I don't want to sound negative.....but

Any .45

what do ya'll think is going to happen with the Isreal vs. Iran situation, it looks like stuff will be hitting the fan. Not only because of Iran but also whats going on with Taiwan and China, I mean bush did say that he would help Taiwan gain their independence, by all means we shouldn't get involved in a civil war, but this will reallly damage trade between us and asia with a war going on over there. Any who if the SHTF and it gets over here, turn to channel 14 code 7 on FRS/GMRS. This is what me and all I around here discussed to do if the SHTF. Because if it does then I don't think cell towers will be working. So what do you think, WWIII or will this just blow over?

Crosshair

Well, with Israel vs Iran, I'm willing to bet that Israel already has plans drawn up for dealing with Iran's nuke program. Much like the 6 day war, Israel will probably be pushed into a corner and have no real choice but to launch a first strike. China vs Tiwan could get interesting.

jefnvk

One problem with your plan is that your radios have a 5 mile range, if that. Wouldn't it be easier to meet?

gifted

I laid down a prediction that if something hits in either area, we're gonna see something black come out into the limelight. Only thing I'm saying about it. Something's gonna blow up, it's just a question of what.

Edward429451

I think its going to get to the falling off point with continued hostilities with the palistinians along with it, and then some guy who looks good on TV will step in and get them to negotiate a 7 year peace treaty, of which the first 3.5 years of said treaty WILL be peaceful...Then SHTF everywhere, WWIII.

I think the key things to watch for is the US cutting political ties with Israel, and a seven year treaty being signed.

tyme

Administrator
If you're serious about wanting to communicate in a SHTF scenario, get a ham license and a decent ham radio (yaesu, icom, kenwood). HAM people tend to be smarter than average, more resourceful than average, and are not sheeple. Even with ctcss/dcs (tone/code squelch schemes), I'd expect FRS frequencies to be jammed with panicky suburbanites.

Some ham radios can be modified to transmit on FRS frequencies, so you don't lose that option and you only need one radio. I don't think any HAM radios are type-approved for FRS, but FCC rules don't apply in emergency situations. Anyway, as long as you don't exceed power limits for FRS ( .5 watts), there isn't any way for others to tell that the radio isn't type-approved.

Any .45

Tyme, and Jefnvk, got it, the FRS radios only have 5 mile, gmrs can go as far as 25 miles. I work for a company that manufacturers long range cordless phones the phones work on PSTN lines and all have a half duplex and full duplex communication between base and handsets, some of the phones go as far as 100 km and the smaller phones go as far 20 km without boosters. The only problem is that they aren't FCC approved so they can only be exported, now when the SHTF, we will probably be able to use them here. Long Range Cordless Phones check them out. :eek:

tyme

Administrator
The site says that handsets operate at 264Mhz (.35 watts), base station at 390MHz (1W). 264MHz is not a good idea in the U.S. because that's in the military aviation range. 390MHz is used by government agencies iirc. The consequences would depend on whether someone's monitoring the frequencies you're using and happens to care that you're using a low-power radio in that range. If you interfere with government or military communications, they're not going to care what kind of emergency you have. Using a frequency politely in an emergency, with care to respect other users, is one thing. Interference is something entirely different.

The idea, I think, behind emergency exceptions to FCC rules is that you can transmit to legitimate users of a particular frequency even if you don't have a license for that frequency or if your radio isn't approved for that band. It does not mean you should arrange to use some restricted rf band to talk to your friends when none of you have licenses for that frequency.

I don't know much about gmrs, other than that you need a license if you want to transmit on gmrs-only freqs (it shares some frequencies with frs) or if you want to transmit on the shared frequencies at over .5 watts. Why bother with a gmrs license when a ham license is much more flexible?

Why would you want to use a long-range cordless phone, anyway? That presumes that your landlines are okay and that the telephone network isn't jammed. The base station also requires electricity... so while you're 20-100km away, you have to hope that generator you had at your house keeps working.

LAK

I don't think any HAM radios are type-approved for FRS, but FCC rules don't apply in emergency situations.

Ahem; when you get a HAM license you become an operator for the Federal government in any declared "national emergency". ;)

Ahem; when you get a HAM license you become an operator for the Federal government in any declared "national emergency".
In a manner, given that the Feds license bandwidth. But it's not exactly like you're drafted or impressed into service. Let's not get carried away.
Rich

Any .45

Tyme,
Again you're correct the sole purpose of the long range unit is the half duplex and full duplex communications, the land line would be used if the land lines are up, but if not you can use the half and full duplex communications. As far as power for the unit goes well lets hope like you said the generators work if not we'll go old school and use wind mills and water mills. I'm an engineer at the company the only phones that work at 264 are the mid-range; this is the 358 the 568 works at 254-258MHZ or you can change the frequency spectrum and lower it to 249-253MHZ. Also to use these here would be only if the SHTF and we need to use illegal frequencies. Like i said before the phones are for export only but if the SHTF, by all means i have a wharehouse full of these. Specs on the phones are 25W and 20W, but this is how the unit is calibrated from factory, once I get to it, I can boost it up to or close to 50W and 35W as long as i don't pass 7.5A more than that the units amplifiers won't last 6 months. :D

LAK

Rich
In a manner, given that the Feds license bandwidth. But it's not exactly like you're drafted or impressed into service. Let's not get carried away.

I believe so. Under the plans for FEMA, and outlined in various EOs I have read, that is the likely de facto case. At any time the regular communications infrastructure is in ruins, you can bank on it being the case. Nothing carried away about that.

If any of the current bills for a "draft" are passed, it will be explicitly so. As the bills contain specifics regarding mandatory civil service.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Lak,

I believe so. Under the plans for FEMA, and outlined in various EOs I have read, that is the likely de facto case. At any time the regular communications infrastructure is in ruins, you can bank on it being the case. Nothing carried away about that.

Considering that licensed ham operators probably outnumber armed Federal Agents lounging about with nothing better to do than conscripting radio buffs, the logistics of that operation are staggering. Maybe that's why they're arming postal inspectors, for the reserve manpower needed...

tyme

Administrator
I'm an engineer at the company the only phones that work at 264 are the mid-range; this is the 358 the 568 works at 254-258MHZ or you can change the frequency spectrum and lower it to 249-253MHZ. Also to use these here would be only if the SHTF and we need to use illegal frequencies. Like i said before the phones are for export only but if the SHTF, by all means i have a wharehouse full of these. Specs on the phones are 25W and 20W, but this is how the unit is calibrated from factory, once I get to it, I can boost it up to or close to 50W and 35W as long as i don't pass 7.5A more than that the units amplifiers won't last 6 months.
Doesn't matter. It turns out 250 all the way to 400 is the military aviation band... not something I'd want to mess with during an emergency, certainly not above a watt or two.

The more I think about it, the more the scenario doesn't make sense. Talking to someone over the phone is not emergency communication unless the call is to something like 911, in which case it is faster simply to get on a ham frequency (or even cb channel 9) and explain your crisis. A lot of police dispatchers, EMS workers, and other public servants hang out on ham frequencies when they're off work, and even those hams who aren't in the public sector tend to have good contacts with emergency personel. HAM is pretty much the standard method of communication during civil emergencies. If you're polite and you have a license and a radio, that would be much more useful than 100 of your long-distance cordless phones and FRS/GPRS radios.

Again, you can communicate in bands you're not licensed to in an emergency, but the idea is that you can give important information to people who are normally allowed to use those bands. For instance, if you can transmit on police/EMS/fire frequencies, you can give them important information during an emergency, or if you personally have an emergency you can call for help on any frequency you want. If they don't consider it an emergency, though, you may get into trouble later. You cannot interfere with other communication, and at any rate using a personal long-distance wireless phone system doesn't strike me as emergency communication.

LAK, I want references for your claim, too.

LAK

Rich,

*Chuckle*

Just home from work, and I do not have the bills handy - but I can sure find them. They have been discussed on 1911forum.com at length - which is shut down for the weekend.

As far as the rest, just go through the piles of government FEMA documents available online with a search engine using keywords like "FEMA Executive Order national emergency" and "disaster" etc. I have not filed them, but I read the EOs concerning this subject; the Federal government under emergency powers - and plans - can take over any and all resources of just about any description, including communications and media etc.

This is not fantasy, it is fact. Just read em.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
LAK,

There are fed.gov plans for collecting 1040's after a nuclear war, which proves that even Presidents and congressmen have some pretty fanciful ideas.

There are 170,000 members of the ARRL. There are thousands of commercial radio stations in this fair land. The largest federal law enforcement agency has not quite 29,000 employees, of which less than 12,000 are armed Special Agents. Do the math.

I suppose there may one day be a law passed or an executive order issued that commands pigs to fly, but I wouldn't count on wingshooting for bacon.

Rojoe67

Wow........

Wow........

Speachless.........

I know - your saying that's a good thing too....... ;)

Wait I do have a question....... Haven't Postal Inspectors always (well, for a long time) been armed. Not that I see that very small amount of folks taking control of lost mail let alone a civilian communication issue? Sorry didn't intend to jab you inspectors......sorta did though didn't I? ( I think Tam has a good sense of humor too)

We should also remember that if such a huge incident took place how many of any agents are going to be leaving their homes and familes to look for a person that is on a radio freq? Just seems a little out there to me. Great topic and thought provoking too....... ;) I guess anything is possible????