I hate 1911s

Lurch37

Pop quiz: Do you know the reason why the 1911/A1 has grip screw bushings in the first place??

My understanding is the bushing acts a spacer of sorts, preventing the overtightening of the grip screws and thus NOT splitting your wood grips, which are somewhat thin to begin with.

44 AMP said:
Parts must be hand fitted? Total BS, at least in regard to guns made to USGI specs.

The issue is real when dealing with guns and parts NOT made to GI specs. Everybody and their Uncle Max is making a "1911" of some kind now days, and they are NOT being made to the original specs, different makers change the specs on some parts, calling them "improvements" or "proprietary designs" so those parts don't fit with other companies products, but some people think that is a flaw in the original design. Its not, never was, can't be. Its a flaw in the production of guns called 1911, but not made to those specs.

I was an Army Small Arms repairman while the M1911A1 was the primary service pistol. GI parts are all "plug and play" NO FITTING REQUIRED. This was INTENTIONAL. If a part needed to be hand fitted, it was defective, and it was trashed and replaced with a part that would drop in and work without any fitting.

Many different private companies made part for the GI 1911A1s during WWII, but they were required to make them to GI specs AND had govt inspectors checking the parts. Modern private companies don't have to do that, and many simply don't.
^^^ What he said.

Too much comes down to the manufacturer. Does anyone remember when SIG Arms first decided to enter the 1911 market? They brought in a supposedly well-regarded 1911 pistolsmith to head up their operation, they had their slides and frames made by Caspian Arms, and they started churning out "1911" pistols. Which didn't work.

So they actually shut down production and revamped the entire operation. Sig blamed it on Caspian and cancelled the contract' leaving Caspian with a bunch of frames and slides that were made to Sig's design, not to standard 1911 profiles. So Caspian sold those Sig frames and slides as kits -- and do-it-yourself gunsmiths all across the country snapped them up and built pistols that work just fine, thank you.

Meanwhile, Sig's second generation 1911s didn't fare much better than the first generation, and they had to revamp the production for a second time. By the third time around, they mostly got it right and if you buy a Sig 1911 today it will probably work.

A long time ago I knew some of the folks at Para-Ordnance, when they were still in Canada. Their quality control manager (whom they hired away from the aerospace industry) kept a set of US Ordnance Department blueprints for the USGI M1911A1 in his office. That was their standard, and off the shelf 1911 parts have always worked in Para pistols.

Drm50

Far as I’m concerned there are only 2 handguns that are worth trusting your life to. The Colt 1911, pre series 70s- G.I. Issue and S&W K & N frame revolvers of the P&R era. Both these guns are expensive to make. That’s why I mentioned cut off periods for both. It’s also why even new Colts and S&Ws are going down the tubes because of cuts in manf
to cheapen them.
Who thought 35-40yr ago that Mossberg would take over shotgun sales and Savage near the top of BA rifle sales. These were the guns you bought if you couldn’t afford anything better. I believe that same thing is going to happen with handguns. Ruger is waiting in the wings to see who wins the race to the bottom. Then they will step in and take all.
I was at a show last weekend. I have a 50th anniversary of the S&W m29/presentation case-ect, a virgin NIB. A guy wanted it bad and was trying to trade me a Tisa with all kind of aftermarket crap on it for $1000 toward the m29. We have Royal King stores that runs that Turk junk for as low as $249.95 on special. He got mad when I told him I would allow him $200, if he had the box and thru in all the original stuff he replaced. Low end 1911s are junk. I’ve got 3 keepers, all Colts and I only shoot 230 ball and never have any trouble.

44 AMP

Staff
The fun thing to remember about John M. Browning's iconic 1911 is that he made an improved version called the Browning/FN HiPower P-35.

No, sorry, but he didn't. Browning designed and made a prototype, and perhaps 2 or 3 toolroom guns, and then passed away.

FN finished the design, with Belgian engineers reworking the design considerably, including among other changes a magazine disconnect requested by the French, who then never bought any...

FN said they kept Browning's name on the gun as a sign of respect, which I think, in reality was to use the Browning name for its sales appeal.

The P.35 Hi Power was not designed or made by JM Browning. He began the design and then died. FN turned that prototype into a significantly different pistol. Had Browning lived to finish work on the pistol I think it would be quite different.

wild cat mccane

It's the 2011 makes no sense for cost to me. Mags are on gen3 and still a problem in the most popular 2011 gun right now.

Sense. There is none if you mag is broken but you're selling 2K+ guns.

44 AMP

Staff
having reached the age of majority back when the retail price of a brand new Colt Govt Model was about $150, I am more than a bit disinclined to purchase any handgun listing at $2000, let alone a 1911A1.

What I cannot fathom is people charging that kind of money, making a design that has been in use over a century and HAS ALL the bugs worked out, producing a pistol that does not work flawlessly with standard ammunition.

And, even more baffling to me is that despite the high price and the flaws, people still BUY THEM. :eek::rolleyes:

Then some gripe about the flaws, and what a POS this $2k gun is, to which I must respond, "then WHY did you buy it???? :rolleyes:

tangolima

They don't really hate 1911. They just want to whine. I met people who whine about the BMW they just bought. Picking the right model is very stressful task, to them.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

wild cat mccane

By threads on forums, the 92 and Sig P series with a lot more service hour use over a greater amount of time (I could be wrong)...all be no interest anymore.

The Sig STR trigger is probably the fastest resetting trigger and that's the "feature" to aspire to today.

Aren't we a finicky creature.

jar

By threads on forums, the 92 and Sig P series with a lot more service hour use over a greater amount of time (I could be wrong)...all be no interest anymore.

The Sig STR trigger is probably the fastest resetting trigger and that's the "feature" to aspire to today.

Aren't we a finicky creature.
At the risk of pulling the thread further off topic, the fastest most amazing trigger reset of all the pistols I own and have shot has to currently be the Tisas Zigana "K". I swear that rest on it is simply a thought.

attachment.php

Attachments

• left-side.jpg
    left-side.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 330

wild cat mccane

I thought Walther had the best by a long shot.

When I picked up my P226 Elite with SRT, I can see I was way wrong. It's a thought too. Just think without feeling a release, reset. Crazy.

I don't like the look of the rest of the pistol, but that front slide profile very aesthetically pleasing. Forward serrations ruined the look of slides :)

jar

I thought Walther had the best by a long shot.

When I picked up my P226 Elite with SRT, I can see I was way wrong. It's a thought too. Just think without feeling a release, reset. Crazy.

I don't like the look of the rest of the pistol, but that front slide profile very aesthetically pleasing. Forward serrations ruined the look of slides :)
The Zigana "F" & "K" models are about the same size as the Sig 226 and 220. A little wider but DA/SA and the safety is also a decocker. The reset is both audible and tactile but I swear the trigger itself can't move more than a hair width. And with an MSRP under $300.00 might be even less expensive than my Sig P series were all those decades ago.

It does feel German Sig P series though in hand and in function.

Ernest T Bass

Cheap ones let me down. This time I'm thinking of a Colt Lightweight Commander.

I love my 1911's. I own three Colts and two Springfields. Maybe if I ever bought a cheap one, I would feel the same as you. But I started with Springfield and Colt, and my experience has been stellar.

I'm a revolver guy, but about a decade ago I became "1911 curious", and bought my first Springfield. That was the gateway drug that led to my 1911 addiction.

For what it's worth, I don't carry my 1911's because I'm kind of a small guy. They're just for range fun. Maybe if I carried one daily it might get to be a bit much, but then again maybe not. I really like them a lot!

Hanshi

I love the 1911 and wish I had more of them. They fit my hand so well I shoot them rather easily. I do still have a few.
Colt super .38 modified.
DSC00420.jpg

Custom worked .45 acp.
DSC00406.jpg

My worked over Combat commander.
9af3188d-d8d2-4cd5-b6be-236f7b21ad44-zps5e035ba4.jpg

Kimber of Oregon .45 acp Ultra Carry.
e4408652-1565-42e9-8d28-178c8a761f75-zps714c4c10-1.jpg

"Far as I’m concerned there are only 2 handguns that are worth trusting your life to. The Colt 1911, pre series 70s- G.I. Issue and S&W K & N frame revolvers of the P&R era."

Well, I agree with half of that statement. :)

Metric

I like 'em. I really like 'em.

But, they are big. And also heavy. To the extent that it's hard to actually have one with me under most circumstances. And I do like a gun that I can have with me.

CleanDean

There is nothing wrong with a 1911 in “ God’s Calliber”
But as I think about combat .45 pistols …
There is everything right about a Sig P220 & also the P227