I find it ironic

SPEMack618

You don't mess with Clippy.

But hopefully, Clippy has gotten the help he needed and will be okay with being called Magaziniy

Or just being used as a paper clip.

globemaster3

ROTFLMBO! This thread is EPIC! I'm popping some popcorn if anybody wants some!

And how about reloading supplies and the confusion there? (whoops, samauri alert, incomplete sentence!) Ever been to your local component supply location and discover someone asking for bullets, but meaning loaded ammunition? How about asking for cartridges and meaning empty cases for reloading? Or how about "I need some .XXX shells"? What do they mean by that?

And no amount of gun culture knowledge can bridge than gap without some well intended follow up questions, which to some, seem to confuse the matter all the more!

Rumpelhardt

This is mild.
On a well known military surplus firearms web site who's Lee-Enfield forum I frequent there is a long time British armorer who is on a personal crusade to rid the world of all firearms related slang.
Use anything other that the proper UK military manual nomenclature particularly when talking about British weapons and he will verbally kick your behind:eek:;).

Last edited:

Fishing_Cabin

I have known rangemasters in the past that kept a few clip on womens hair bows for the guys to wear when they use the wrong term so they have an, umm constant reminder. Its kinda funny, but hardly popcorn worthy....

How about asking for cartridges and meaning empty cases for reloading?
Fun conversation I had a few weeks back:

"I need cartridges for a 9mm."

"OK, are you looking for target or self-defense ammunition?"

"No, cartridges!"

"I'm...do you mean 'brass?'"

"No, cartridges! Is there someone here who knows what they're doing?"

"We seem to have some confusion on nomenclature..."

[guy holds up a pistol magazine]

"See? Cartridges!"

"Oh. Actually, you mean 'magazines.' What kind of gun is it for?"

"I told you. A 9mm!"

Yeah.

I encountered people like that when I worked on the fun side of the counter at the gunshop...

Had one guy ask me if we carried "things" for guns...

Huh?

You know, things you put guns in?

Soft cases? Hard cases? Shipping boxes?

No! Things you carry them in!

You mean holsters?

Yes!

No. We only have things.... :rolleyes:

carguychris

[guy holds up a pistol magazine]

"See? Cartridges!"

"Oh. Actually, you mean 'magazines.' What kind of gun is it for?"

"I told you. A 9mm!"
"I'm sorry sir, those were banned, and they've all been used up."

:D ;)

deepcreek

Grammar Samurai is disappointed by sentence fragments.

So is Clippy.

Forgot about Clippy. Every time I have to install MS word, I yell at the wife "How do I get this stupid paper clip to go away.." I hate that thing.

TailGator

Here is irony: Last night, my wife told me she found a rifle magazine laying around and left it by my chair. I told her I hadn't seen it and she went off on a hunt for the missing magazine. I actually had seen and put away a spare mag for my .22 rifle (69A) but forgot about it and thought she was telling me about an American Rifleman magazine. She was looking for metal and I was looking for paper.

I had to buy dinner.