IF you could only have 3 Powders.

reinert

I could get by just fine in these days and times, and my shooting needs at present, using these three propellants:

Varget, H110 and Swiss 1.5fg (the Holy Black)

I’d be covered (and am) quite well.

Wireman134

I'm late to the show but I'd require...
Promo: pistol, subsonic rifle and shotgun
2400: heavy pistol, heavy shotgun and reduced rifle
IMR 4895: HIGH POWER RIFLE

rclark

"I like BE-86 as it did well in all my tests." I have some and never found a load using it that I was impressed with--what did you find worked really well with it? Just curious.
I found it worked well for .44 Special. 7.5g it started to come alive. 8.0g was a good load too. ES was low 20s. Loads before that the ES was in the 50s. Regardless all tests with .44 Special were marked as accurate. In the .32 H&R 4.0 and 4.5 under a 115gn RNFP bullet I marked as accurate. In .45 Colt 8.0gn under 250g RNFP seemed to be the sweet point (for my gun). But didn't mark any load as 'accurate' there. At any rate I could find myself using it down the road if needed. Looks like I didn't test for .357 or .44 Mag which sort of surprised me.... So maybe have to acquire a bottle a run some more tests!

Nick_C_S

Since I pretty much only shoot revolvers these days I could get by with just one... N110.

That's hard core. If this was 1984, I could have written this ^^. Except it would be W296. I hear N110 is great stuff though.

Metal god

I’ve been hesitant to jump in here because as I think about it , this is a hard question . It’s almost easier to answer two powders or four powders . When you add the third you have your mid range rifle and mid range pistol and then you really have to decide do you want magnum pistol or magnum rifle after that .

So my three are

Titegroup
IMR-4895

I use all three and they best suit what I load right now . Titegroup is my fast burning powder that works in every handgun I load and could do shotgun . The 2400 choice is my multi use powder which can be used in both handgun and rifle loads . IMR-4895 has always been the easiest rifle powder I use to get quick accurate loads . It just seems to shoot well regardless of cartridge . It also seems to do well through out the min/max range . I have good loads in all areas of the charge spectrum with multiple calibers . It’s just an easy powder to work with .

Last edited:

hdwhit

Didn't I respond to a similar thread a couple of years ago?

Bullseye (or Sport Pistol)
Unique (or 800X)
IMR 4198