IF you could only have 3 Powders.

deerslayer303

If you could only have 3. What would they be? I reload for all three (rifle, pistol, and shotgun) One rifle, One Pistol, One Shotgun. I'm in the thought of I would consolidate my pistol and shotgun and have two Rifle powders. In these times, we gotta take what we can get and the times had me thinking about this over a hot cup of dirty bean juice this morning. You fellers have a Great Day Now!!

Shadow9mm

I would need 4 powders. Varget, Benchmark, Power Pistol and H110.

If I could only have 3, it would be Varget, Power Pistol, H110.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
I could not do it with only 3 powders without giving up a significant amount of the utility of many of the cartridges I load for.

I would need at least 2 different powders for rifles and two for handguns. I need at least two, for each, one fast/medium and one medium/slow to get the full range of performance.

If I chose a fast pistol powder, like Win 231 or Bullseye, I can't get full performance from my magnum pistols. If I chose a slow powder like 2400 or Win 296 they are not suitable for my small pistols rounds,, the best compromise for me would be Unique, which I do already use in many rounds, but Unique can't quite deliver top end magnum performance. For everything else, its does pretty well.

And a similar situation holds with my rifles. I load for over 30 different rounds, rifle and pistol in calibers from .22 Hornet up to .458 Win mag. There is no ONE powder suitable for full performance over that entire range.

2 powders will cover MOST of it, but you need 3 at least to get everything each different round is capable of.

If you can show me 3 powders that between them offer full power performance in cases with charges ranging from 2-3gr to over 70gr of powder rifle, pistol and shotgun, I'd be interested in hearing what they are.

Lots of combinations of powders will cover MOST of that range. I can't think of any that will cover the entire range to the fullest.

rclark

I couldn't do it either really in this day and age. Unique and 2400 just for revolvers. But yet, need a fast burner also, so maybe AA#2 for that as it works well where I use it. Then there is black powder.... Luckily we don't have to live with just a couple powders, so 'if only' just isn't going to happen around here :) . I'll just continue to use True Blue, Green Dot, Red Dot, etc.... as need/want arises.

shortround60

If I had to pick just three

My choices would be HP-38 (All my pistol cartridges), IMR-4064 (All my rifle cartridges) and Lil Gun to round it out (crossover for some pistol, 300 Blackout supers & subs). I don't load for shotgun at the moment.

Mike38

Cheating here a bit, two for rifle and one for both handgun and shotgun.
Large rifle, H4831SC. For .223/5.56, CFE223. For handgun & shotgun, WST.

2ndtimer

Ramshot TAC for .223/5.56, .308, .338 Federal
Power Pistol for 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Magnum and .45 ACP
Ramshot Hunter for .243 Win, .270 Win, .270 WSM, .300 Win Mag *

* might change that to Reloder 26, if I could get my hands on enough to test

Sarge

Higgite wins the internet!

H4895, W231 and W296. I settled on those years ago and don't buy anything else.

Pathfinder45

If you could only have three, it would be because that's all you could get. So then, the correct answer is those three that are available, whatever they are.

Nick_C_S

WW 231

WW 296

Red Dot

Close. WW231, WW296, and Power Pistol.

Reality would be more difficult. And my choices left out rifle. In rifle, I only load for .223 Rem and one propellant - AA2230.

There was a time when I was up to about 13 pistol propellants, when I resolved to pare it down. I think I'm down to about 8 now. My plan is to only purchase (if needed) WW231, Power Pistol, BE-86, & WW296. I have a lot of powder that are not these labels, that I am using up first. So it could be quite a while before I ever have to purchase any more of any kind - if ever.

jetinteriorguy

I could do 4, 2400, 700-X, H335, H4350. These would cover .41mag, .357mag, .38sp, 9mm, .223, 7.62x39, and 6.5CM since these are the calibers I load for.