In this edition of the Search for MY perfect 1911 ...

HisSoldier

"Simply not true.... Colt currently makes the WWI repo and it is very close to the original 1911s. They sell all day long for $900"

Do they actually follow all the original ordinance specifications? I really doubt it. Metallurgically, do they use SAE 1035 or SAE 1127 steel for the frames? Are the grip screws case hardened to 60+ RC? There were a huge raft of ordinance specifications that have all but been forgotten. I'd like to hear a Colt engineer state that the gun is identical to the original specifications.
I was being very specific in what I said about a true 1911, get it? I was trying to make a point.

vox rationis

As of now, I think that the only 1911 style pistol with an external extractor that I'd be drooling to have is a Pistol Dynamics pistol..feast your eyes on these two:

Scout-Pr.jpg

LouPran

Took a look at a couple S&W 1911's with the external extractors. Brand new.

I have to say these were very nice IMO except for the EE which I'm concerned may just be too taboo to be able to say I have a "real" 1911. I also am not sure I like the look of the EE on this particular gun compared to IE with lowered flared port.

I also looked at a Dan Wesson Bobtail ... Right now I'm really leaning towards that. Excellent feel , fit and finish. Trigger was by far the best I've tried yet. Not a hint of creep and breaks crisply I would wager on being, under 4lbs.

LouPran

As of now, I think that the only 1911 style pistol with an external extractor that I'd be drooling to have is a Pistol Dynamics pistol..feast your eyes on these two:

Those are HOT! Never heard of them. :confused:

rellascout

There is no way that DW left the factory with under 4lb trigger. They are smooth but not that light IMHO

You might also consider looking at Fusion Firearms. Bob Serva is the one that brought the Bobtail to Dan Wesson.

Bobtail%20Com%202tone%20-10X-2.jpg

LouPran

I've got a number of firearms in the 4lb category as well as the 3lb range (And one trigger on a custom Remington 700 CDLSF Limited adjusted to 2lbs) and I'm telling you that this trigger most definitely felt like a 3.5-4lb trigger.

I couldn't put a gauge on it of course , but it's light break was very surprising.

LouPran

Nice ...

Bobtail%20Com%202tone%20-10X-2.jpg

BUT ... WOW ... talk about some sloppy fit on the BOB of those grips. Not even the correct angle.

csmsss

Dunno what all the hullaballoo is about. I'm sure either extractor design will work just fine. I've never owned a 1911 with an external extractor, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I otherwise liked the pistol. Either extractor should be quite easy to remove/replace, so I wouldn't let that be a factor in my own decision. When you get down to it, it's all about what appeals to you personally.

Rinspeed

Quote:

Those are HOT! Never heard of them.

Paul's one of the very top smiths in the country. He ran the S&W Performance Center for 10 years so that might have something to do with why you've never heard of him.

nate45

Oh yeah, John Browning would really frown on the inclusion of an EE on new 1911 style pistols.:rolleyes:

Brownpic1.GIF

My opinion is that the trouble Kimber had with some of their EE was because it is too short.

If you'll notice the EE on the S&W, Sig, etc are long like the one on the Browning HP.

LouPran

rellascout

You are comparing a rifle to a defense pistol?

No ... I simply mentioned that I have a rifle with a 2lb trigger pull.

And FYI ... Trigger pull weight is trigger pull weight is trigger pull weight.

If it's 4lbs to break , it's 4lbs to break. PERIOD.

rellascout

No ... I simply mentioned that I have a rifle with a 2lb trigger pull.

And FYI ... Trigger pull weight is trigger pull weight is trigger pull weight.

If it's 4lbs to break , it's 4lbs to break. PERIOD.

Do you even understand what you are talking about? There is a huge difference between a 2lb trigger on a 1911 pistol setup as defense gun and a hunting rifle that has been customized.

My point is that factories do not typically ship defense pistols with 4lb triggers. Many custom guns like a Les Baer do but the not too many factory handguns do. It might be that but IIRC Dan Wesson claims they ship with 5lb triggers.

LouPran

Yes rellascout ... Believe it or not , there's other people in the world besides you that know what they're talking about.

You're picking nits.

No one ever said a custom rifle trigger feels the same as a 1911 pistol setup as defense gun (Don't think I don't notice your manipulation of the description of a 1911 either.

Let me ask you a simple question rellascout ...

Do you use a different trigger pull gauge for your pistols than for your rifles and do you calibrate it differently for each? Does the weight of pull mean something different for rifles than for pistols?

Once again ... No one ever said a custom rifle trigger feels the same as a 1911 pistol setup as defense gun :rolleyes:

4lbs weight of pull is 4lbs weight of pull. Period.

And no one said anything about what is typical either ... My exact words were ... Trigger was by far the best I've tried yet. Not a hint of creep and breaks crisply I would wager on being, under 4lbs.

Beyond those words you went on an embellishing spree , most likely because you feel a need to always show others you know more than they do as would appear to be your MO from the short and unpleasant time I've had with which to get to know you.

LouPran

Found an interesting article by doing a simple search for tests on the Dan Wesson CBOB by Jeff Quinn of Gunblast.com

He decided to try out / test for his firearms review site a DW CBOB ...

This is a production firearm that he does not for a moment imply has had any custom work or modification done to it , but rather testing for what the average joe could expect from one off the shelf ... interesting comment he makes here ...

Shooting the Commander Bobtail proved to be a real pleasure. The trigger pull is one of the best available on a 1911. It is match-grade, very crisp, and released perfectly at three and one-quarter pounds of pressure. Perfect. The gun handles very well, and the shape of the frame seems to do wonders for the controllability of the weapon.

WELL FANCY THAT ... Another guy that thinks the DW trigger pull is under 4lbs ... at 3.25 no less! :eek:

Well ... he doesn't think it ... he tested it.

Rellascout ... you should Email him and tell him all about how a 1911 pistol setup as defense gun doesn't break like a custom rifle trigger and how a 1911 pistol setup as defense gun typically doesn't get set up from the factory with such a light trigger.

I'll wager were he'll tell you to put your opinions. :D

cjw3cma

Personal Opinions

Lou,
In your search for your perfect 1911, you will receive many replies and personal opinions. Most are well intentioned and most are accurate but every once in awhile someone will state something that others may not agree with. Be a duck and let it roll off your back rather than pounce back.

Hope you find that perfect 1911 - since there is no such thing as perfect in this world, good luck.

kristop64089

There is no way that DW left the factory with under 4lb trigger. They are smooth but not that light IMHO
Not wanting to stir the pot, but my pre-CZ DW has a 3.5# factory trigger. It can be adjusted up or down, but this is the Factory setting.

Now, in all fairness it's techincally a Target gun, but it can and will be carried as a defensive pistol(as they all could be).

rogertc1

Kinda funny but the inexpensive Llamas 1911's used external extractor before any of the pictured guns were even a twinkle in their companies eye. :D

Last edited:

LouPran

Lou,
In your search for your perfect 1911, you will receive many replies and personal opinions. Most are well intentioned and most are accurate but every once in awhile someone will state something that others may not agree with. Be a duck and let it roll off your back rather than pounce back.

Good advice.

LouPran

Not wanting to stir the pot, but my pre-CZ DW has a 3.5# factory trigger. It can be adjusted up or down, but this is the Factory setting.

Now, in all fairness it's techincally a Target gun, but it can and will be carried as a defensive pistol(as they all could be).

Excellent! I was quite honestly shocked by the light break of the CBOB. Fantastic trigger set up.

The difference was immensely obvious in comparison to the other 1911's in the case which had triggers in the 4-6lb ranges as best I could tell from feel.

After a bit of research last night on this firearm , it's gone to the top of my list for my first 1911.

I wish it had a 5" barrel and a forged frame would be nice ... but everything else is just about perfect for my tastes.

I had also looked over a Les Baer while there and IMO the trigger was better on the DW and what a difference in comfort in holding the bobtail compared to a standard frame.