Indoor shooting range with a liquor license?

Scorch

What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes: We're all responsible adults, right? Here, hold my beer, watch this.:eek:

I agree. Not a good idea. Remember the posters in the hunters' safety classes, "alcohol and firearms don't mix"? Yeah, those were there for a reason. Bad enough some people have trouble making sounds decisions when holding either a gun or an alcoholic beverage, but both at the same time?

OPC

These guys have been open for a while in Gilbert, Arizona, but I'm not a member. I haven't heard of any incidents and there are insufficient reviews to tell if it's worth stopping by. The prices say "no": $9/hr for first hour, $10/hr thereafter.

https://continentalgilbert.com/

ghbucky

These guys have been open for a while in Gilbert, Arizona, but I'm not a member. I haven't heard of any incidents and there are insufficient reviews to tell if it's worth stopping by. The prices say "no": $9/hr for first hour, $10/hr thereafter.

I don't think they are a chain. AFAIK, Premier shooting and training in Westchester, OH is a locally owned and operated range. And $9/hr would be a steal in this area. Generally they charge double that.

OPC said:
Cheap range time. Around here, it's $18 to $25 for a half hour, $36 to $50 for an hour.

Plus $2 each for targets, plus ammo.

HHollow

This is a popular thing in Europe. A shooting range can have an adjacent bar-restaurant. A shooting club rents time for their competition and the (later) awards ceremony can become a drunken orgy. But the hardware is all put away by then. Adults adulting.

Onward Allusion

I like this quote from the article.

“The general public can’t just come in, go shoot and then go over and have a beer,” he said. “That’s not what’s happening there.”

I guess it's better to go have a few then shoot, eh? Bad idea all around.

HiBC

I'm not in favor of mixing alcohol and guns.
If the guns must be secured in the vehicle before being served...I'd think thieves would target the parking lot.

OK,I'll try to play devil's advocate for balance.

In my state (Colorado) my understanding (I'm not a lawyer) is you can be in a bar ,concealed carry, and have a drink in front of you. Supposedly, you might be legal having a beer with a green chili burrito plate. The legal limit for being armed is the same as the legal limit for being impaired to drive. I think thats a .04 BAC. Its also my understanding Law Enforcement has the discretion to take your firearm and permit regardless if BAC if you have been drinking.
It can certainly be argued that a drunk driving a Suburban is as dangerous as a drunk with a gun. Neither are good.

Not everyone who sips a beer is drunk. If you serve alcohol to the public,somebody will get drunk.

If it were my Indoor Range I would not do it. Insurance,potential lawsuits, anti-gun press, public nuisance petitions, and the potential of gun shot wounds...
I can't see a way to make it a good idea.

Maybe,if an entrepeneur owned a corner lot/mini strip mall, there could be multiple businesses. One Suite,or bay,could be an indoor range. On the same lot, there could be a gas station / convenience store/liquor store.

Buckaroo Bob's Beer,bait, Boudin,burgers, Biscuts and gravy bullets,bullseyes, ice,laundromat and gas. Carwash. Coffee .... An Oasis in the Wide,Wild West. Hunting and Fishing Licenses, Summertime Palisade Peaches and Fourth of July Fireworks. Ice!!

I doubt they will have cocktail servers bringing Margaritas and Coronas to the firing line.

Last edited:

Mikef262

The only way I see this feasible at all would be to have strict guidelines in place. For example,

-No shooting after drinking (obviously)

-Must pass a preliminary breath test (PBT) prior to entering the shooting range

-Some sort of armed security to enforce the above rules and allow/deny entry to the range

-Firearms must be secured after shooting prior to making your way over to the bar

-All persons returning to the bar after shooting are subject to search and metal detection

All of the above could be instituted as it is a private establishment and they can make their own rules. It seems as though this is a member only type deal, so rules must be laid out on their membership regulations.

Now that being said, I disagree with this completely. I personally know of a guy who owns both a bar and gunshop. They are on total opposite ends of town though.

Skans

They have a place like this north of Atlanta. I went there, the range was busy, but the bar only had a few people at it. I believe it had rules about not shooting after drinking alcohol. I don't see a problem. It's a private club, rather nice, and I like the idea of having access to a bar/restaurant. I can bring my wife, friends, and even business acquaintances. They may not want to shoot more than 30 minutes, so this gives us something else to do.

FITASC

An indoor range not too far from me has gotten themselves a liquor license.
https://www.fox19.com/2022/03/21/gun...-west-chester/

I really don't see how this will end well. They may well be able to manage, but I think employees are going to be put in the place of being cops and some drunk is going to create a big issue.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

And yet it is the NORM in Europe and they have zero issues - why is that? Several Sporting Clays clubs have restaurant/bars on the premise; others will have beer available after the shoot. This really seems to be a major concern in the US.

One in Germany:
https://www.thecoolist.com/mszu-the-worlds-most-beautiful-gun-club/

One in Portugal:
http://www.ctopinhal.com/index.php/en/

restaurant/bars in each; no problem; maybe those folks have better self control?

44 AMP

Staff
There are two distinctly different possibilities with a liquor license. One is just to sell and does not allow consumption on the premises. Like a liquor store or grocery store.

the other is to serve alcohol to patrons on the premises.

I see no problem with either one, PROVIDED the management is responsible and acts accordingly. Simple solution to serving and shooting, you don't allow someone who has been served back on the range.

You shoot, get done, THEN go to the lounge. Never the other way around. Not difficult to manage.

Shotgun Slim

I remember when Budweiser was a major sponsor at our state championship for trapshooting. The beer flowed After shooting was over and guns were put away. Was never a problem but had to look terrible to outsiders......

eflyguy

I've seen folks popping open a beer after matches. Pretty sure alcohol was prohibited at those sites. Whatever. Given the discipline and experience of the shooters, never gave it a second thought.

At a public range like the one I posted, I would be surprised if they don't have some controls over shooting after visiting the lounge. I don't know, I'm not a member, and it's not my kind of place.

ghbucky

I can see doing it as a membership setting, where if someone gets out of hand you can kick them out.

I see a lot of references to that setting.

Understand; I don't think that is what is happening in this case. While they may change their operation to accomodate that later, what this looks like now is a public range adding a bar/lounge in the same building.

https://www.shootpremier.com/gun-range-cincinnati/

Yes, you can put in procedures/controls to ensure someone doesn't go from the bar into the range.

Have you ever seen an unruly drunk?