If you won a contest, what gun would you choose?

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Okay, this is a fun forum, but I note we haven't had any NEW topics for a few days. Just for discussion's sake, let's play a variation on the silly game, of What If . . .?

Say you can buy any full auto piece within reason. I mean, please don't say, "Gimme a 30mm Gatling and an A10 Warthog to transport it." No impulse purchase - -Maybe, you have to wait 30 days to close any deal, so you must take some time to shop around.

Maybe you've won a contest and are awarded the purchase price of the gun only. Take into consideration that you'll need to buy your own accessories, and the ammo you'll shoot. A WWII Nambu light machine gun would be nifty, but, have you priced the ammo lately? OTOH, an Uzi is not all that exotic, but ammo is cheap, and mags and spare parts are easy to locate, and they're a lotta fun to shoot.

Me, I'd have to give this deal some thought. I'd love to have a vintage belt-fed like a Vickers or 1917 Browning. But a BAR or maybe an M3 SMG would certainly be more portable . . . . :p

What say ye?

Best,
Johnny

Hkmp5sd

FN P90 - 5.7x28mm

p90.gif

Chipperman

Well, in "real terms" I've decided that the next FA gun purchase will be a 1928 Thompson. Don't think it will happen any time soon, though.

I'd love to get an AK, but I'd have to take a Thompson first.

For dreaming, I guess I'd choose an M60

ACP230

I've got some subguns, so I'd pick a BAR, or an M14.

Second choices are an AR18, or some other FA battle rifle. The M2 Carbine might also be a contender. I've shot both a FND (an improved BAR) and an actual M14 and liked both a lot.

Fly320s

I drool over the MP5.

Gimme one with a registerd receiver, straight stock, 3 lug barrel, paddle mag release and SEF trigger group.

Not that I've really thought about it at all. :rolleyes: I certainly haven't priced them every week and kicked myself for being too chicken/cheap to buy one.

Powderman

Mine would have to be the M1 Thompson. I'll take a Savage, thankyouverymuch, with a plethora of stick mags and at least 3 each of the 50 and 100 round drums.

Or, if I had to pick a bigger caliber, I'll take my old pig--also known as Gun, Machine, 7.62x51 NATO, M60, with equipment. I LOVE those things!

(Plus at least a Dillon Super 1050 or a Camdex machine to service both of them.)

MrPink

Easy: Stoner 63A, if all the various parts don't count as "the gun", the one set up I'd want is the short barrel belt fed.

An MG42 would also be really nice.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
All righty, now - -

Getting some interesting replies.

I guess I should have placed the limitation on choices" "You must pick an item which would be possible to legally own." Reason I mention this is that HKMP5SD chose the FN P90. As far as I know, this item is of such new production, none are legally transferable in the USA. Well, come to think to it, I didn't stipulate the purchase had to be made in this country, did I? :confused:

Ummm, Powderman - - The M1 and M1A1 Thompsons won't take the standard Type L and Type C drums, without a lot of custom machining/modifications. Need a 1921 or 1928 for the drums.

I kinda like MrPink's MG42 choice - - There's still a lot of cheap 8mm ammo around . . . . ;)

Best,
Johnny

boofus

The new Steyr AUG A3 looks nice! :D

1304_4.jpg

I don't see why someone with a registered trigger pack can't get the A3 upper receiver and build one of these.

Jody Hudson

I have everything I want...

However, a custom Enforcer in .30 carbine where everything was made better, prettier, more reliable and even more accurate would be quite nice! :D

MeekAndMild

Given any Class III I'd want either a BAR or a Nigerian BM 59 with a match barrel and trigger work. But then a Mini Uzi would be nice. Or maybe a Thompson. A 1919. MG 42.

Never mind. :(

Ok, I guess I will play. I am not really into FA stuff, but if I could get one free I gotta make a choice.
MP5: I occasionally compete in local machine gun matches and I think this would be the most practical gun for that type of competition.
M3: This is one that I would really like to have just because I have always liked it. I was actually issued one of these in the US Military in the early 1980s.
Then of course if I could have anything, I might just go for the most expensive thing I could lay hands on and sell it. I normally don't sell guns but when you are talking about 20-30k I could get interested in it.