Ideas for a backup gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

shafter

Whatever you decide to carry for a backup, make sure it's accessible when the situation goes from bad to worse. Ankle holsters are discreet but not practical to draw from.

JustJake

I was thinking about ideas for a backup gun and wanted some feedback.
"Back-up" for what? :confused: What's your primary EDC handgun? Mo' info needed ...

My initial thoughts were a small revolver and an ankle holster but I'd like to hear some thoughts regarding a specific gun and location of carry.

Well, let's say for a second that you're a wannabe-Sonny Crockett. :cool:

You start your EDC dual weapons set-up by holstering your Big-Boy gun (i.e., your primary) in some type of shoulder rig under a covering garment. Usually it's an autoloader, especially if you're a Pro. Next, you choose an ankle holster of appropriate construction to hold your smaller, and hopefully lighter, "back-up" piece, ... say, a 3" 1911 like a Colt Defender or New Agent.

The key there is the ankle rig needs to hold the second gun securely, unless you're okay with walking with a discernible wobble - or gawd-forbid you run with it at some point. Pros-in-the-Know with badges keep theirs strapped super tight, in case they have to chase a drug dealer down the street. Daily foot-pursuits really test the viability of an ankle rig. :eek:

I thought about this some time back but am now seriously considering it.

Because ... maybe ... you were in a gunfight and your primary weapon proved insufficient? :confused:

;)

peacefulgary

If you don't wear shorts often, then YES, a small handgun in an ankle holster makes sense.
I would recommend a Ruger LCR in 9mm since you already carry a Glock 19, so there is no need to carry 2 different calibers.
If the ankle holster doesn't work for you, then maybe a belly band holster.

ballardw

Whatever you decide to carry for a backup, make sure it's accessible when the situation goes from bad to worse. Ankle holsters are discreet but not practical to draw from.
First concealed carry class I went to the instructor carried in an ankle holster. He pointed out that if you have been knocked to the ground the ankle carry may be easier than some of the more traditional, depending on how you land.
He also did point out your pants need to be loose, no peg-leg jeans.

Siggy-06

Ruger LCP in a Dasantis Nemesis pocket holster or in an ankle rig. You wanna go smaller get a NAA Pug in 22 mag.

AK103K

The purpose of my backup gun is in case something happens to my primary gun, broke, lost, out of ammo, etc and I need something reliable for a situation. My carry gun is a Glock 19x and I like the around 4 o'clock position. I don't wear shorts or swim trunks often.

If you're carrying a 19, then a 26 would be the logical choice. The same basic gun that has realistic sights, shoots very much like the bigger gun, and at most the same distances, and can use the larger mags of your primary gun.

I carry a 17 and that's what Ive been using as a back up/second gun for a number of years now. Didnt always think that way, until I realized I could just as easily and comfortably carry the 26 in the same places I normally carried smaller guns that didn't offer the power, shootability, and versatility.

The two places I carry a second gun, are on the ankle and in a Smart Carry.

The ankle holster is only a problem if you don't take the time to get the right holster, and spend some time carrying that way and shooting from it. Like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it in practice. And with a little practice, you can easily, and fairly quickly, draw from seated, kneeling, and standing.

If the first holster isn't comfortable, don't give up. It probably wont be, and there are a lot of holsters to try if it isn't. For me, Ive found only one that's comfortable for 16+ hour wear, and that's the Desantis "Leather Ankle Holster". It has a nice padded back and is very comfortable, once you get used to wearing it.

GALCO Ankle Glove is a distant second. Its OK, but I don't find it near as comfortable as the Desantis.

Things like the old Unkle Mikes ankle holsters, and some of the others that are similar, will make you crazy in under an hour, especially if your active.

The Smart Carry is a GREAT holster, and one Ill never be without again. Youll hear a lot of people bad mouth them, but Id bet they never wore/used one, and don't let the naysaying dissuade you from one. Like anything else, the only way to know, is get one and see how it works for you.

My first SC was for my Seecamp, as I was under the impression the gun had to be "small". Didnt take long to figure out, it was the wrong impression.

Once I figured out the 26 worked just as well, that was the last time I actually carried one of the Seecamps.

One other thing I figured out right quick was, its a lot quicker and easier to get to a gun in a Smart Carry, than it is to one in your pocket, and especially when sitting. The gun sits just below your belt buckle and all you need do, is suck your gut in a little, and slip a couple of fingers in behind it and you have the gun.

I don't normally wear swim trunks either, but its about the only holster I know, that will allow you to wear a "realistic" gun in a pair, unless you're wearing a Speedo. A pair of shorts or sweats, with no shirt, no belt, is no problem at all.

FAS1

I always carry my back up gun around the house. I pocket carry a P3AT and when I go out it still stays in my pocket and I add my G26/CBST.

I do also use it as a primary weapon when needed and with a SmartCarry when walking in the evening through the neighborhood with my wife.

Don Fischer

Not sure I get the idea of a backup gun at all. I carry for protection and even though I've pulled a gun one time, I'd not have been able to get to an ankle gun and probably not a pocket gun! I feel like a lot of people outfit themselves with a firearm as though they were going to war, your really not. I avoid places where I think I might have a need for a gun, simply don't go there! I doubt I'd ever need a gun most the places I go and the one time I pulled it out I was at home. Of course if you simply like to carry around a lot of guns, go for it! If your in a sniper situation and try to respond with your handgun, good chance your gonna get yourself shot. It reach's a point, and not that far, that the guy with a handgun is simply gonna lose and should be looking for the door! The only reason I carry all the time is because if for some reason I actually needed it in places I'd go, it wouldn't be much use to me home on the headboard of the bed, well, and because I can!

One of the guns I'd looked at for a carry gun was that little LCP Smith but the handle was simply to small for my hand. Haven't shot one but my son say's they recoil pretty hard. Not to surprising as that is one little gun.

If I was going to carry a backup in an ankle holster, I think I'd just carry my 1917 Savage in 32 ACP. Very light gun and low recoil. I don't believe you need an atomic bomb for a back up. Come to think of it. Years ago I had a little Ace semi auto handgun. Looked just like a 1911 but very small and light and it was a 22 RF. Wouldn't mind having that gun in 32 ACP for a carry gun! Bad mouth the 32 ACP but let me know when your ready to take one in the chest so you can prove it's useless!

CDW4ME

One thing I don’t get, why would you carry a gun of a different caliber for a BUG? I carry a compact 9mm and if I wanted a backup it would be an LCR in 9mm. This way I could strip ammo from the mag on the disabled gun and reload the revolver if I absolutely needed it.

Your idea seems reasonable, ...
PM9 in my weak hand front pocket and a Glock 19 IWB
PM40 in my weak hand front pocket and a Glock 23 IWB

Breaks down with 357 Sig and 10mm.
If I carry my Glock 35 with 357 Sig barrel, I don't have a pocket size 357 Sig.
If I carry my Glock 20SF, I don't have a pocket size 10mm and wouldn't attempt to shoot it one hand weak hand if I did. ;)

MJ45

a lot of people bad mouthing ankle carry. i use an ankle holster with a BG380. it's a back up gun, not main carry. another note, ankle carry is very easy to get while sitting in your car, a big plus.

a lot of people bad mouthing ankle carry. i use an ankle holster with a BG380. it's a back up gun, not main carry. another note, ankle carry is very easy to get while sitting in your car, a big plus.
And usually carried by LEO's. Glad I do not live in a area where so much firepower is needed as posted by some. A backup is not practical for my EDC. I have never carried a backup and see no reason to. And a weight strapped around one leg all day, every day is not going to happen. Most especially some of the larger guns as posted here. Repetitive use injuries and imbalance issues are real. Count how many steps you take in a average day and they add up. Now multiply that by a month etc. A ankle holster? Not practical for myself any more than buying a shoe that weighs double, or more, than weight of my other shoe. When you buy shoes on the internet, they will list the weight of the shoe. How funny it would be to see a shoe that advertises something like left shoe 10oz, Right shoe 40oz. Which leads into the fact that maybe you need a built up shoe for the side you carry. Look at the bottom of any shoe and you can see (in most cases where a imbalance issue occurs) one shoe wearing different from the other. That is a imbalance just like tires on a vehicle
If for some crazy reason, I actually needed to carry a backup in a ankle holster, I would go ahead and carry one on each leg. By the way, ankle weights are not made for walking. They are made to do exercises for building up muscle, usually for healing a injury and used just like any other weight. Think for a minute of what that extra weight will affect. Calf mucles, thigh muscles etc. All becoming tight. And those tight muscles will pull on different areas of the body from foot to neck.
I get a kick out of some of the things on the internet. Just for the heck of it, I looked up to see if they made a ankle holster for a Glock 19. And sure enough they do. I did get a good chuckle and the thought of how the guy that carries one all day, walks by the end of a week. Practical EDC? Different strokes for different folks.

Some common injuries you might be interested in to prevent Bone Spurs,Plantar Fasciitis, Policeman's heel, hip injuries, etc.

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/plantar-fasciitis-and-bone-spurs

Last edited:

AK103K

It all about choice and what works for you. I think a lot of people don't give a lot of things enough time, or put in the effort to actually figure out what works and what doesn't, and they expect instant gratification and if they don't get it, it cant possibly work. For them, and if not them, then no one else either. And that goes for any holster, not just ankle holsters.

Another big issue is the person themselves. We all have our issues, for whatever reason, and some things just wont work, because "we" are out of the "norm". Thats in no way the holsters fault.

And then there's always "want" vs "cant". Mentality is also a big part of all this.

If Id based ankle carry on that first Unkle Mikes holster I bought back in the 80's, Id have never carried a gun on my ankle again. Miserable POS that they are, they arent the only ones. Luckily.

Ankle carry isn't something you're just going to throw the holster on and go about your business like nothing ever happened. Its going to be different, and likely, very different, until you get used to it. Its going to take time and effort to figure out, just like anything else. Its no different than any other holster that tends to interact with your body, beyond OWB carry with proper gear.

Find the right holster, spend a little time with it, and you can wear it all day in comfort, without thought. Get the wrong holster, and Ill guarantee you, you'll know its there every miserable second.

As far as carrying a back up at all, it can have other various reasons for doing so beyond just "arming up".

A long trip in the car and you carry your primary where you cant quickly and easily access it while seated and belted it. I prefer to have the gun(s) on me, and not worry about leaving it in the car, or unnecessarily handling it when I go to get out.

Another reason is as a hand off gun to someone with you that doesn't want to bother carrying theirs all the time, which seems to be a pretty common thing with a lot of people once the "cool" aspect of carrying a gun wears off and the reality as to what doing it all the time really is sets in.

I have a couple of buddies who are like this. They only carry when they think its needed, which Ive never understood, but hey, thats their choice. They really arent the ones that make the choice about when you might need it, but, whatever.

Ive carried two in the past knowing at some point in the day Im going to have to take off my primary because of dress or other requirements and I wont be able to fiddle or change to adjust. One comes off and goes in a lock box, and all I need do, is tighten my belt a little.

And sometimes we just feel more comfortable having that second gun, for whatever reason. Or no reason necessary at all.

If you don't want to do it, by all means don't. Do whats most comfortable for you, but do it every day too. ;)

If you think you want to carry a second gun, even if its just on occasion, take the time and effort to figure out what will work best for you, ahead of time, and you'll be all set.

If you don't do that, its likely not going to work out well, and you're likely going to be miserable and constantly fiddleing with things because of it.

CDW4ME

Glad I do not live in a area where so much firepower is needed as posted by some.

I live in an "excellent area".
Been carrying 25+ years and never "needed" a single bullet for SD so carry is not based on perceived "need" / "anticipated" threat.
What I would prefer in hand to defend myself is not reduced because I'm standing in a nice spot.

Whether at Walmart (area of greater anticipated threat ;) ) or walking the dogs, my carry is the same.

"Excellent area" needs pics:
I can walk to here:
attachment.php

I can also walk to here:
attachment.php

What I'm carrying now and in the surf fishing pic
Glock 20SF along with PM9 for weak hand front pocket.
attachment.php

I have no intention of "needing" any of that, but "just in case" I do, hard to go wrong with 16 rounds 10mm. :)

Attachments

• FLsummer6.jpeg
    FLsummer6.jpeg
    707.7 KB · Views: 190
  • FLcarry8.jpg
    FLcarry8.jpg
    1,000.5 KB · Views: 207
  • EDC3.jpg
    EDC3.jpg
    738.3 KB · Views: 190

Don Fischer

And usually carried by LEO's. Glad I do not live in a area where so much firepower is needed as posted by some. A backup is not practical for my EDC. I have never carried a backup and see no reason to. And a weight strapped around one leg all day, every day is not going to happen. Most especially some of the larger guns as posted here. Repetitive use injuries and imbalance issues are real. Count how many steps you take in a average day and they add up. Now multiply that by a month etc. A ankle holster? Not practical for myself any more than buying a shoe that weighs double, or more, than weight of my other shoe. When you buy shoes on the internet, they will list the weight of the shoe. How funny it would be to see a shoe that advertises something like left shoe 10oz, Right shoe 40oz. Which leads into the fact that maybe you need a built up shoe for the side you carry. Look at the bottom of any shoe and you can see (in most cases where a imbalance issue occurs) one shoe wearing different from the other. That is a imbalance just like tires on a vehicle
If for some crazy reason, I actually needed to carry a backup in a ankle holster, I would go ahead and carry one on each leg. By the way, ankle weights are not made for walking. They are made to do exercises for building up muscle, usually for healing a injury and used just like any other weight. Think for a minute of what that extra weight will affect. Calf mucles, thigh muscles etc. All becoming tight. And those tight muscles will pull on different areas of the body from foot to neck.
I get a kick out of some of the things on the internet. Just for the heck of it, I looked up to see if they made a ankle holster for a Glock 19. And sure enough they do. I did get a good chuckle and the thought of how the guy that carries one all day, walks by the end of a week. Practical EDC? Different strokes for different folks.

Some common injuries you might be interested in to prevent Bone Spurs,Plantar Fasciitis, Policeman's heel, hip injuries, etc.

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/plantar-fasciitis-and-bone-spurs
I can see LE carrying a back up weapon. Their job sends them into the fight! But the best self defense I can think of is escape and evade. In that case if I can get out with taking out the gun, great! The only time I ever pulled a gun was here at home. Little trouble with a local drug addict. Soon as I pulled the gun he stopped advancing. Had a few more words to say and left. If I was carrying my P-89 with it's 15 round magazine I can't imagine having to go for a back up gun. Even if I did, I could reload my P-89 quicker than I could get a gun from an ankle holster. I'm 75 and I just don't bend over that well anymore! Then again if your gonna carry a back up, why not carry two or even three?

I spent 30 yrs driving OTR trucks and have been into every hell hole in the US many times. I always went in armed and never one time had to pull out a gun. Simple awareness of where your at and what's going on around you. Bear in mind you retaliate with a weapon of your own the one getting shot could be you! always avoid the gun fight if you can.

Moonglum

The only time I've ever considered a backup gun was in the winter when I was wearing a heavy coat. I carried a smaller gun in my pocket so I didn't have to fight my way through my parka to get to my primary.

I just can't conceive of a likely scenario in which I would need a BUG. A BUG takes up space that could be better used for things I'm actually likely to need such as OC.

The only time I've ever considered a backup gun was in the winter when I was wearing a heavy coat. I carried a smaller gun in my pocket so I didn't have to fight my way through my parka to get to my primary.

I just can't conceive of a likely scenario in which I would need a BUG. A BUG takes up space that could be better used for things I'm actually likely to need such as OC.
Funny you mention that. I was watching a movie recently and the main character was walking on a cold day with his hand in his coat pocket. A guy came out from behind a building and put a gun to the guy. Out of know where the main character pulled his gun out of his coat pocket so fast and shot the bad guy before he knew what happened. Heck, I had to replay it a couple of times.
Many times when dark, I will walk to my car with my Pico in the palm of my hand. No one can see it. And a gun in the hand can be mighty quick.

jag1954

I don't carry a back up, but if I were to I'd go with the S&W 642. I switch mine out with my Hellcat as my EDC. Lightweight, will pack a punch (rated for .38spl +P - which I shot today at the local gun club) and easy to conceal.

ATN082268

Funny you mention that. I was watching a movie recently and the main character was walking on a cold day with his hand in his coat pocket. A guy came out from behind a building and put a gun to the guy. Out of know where the main character pulled his gun out of his coat pocket so fast and shot the bad guy before he knew what happened. Heck, I had to replay it a couple of times.
Many times when dark, I will walk to my car with my Pico in the palm of my hand. No one can see it. And a gun in the hand can be mighty quick.

Wouldn't it be even quicker to just shoot through the coat?

Status
Not open for further replies.