I might have a problem?

Jimro

Did you trim your brand new Winchester brass before you loaded? If the brass is long it could "pinch" the bullet and cause a pressure spike.

Jimro

603Country

I'm thinking the same as a couple of ya'll are...maybe the bullet isn't getting released from the case neck. From a list of what the problem probably isn't:
- Primer was the right one
- Powder appears to be the H4831
- 7MM bullet in 7MM rifle, so probably Ok there
- factory ammo shoots (I think he said), so the rifle is Ok

Now, if we do assume that the bullet is the correct weight (which the OP can read off the box), we are running out of possibilities. Is he seating the bullet really really deep? Probably not. I think that leaves us with case neck issues. Either the case is way too long or the case wall thickness is too much for a tight custom chamber.

I'd take a factory round and a handload and sit em side by side and measure them in every possible direction and compare the results. Something is wrong with the handload, and if it's not the powder, I think it's the case. Gotta be.

Jim243

the rounds chambered well and when we fired the bolt was tough to raise and very tough to bring back to the open position

My guess is it is the scale not the case. Definately high pressure load, but why???

Jim

SHR970

Was this from a new batch of powder?

The distributors have been known for accidently putting the wrong powder in the bottle from time to time. If it is from a new container, I would be on the horn to Hodgdons with the lot number in hand and let them know you may have a problem.

My load data said starting load at 55gr and max load at 58 gr
Using Hodgdon powder is a personal choice. But not necessarily the right one? If I had such a problem not knowing what the cause? 1.--I'd dump out the powder!! 2.--check & reset my scale. 3.--mic my bullets for caliber. 4.-- buy a new pound of IMR 4831 instead.---I have 2-Hornady manuals a Spear and a older Lyman for reference only that I've been looking at tonight in your behalf. All current manuals suggest the use of IMR-4831 and not the slower burning of the two >H-4831. Questions you have to ask yourself? Your loading data is correct and up to date? Can you really trust that powder? &/or bullets you were using were they actually 28 caliber? Just like the other posts. >"These are my thoughts on your event LOUD."<

dacaur

The current hornady manual (#8) shows H4831, @ 54.6-59.9gr. However, looking at it, IMR 4831 might be a better choice of the two, unless the problem turns out to be too long brass, in which case a faster burning propellant might create a higher pressure spike?

LOUD

Ok Folks, well I pulled a few bullets, the bullets were exactly .284 in diameter, they were within one half grain of being 175 gr , the case length was 2.494 give or take .002 .I then wieghed the powder charge ,it was within .1/10 of a grain of being 57 grains + or- and it was indeed H4831 . The same afternoon we loaded 59 grains of powder under a 180 gr projectile from the same pound in 30/06 and the rifle fired beautifully . Im still stumped it ,seems that this rifle fires factory rounds fine but 57 gr of H4831 is too much?.....................LOUD

ps. oh, I never crimp rifle ammo , or at least I havent found a need to yet

dacaur

You still have not said what bullets you are using....

Not that it matters. You have happend upon the reason you are supposed to start at the "starting" load, so you can look for pressure signs as you increase the load. Many times you will get to the max load before you see any pressure sign's.... but sometimes you will start to see pressure signs before you get there, like, perhaps, at 57gr in one specific gun with specific bullets..... ;)

You best bet, start at the starting load of 55gr and see what happens, or, change to a different bullet. Or choose a more sutible powder. From what I can see, magpro or RL-25 would be better.

(1) He doesn't have many answers, he didn't check case length (nor trim), there was no COAL mentioned (several sources state a max of 3.290") nor did he mention who's bullet he was using, he didn't start with a starting load. (2) He could have a short throat, he could have a tight neck not allowing the neck to expand to release the bullet, he could have a tight bore, his scale may be off, he could have stopped after the first round but didn't. (3) I think he's lucky because it could have been worse, I sincerly hope he figures out his problem and adhers to starting with a starting load next time. It's not uncommon to find either a long or short throat in a Custom rifle FWIW. (4) I do remember when I started many years ago, I didn't know very much but I read everything I could get my hands on, above all I was cautious... William

Last edited:

AllenJ

603Country wrote:
I'd take a factory round and a handload and sit em side by side and measure them in every possible direction and compare the results. Something is wrong with the handload, and if it's not the powder, I think it's the case. Gotta be.

Since all your components seem to be correct try 603Country's advice. If everything measures good we'll have to assume your gun does not like near max loads.

mehavey

Loud,

Whose/what bullet were you using?
and at what OAL?

...and do you know (have you determined) the distance-to-lands for that bullet in your rifle?

LOUD

ok folks more info, my aol on this batch is 3.290 the factory ammo that it shot fine has a aol of 3.200 but a lighter projectile 139 gr . my distance to lands on this rifle is 3.450 with the same projectile. I didnt mention the brand of bullet because I dont know . I bought them bulk on the internet , in their defense they weigh and measure right. also the four fired cases have absolutely no neck tension if you put a projectile in it ............still scratching ...........LOUD

603Country

Well, just go back to the starting load (book's suggested starting load), load em to factory length, and shoot a couple. If that works Ok, then your maximum is not the same as published and recommended maximums. At least you'll know that the rifle will work with a handload and you can go from there - more powder and loaded longer.

LOUD

no they dont stick to a magnet , they weigh and measure correctly , they look to be hornadys ,but not sure , I bought them bulk they arent oversize or over weight ......nothing wrong with the projectiles , the bore isnt tight because I can take a projectile and with just a little effort I can force one into the end of the rifles barrel so thats not it . Cases are not overlength , every dimension is on spec . The primers are brand new CCI LRM so I dont think that is it....I keep going back to the powder . Remember this rifle fires factory (Federal Fusion 139gr) perfectly . I just think 57 gr H4831 is just too much! This evening the daughter and I pulled the rest of them apart and weighed another modest sample ,all 57 gr . Ill later reload some again at the beginning load and see what happens. Thanks for the helpful input , Ill let you know what happens...............LOUD

hooligan1

Hey Loud, I had this very problem with H4831, but mine was "short cut", which is labled H4831 sc.... And like you I started with the books recommended starting weight,,,, I only shot one group of four rnds and all were hard to extract so I just quit using that powder and weent on to another, like IMR 7828, H1000, Imr 4831,,,,,,, and so on, but be careful,,,,, and I think it's cool to include your daughter in your handloading........ just make sure she only works with you there!!!!;)

briandg

Short cut, iirc, was the exact formula of 4831 regular. it was cut into shorter sticks. This was meant to give better flow and measurement, and allow it to settle into a slightly denser load.

This process does increase powder surface exposure a great deal. This will under some circumstances increase the rate of ignition. It can contribute to high pressures.

I'm at a loss to offer anything specific about this problem. I do suggest that the OP go to his local store and try a different bullet brand. what he bought was probably bulk winchester or remington, would be my guess.

maybe a lighter bullet with a slightly faster powder like 4350 is in order. I personally would completely retire that entire lineup, generic bullets, 4831, and 175 grain weights until there was a lot of other experiementation done.

LOUD

ok folks , I went back to the drawing board and started at my manuals starting load and guess what , my rifle still doesnt like the handload with 54.6 grains H4831. I fired two rounds and they both were a pain to extract. so Ill try a different powder or projectile or both . Again we fired about ten factory loads as a control , again they worked beautifuly. The handloads were dimensionaly identical to the factory loads yet they swelled enough to be hard to extract . I do find it odd that the powder bottle mentions a load for this chambering at I think 60 grains when it seems like my rifle doesnt want any of it..............strange........................LOUD

dacaur

wow thats really weird.... you said you measured the bullets? What if you pull a factory bullet and load it with the 55gr load? (assuming its 175gr too)...