IF you could only have 3 Powders.

MarkCO

E3, H4831SC, TAC. Give me 4, and I'd add a slower pistol/shotgun powder.

Three is really tough, 5 would not be an issue. I shoot light, medium and heavy loads for pistol, shotgun and rifles, so I really want more variety in my choices.

gwpercle

I mainly load cast lead bullets and mainly Handgun Ammo ... a few rifles with cast .

I can survive nicely with :

1.) Bullseye ( or Red Dot )
2.) Unique ( or Universal)
3.) 2400 ( or H110 )

Gary

black mamba

I pretty much only shoot pistols these days, so . . . .

Fast: 700X or American Select
Medium: Unique or Herco
Slow: N105 or 4100

USSR

Like Average_Joe, I only need two:
1. Red Dot for shotgun and pistol
2. IMR4895 for rifle.

Don

rodfac

Handgun: Unique = target velocities up to pretty stout hunting rounds. Also a great rifle cast bullet powder, and of course shotgun...20, 16, & 12...there are loads for it. Win 231 might work nearly as well as Unique, tho you wouldn't be able to get as high velocity with it...but it meters a hellofa lot better than old "Flaming Dirt"!

Rifle: Unique, again, for light gallery loads up to deer killers with cast bullets, and 4895 or 4064 for all the rest. You can't get top velocities with either, but for hunting and targets out to 300 +, they'll do and with fine accuracy as well.

Shotgun: Unique again, tho there may be better choices for the three gages mentioned nowadays. I haven't loaded for shotgun in 20 years...about the time when lead shot prices went through the roof for the first time.

So what's that come to: Unique, 4895 and Unique or some more current shotgun powder.

YMMv Rod

AzShooter

Bullseye
Unique
Trail Boss

Bullseye for very accurate loads in my .38s

Unique for hotter loads with heavier bullets.

Trail Boss, to get the least amount of recoil.

pgdion

Well the first two are easy .... Unique and RL15. I can reload almost anything with those 2. After that, probably RL17 for the third one.

rc

4895 is very versatile for MOST rifle loads.

I'm sure there is a shotgun powder like red dot, clays or similar that will work in most standard pistol loads in place of 231 and and in 12 guage.

I would think a medium powder is also needed with something like Blue Dot or Unique/AA #9 or 296 depending on exactly what you load the most. 4 powders would be a bit more realistic for everything as 296 range powders work for 410, magnum pistol and very small rifle but not standard pistol. Blue Dot might be preferred for 20 guage, and many standard pistol loads and medium warm magnum loads in large pistol cases. If you don't care about max loads in everything your shoot Unique is a very versatile choice.

So maybe
Red Dot
Blue Dot
Unique

or

Universal Clays

You really need to list out all your calibers and look up load data keeping in mind each powder works best over a narrow pressure range. One perfect in a cartridge may be sooty in another due to low pressures because it's too slow and takes up too much space. Some may be too fast and leave too much room leading to inconsistent ignition and shooting position sensitivity. Some may burn clean at 15000cup and others at 35,000cup. It may help to list the pressure range of each caliber and see if you can match up a suitable powder for all of those to use. There is probably a loose association between burn rate, pressure curve and volume needed for each application.

Nick_C_S

For Unique users . . .

I'm curious how many of you who mentioned Unique as one of your "three to keep" have tried BE-86?

The two are virtually the same burn rate (per an Alliant spokesperson here on TFL), but BE-86 meters much better and is flash suppressed.

Unique obviously has the reputation of being versatile. I don't really agree with this notion - at least not how I define it. I've used Unique for years. It's good stuff - not going to argue that. I've gotten my best results in 230gn bullets for 45 ACP; and 125's in 357 Mag. Honorable mention for 124's and 115's in 9mm. But I've never like its metering characteristics. Makes me nervy when loading at the top of the charge weight scale. I phased it out of my inventory a few years ago; but still have loaded ammo - mostly 45 ACP 230's.

Just for grins, I decided to try BE-86. I haven't done a lot of testing with it, but the early returns are very encouraging. I have mostly tested it for emulating factory ammo - due to the flash suppressant. Namely Speer's 357 Mag 135gn GDHPSB; and Speer's 9mm 124gn GDHP +P. And although I came up a little short of matching the factory ammo velocities (I suspect they're using slower propellants), I had great consistency and accuracy. Its burn rate seems to be right were Alliant says it is - which is a good place. I have more testing to do with it, but it sure seems to be great for making range ammo and even a little stronger. And it meters (and looks) exactly like Bullseye and Power Pistol - which is a whole lot better than Unique ;)

rclark

I like BE-86 as it did well in all my tests. But have zero #s of it and have lots of #s of Unique... And Unique does work well even though not the greatest to meter in small quantities (I use different power when going under 6 gr). I have another test to run with BE-86 at some point but haven't seen any on the local shelves in a 'loooong' time even to run the test that I am missing....

ojh

In a pinch I could get along with two Vihtavuori powders: N340 for handguns and N130 for rifles. The third one would be either N310 for low power pistol target loads and the smallest pistol calibers, or N110 for true magnum revolver loads.

Bronco4me

Since OP said three powders, I'd have to choose Unique, Varget & H4831. Not perfect for all pistols and rifles, but provide utility for the end of days.

Electrod47

I could keep my 14 different calibers effective with only 3 powders in some survival scenario using
Red Dot
Unique
Rifle/Pistol/Revolver/Shotgun