I hate 1911s

AlaskaMike

"Uh no. Not even CLOSE to the potential of the 1911. Fragile design, modest accuracy, horrendous trigger, hammer bite, slide bite, and they turn into rattle traps fairly quickly.

The front strap can’t even be checkered properly. That’s how weak and thin the frame is."

Fragile design? You've got to explain that. The High Power has an enviable record of reliable service in horrendous conditions and extremely hard military and civilian use.

Modest accuracy is a chimera. Comparing a stock 1911 design to a High Power, accuracy is generally similar from the box.

Hammer bite? I've never had a problem with hammer bite from either a 1911 or a High Power. Of course, the 1911 design is so impervious to hammer bite that there are no options for extended beavertail safeties for the 1911. Not a one can be found anywhere for sale, either as a drop in unit or a custom unit...

Yeah, the trigger on the stock P35 is generally pretty darned bad, compliments of the magazine safety. If, however, the magazine safety is pinned out (gunsmith task, generally) the trigger on the P35 can be quite nice.

Regarding checkering the front of the front strap, I've never understood the desire to checker the absolute crap out of every surface that might be touched.

The biggest reason the P35 doesn't need nilly willy checkering all over the place is because it, unlike the 1911, actually fits the average hand.

But, regarding fragility, I'll admit, you've got a point there. I've lost count of how many times I've crushed the frame on my High Power just picking it up off the shelf in the gun safe, or having it leave a chunk of slide behind when I pull it off the magnet when I use it as my living room gun.

I've had my P35 for close to 30 years. I've got probably 15,000 rounds through it, and it's as tight today as it was the day I bought it from my neighbor.

Sorry, I don't buy, in the very least, your arguments against the P35.
I couldn't agree more with this.

I was not really a Hi Power guy until I happened to buy one of the last production FN guns from CDNN Sports years ago on a whim. It has turned out to be one of my favorite handguns.

I certainly haven't put as many rounds through mine as Mike Irwin has put through his, but I have every confidence my Hi Power will last just as long as my 1911s.

If it were a double-action gun, instead of single action, I'd very be carrying a High Power as my primary CCW. That's how much I like the platform.

Wag

+1 on NOT checkering every dang thing under the sun. Can't tell you how many grip sets I've changed out because the checkering on it was just annoying as hell.

--Wag--

jar

If it were a double-action gun, instead of single action, I'd very be carrying a High Power as my primary CCW. That's how much I like the platform.

Carried in a Kramer IWB.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Probably the finest utter failure ever created. DA/SA or DAO, even slimmer than the HP, natural pointer and jess plain nie perfect.

Attachments

• BDM-01.gif
    BDM-01.gif
    358.1 KB · Views: 208
  • Kramer-#2-back.jpg
    Kramer-#2-back.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 211
I've talked about the BDM any number of times over the years and how much I like it. It's a real shame that it simply never took off.

I was working for American Rifleman magazine when we got one of the pre-production guns to review for the magazine. I really liked it, but I LOVED it when it was switched from double-single mode to revolver mode. Unfortunately, I lived in DC at the time and was poor, so I was never able to swing getting one, and then they went out of production.

But... it's not even close to the same hand feel as a High Power. Still good, but not the same, and that's one thing I truly love about the High Power is the hand feel.

Jim Watson

A guy here really liked the BDM, he wore out three of them in frequent practice and matches. The last time I saw him, he was carrying one of them with the slide crack welded up.

I have never seen a FN HP DA, they did not catch on and I doubt there are many out there.

jar

I actually prefer the hand feel of the BDM to the HP. All my HPs and clones have gone on to Forever Homes but the BDM is still here almost three decades later. Still gets to go WalkAbout and in the old Kramer just seems to disappear. It does get to choose 10 round or 15 round magazines though.

claiborne

I understand how you feel about hating a gun so bad you feel compelled to buy one anyway, I'ts called respect!
When I decided to liquidate my collection of firearms to suit my new life-style, I kept 2 handguns, a Colt 1911a1 45 and a Colt King Cobra 22.
Becuse I love shooting them.
I'm thinking I need to get another Glock 19 though, because even though I have hated every Glock I have owned, I have great respect for their uitility.
So I feel you bro...in your shoes, it's hard to not want another 1911 even if you hate em.
The truth shall set you free!

JustJake said:
Most 1911s - out of the box - will jam unless tuned.
In more than 50 years of shooting and testing 1911s, I have encountered very few that malfunctioned straight out of the box. They are more likely to malfunction after some self-styled gunsmith has decided to "improve" them.

jar

I hate 1911s so much I try to make sure folk don't notice that I'm carrying one and only see something else.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Andrews-Army-Tegu.jpg
    Andrews-Army-Tegu.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 124

Ricklin

No thanks

I bought a Tisas from Bud's about 3-4 years ago now. I figured I needed to own one before I said Meh...no thanks. I prefer my .22's and others at the range.
I shoot my G19 better, it holds about double and 9mm defensive ammo is plenty. I've got the trigger time with the Glock, I'd rather fight than switch. Then there is always the fact that the Glock does not need wheels for portability. The vaunted grip angle is also lost on me, I'm on target with the Glock doing a closed eyes drill. Not so the 1911.

Probably the finest utter failure ever created. DA/SA or DAO, even slimmer than the HP, natural pointer and jess plain nie perfect.
If the thumb safety worked the other way, maybe it would be perfect. Up for fire is just stupid.

jar

If the thumb safety worked the other way, maybe it would be perfect. Up for fire is just stupid.
Actually Forward for fire was very very common and for over a century in quite a few pistols from quite a few manufacturers. The S&W Wonder Nines were push forward for fire. Even as the location of the safety moved about the slide or frame the two actions, swipe down or forward had supporters and detractors.

But wait; there's more. There was also the two different steps school of thought that really covered the gamut and meant there were two totally different motions and even items involved ranging from the depress grip safety which put it in fire mode until a button is punched to release the grip safety and the swipe lever down for fire and push button for safe. There were safeties towards the rear and safeties in front of the grips and safeties on the frame and on the slide and even on the rear of the slide and even cross bolt safeties.

Fortunately humans are multipurpose, multi-function critters and can learn to adapt to all of them.

44caliberkid

Most 1911s - out of the box - will jam unless tuned.
Absolutely not true. I own 1911’s from 5 different companies and none of them jam. I have seen people that 1911’s jam on. They will shoot just fine for other people, but you put it in their hands and it will fail to fully eject or feed. Some might blame limp wristing, but there is just something that they’re doing that it doesn’t work for them.