Incident with a dog & pulling out a gun

therealdeal

I need to get my neighbor on here. The 'dog' didn't charge him, but he did rip open multiple UPS packages that were delivered including personalized cigars(apparently this dog could eat churchills and still hang in the fray no problem), he also ate kids bike helmets, shoes, bathing suits&towels drying on his porch railing, etc. the dog did leave leftovers for him in case he wanted to eat some too.

ps-he fired a warning shot but the dog still visits and rips up attachments to his water gutters so the rainwater doesn't land right next to the house.

This is in the country- he doesn't know who owns the dog and is considering shooting it. I think I talked him out of it, but I feel his pain. I mean I couldn't shoot my neighbor's dog, loose cow, and so-on but he doesn't even know where this dog is coming from.

Edward429451

Edward and Noelf, go ahead and draw a gun every time something makes you remotely nervous, especially in a city or a suburb, and see how long you go without losing your permit, at best.

Now you see? You didn't read my posts I suppose wherin I said Noone wants to shoot a dog. I merely stated that I am willing to shoot an aggressive dog, even a little one depending. I will do all in my power to not have to shoot the dog, but it is largely up to the dog if it gets shot! If I'm supposedly so nervous or triggerhappy or whatever you may be trying to imply, then why didn't I shoot the dog that was charging me? I knew there was a chance that the dog may not turn at the sound of the shot, but he could too so I had to try something besides putting a bullet in it. I am very lucky that it worked.

WHat it all comes down to I think is that it is not politically correct to talk about shooting dogs. I have never shot a dog, and clearly stated that I do not want to, but would be willing to...and get taken to task for it? :)
That's funny.

You go play disparity of force games with an attacking dog...I'm good.:D

MLeake

Edward429451

Depending on your definition of aggressiveness, we may be just fine.

An initial approach doesn't necessarily, and in fact doesn't even usually, mean that an attack is coming.

I missed the part where you said you'd take pains to avoid shooting a dog, and so I may have spun up too much. If so, sorry. There are just so many people who keep looking for reasons to justify shooting, from dogs to panhandlers, that it has become a pet peeve.

As to disparity of force, though, in most cases the disparity of force favors an adult human. Until you start dealing with larger pits, Rotts, trained attack dogs, or dogs acting in multiple, you should have the advantage. Behaving like you are aware of that advantage does wonders in keeping dogs at a conservative distance.

Roy Reali, it's easy to go for a quick sound bite. Debates, though, usually require supporting arguments, not just a statement that you are right and therefore everybody else is wrong. I try to offer supporting statements, relevant anecdotes, etc. Guess to you that is an attempt to overwhelm with information... you may even be right. That's probably why debaters and lawyers do that.

So far, you've invited me to sing kumbaya, and launched attacks my way. What you have not done is actually answered the question: Do you really think a gun is the best tool against a dog? Do you think a gun is better than a stick or spray if the dog is attacking a loved one?

You like quick, to the point answers, so please provide one. (Saying that you'd prevent it from ever happening is unrealistic, so let's assume you've been caught off guard - what tools would you want in that case?)

Last edited:

MLeake

Hook686...

.... Your Timothy Treadwell analogy is a bit of a reach. Treadwell expected bears to not act like bears. His actions went directly against the advice of biologists, rangers, veterinarians, and a slew of others he should have listened to.

For your analogy to work, you'd have to find a majority of veterinarians, animal control officers, K-9 handlers, and dog trainers who'd say that there are significant odds of any stray dog that gets near you actually launching an attack. Most dogs are conditioned not to attack humans. The breed has been domesticated for a long, long time.

Bears, not so much.

roy reali

re:Mleake

I carry a gun everytime I go for a walk with my dogs. I pray and hope I don't have to ever draw or shoot a dog, or a person, or even a wild animal. If the moment comes when I do have to draw and fire I pray the decision is legally and morally correct.

I made my point without writing out a thesis.

Irish B

.... Your Timothy Treadwell analogy is a bit of a reach. Treadwell expected bears to not act like bears. His actions went directly against the advice of biologists, rangers, veterinarians, and a slew of others he should have listened to.

Thats not necessarily true. His research taught us a lot about bear behavior. Him getting eaten was a side effect of his negligence and him letting is gaurd down. Bears in their territory can be very aggressive and territorial whereas bears not in their territory or in your territory tend to be skittish and passive. I watch a documentary on a new way to drive out bears and keep them out for good. By perusing them on foot by hand the way an aggressive bear would peruse a subordinate bear and it works well. Rangers are now coming to use that technique on problem bears. I can tell you it works because I used it on the bear that broke into my house. I aggressively perused him out of my house and down the road and that particular bear never came back and was never a problem again. Dogs on the other hand have been specifically bred to interpret the body language of man. That makes them much more adapted to attack and hunt man as they have no natural fear of man and are much better equipped to know what a man is going to do. If you're aggressive and hold your ground the stray dog will almost always leave you alone or just bluff. If you show any sign of fear the dog will react. You have to almost be offensive to the dog rather than defensive. If he charges you walk towards him aggressively. Remember the average man is double the weight of the average stray dog so show it. I have run across countless aggressive stray dogs, coyotes, and hybrids around here and never once has one gotten within 10 feet of me using that technique. Humans forget that aggression is everything in the animal kingdom. Its why smaller animals are always taking kills from larger animals and why my dogs constantly drive away bears that weigh twice what they do.

MLeake

Roy Reali

Yes, you did.

Actually, if you had written your last post as your first, you'd have had zero argument from me.

Otherwise, taken to PM, as I should have done a while back.

MLeake

Irish B...

... your technique, and the reasons behind it, sound a lot like what I was trying to describe.

Be the Alpha, without going overboard. Works well.

In case it doesn't work, I do put myself between the strange dog and my own dogs, and between the strange dog and whoever is with me.

And like Roy said in his latest post, I too would draw only if I absolutely had to. But if I had to, I would. I just believe, from lots of experiences with unknown dogs, that in the vast majority of cases I will not need the gun.

Irish B

Agreed. I have never needed to put down a dog either but have come really close. I have no problem putting one down too if it came down to it.

MLeake

Irish B

I don't expect anybody to accept serious injury for themselves or loved ones. I do think that a lot of us could handle the majority of dog encounters without needing lethal force. I also think that if one is really worried about dog encounters, then it makes sense to have other options than just bare hands vs gun.

Walking sticks and OC spray have been mentioned, but there are also whistles and other control devices that - while also normally not needed - are preferable to shooting a dog that perhaps didn't need to be shot. Having less than lethal options and knowing how to employ them is never bad, although it may not always be practical.

I don't carry spray, although maybe I should; if I see a dog that is acting in a way I don't like, I will pick up the first stick-like object at hand. Then again, most of the dogs that would actually scare me are probably dogs that require a gun, or else some really good spray.

So far, I have not had to use a stick offensively. In over half the cases, the dog actually perked up at the stick, and it ended up being used as a distracting toy. (Note: if a dog thinks the stick is a good thing, he's probably not a mean dog.)

noelf2

I too would draw only if I absolutely had to.

It will happen so quickly that you will not have the luxury of reasoning whether it is absolutely necessary to draw your gun or not. If a dog is running up to me in a way that I percieve to be aggressive, I will immediately draw my gun. I will *shoot* only if I absolutely have to. If needed, shooting takes way less time than drawing and shooting. I'd rather not wait until the dog has teeth in me before I feel I absolutely need to draw my gun. I don't see anything wrong with that, and neither does the law. "Be prepared", "better safe than sorry", "a stich in time saves nine", all good advice in this sort of situation.

markj

This is in the country- he doesn't know who owns the dog and is considering shooting it.

When strange dogs get on my property I use a BB gun, hurts them when hit in the rear end. They almost never come back. I wouldnt kill one unless my kids were being threatened by it.

markj

a $500 fine and payment of $8,559 to cover Grace's veterinary bills

That is one expensive box of shotgun shells.

We can kill here in Iowa, but I feel it is the owners problem not the dogs so why kill the dog? A bb hurts enough, dog dont come back, I see him up the road every day, he just decides to not come down to my place any more.

Now another neighbor has an old dog that comes up to my deck, takes an item and places it on their deck. Owner is a good friend of mine and we decided to let him do whatever it is the dog is doing as he is very old. Why harm him? It is kinda funny, he has taken muddy shoes, a dog dish etc.