they are risking the privileges of everyone else in the club.

Many people don't want to go through the effort involved to join our club, which has strict rules for safety and fair operation expenses. Fine. We have a waiting list. Our facilities would make you drool.

ghbucky

I would submit that the root issue between how we view alcohol in the US and other countries is driving. We drive a LOT more than other countries, so someone getting drunk is much more likely to end up with them getting behind the wheel and risking the lives of a lot more people.

I've worked with people who worked in Europe and they marveled at their willingness to indulge in alcohol during working hours, where as nowadays that is verboten here. Even working from home, I refuse to take a drink before my work hours are over, and that is, I think, more cultural than concern over performance.

Rum rations used to be standard on board US man of wars and even infantry during the 1800s. I've heard tales of beer rations during ww2.

I've been lead to believe that in the 60s and 70s drinking during lunch was routine. I have no idea if that is true, or simply a Hollywood fiction.

HiBC

I live in Colorado as well, can you cite your source for the BAC.

Its what I was taught in my Concealed Carry Class.

You are correct,its a good idea to verify that for yourself. I'm thinking you can research it as easily as I can.

You might contact a facility that does CCW training and ask where it is written.