I find it ironic

No, they had a particular and specific reason for that.

The louts and imbeciles were/are those individuals who bought into the wrong terminology through sloth, indolence, ignorance, and avarice, who proudly showed off their Winchester Model 1894s while saying "I need some .30-30 shells."

For shame...

For shame...

Jim Watson

I always thought the .30-30 designation originated with the louts and imbeciles at Marlin who did not want to put "Winchester" or even "WCF" on their products.

And talking about distinctions WITH a difference, one that annoys me more than "magazine vs clip" is reading "bore diameter" or just "bore" for "groove diameter." As in "I slugged my .45 and the bore was .452"."
I bet it wasn't.

Agreed, shotty, revo, and brasser sound juvenile. As does "Mossy."

Hawg

You can call a magazine or a .45 Colt cartridge anything you want to, who cares. But when you call shotgun a shotty, a Remington a remmy or a brass frame gun a brassie, well that just shows poor breeding and upbringing and is just rude and crude

You need to hang around on some of the black powder forums and drive yourself nuts then.:D

If I can only get people to stop calling all of my muzzleloading rifles "muskets".

I'm sure some of them are rifled muskets.:D

B.L.E.

If it doesn't have a lug for a bayonet, it aint no musket!

Dictionary.com said:
musket (n.) "firearm for infantry" (later replaced by the rifle), 1580s, from Middle French mousquette, also the name of a kind of sparrow-hawk, diminutive of mosca "a fly," from Latin musca (see midge). The hawk so called either for its size or because it looks speckled when in flight. Early firearms often were given names of beasts (cf. dragoon), and the equivalent word in Italian was used to mean "an arrow for a crossbow." The French word was borrowed earlier into English (early 15c.) in its literal sense of "sparrow-hawk."

It doesn't matter who renamed it.30-30, now does it? Because it is WRONG and should never be used!

That is apparently the logic that is at work here....

Absolute, 100% precise nomenclature must be used at all times! Deviations, even the most minor, must be eradicated at all costs.

Last edited:

1911Tuner

re:

While I try to use correct terminology and clear, concise descriptions in all things gun, I don't get all butthurt if I hear somebody say "clip" instead of magazine or ".45 Long Colt" instead of .45 Colt. I understand what they're trying to convey, and so do other people who are fluent in Gunspeak.

Mucho ado por nada mucho, IMO. Don't sweat the small stuff.

B.L.E.

We also need to get in the habit of spelling Minié correctly.

It isn't Minnie, that's Mickey Mouse's girlfriend/wife
It isn't Minie
It's M-i-n-i-(alt+130), Minié.

arch308

Good info on the 30-30. I was told that it was originally intended to mean 30 caliber with 30 gns of gunpowder. That was so long ago I can't even remember who told me that.
See, you learn something every day.

Cheapshooter

[QUOTE
The .30-30 Winchester/.30 Winchester Center Fire/7.62×51mmR cartridge was first marketed in early 1895 for the Winchester Model 1894 lever-action rifle. The .30-30 (thirty-thirty), as it is most commonly known, was the USA's first small-bore, sporting rifle cartridge designed for smokeless powder. In Mexico and Latin America, it is known as the treinta-treinta (Spanish for "30-30").

.30 WINCHESTER SMOKELESS first appeared in Winchester's catalog No. 55, dated August, 1895. As chambered in the Winchester Model 1894 carbine and rifle, it was also known as .30 Winchester Centerfire or .30 WCF. When the cartridge was chambered in the Marlin Model 1893 rifle, rival gunmaker Marlin used the designation .30-30 or .30-30 Smokeless.[9] The added -30 stands for the standard load of 30 grains (1.9 g) of early smokeless powder, according to late-19th century American naming conventions for black powder-filled cartridges. Both Marlin and Union Metallic Cartridge Co. also dropped the Winchester appellation as they did not want to put the name of rival Winchester on their products.

The modern designation of .30-30 Winchester was arrived at by using Marlin's variation of the name with the Winchester name appended as originator of the cartridge, though .30 WCF is still seen occasionally. This designation also probably serves to avoid consumer confusion with the different yet similarly-shaped .30-40 Krag, which has been referred to as ".30 US" and ".30 Army". ][/QUOTE]

BigD_in_FL

And now, on to the 410 guage shotgun

OR, how about Caliber versus Cartridge?

9mm is a caliber designation; 9x19 is the cartridge name
45 is a caliber designation; 45ACP is a cartridge name

And on and on it goes......... (don't forget engine versus motor)

Captains1911

I suspect some people here who don't have a problem using the word "clip" when they mean "magazine" don't have any clue what a clip actually is. Just a guess.