how much does caliber affect your purchases?

batmann

I now only buy the calibers i shoot..357M, .44M, 9mm, 22LR, 380 ACP in pistols.
Some calibers are just not practical to buy.

jr24

Caliber is a very significant choice. Either I choose based on a caliber I already load, or I buy a gun in a new caliber because I'm interested in starting to load it.

chaim

Caliber doesn't impact my buying decisions all that much. I have defensive handguns in 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .380, .38spl, .357mag, and .45LC. I used to have a .32ACP and .41mag. I trust all the service calibers to do the job if needed (to the degree that a handgun will do the job). That said, the majority of my guns for serious social work are 9mm, and if it wasn't for the 1911 I might not have any .45ACP (I have a SIG P250 Compact in .45, but I think I'd rather have it in .40 or 9mm and have greater capacity and I don't don't know how much longer I'll keep it- if it wasn't discontinued and had a better resale value I would have parted with it years ago, though there isn't anything wrong with it). For fun guns, I love 1911s, I have a CZ 75B, I want a Beretta 92, I have a .40S&W SIG P229 (the size puts it in the mostly range/fun gun category, though it is just barely carryable), and I have my eye on a Beretta 84 or 85, a new .22 handgun (maybe a Ruger MkIII, but also, possibly a revolver), a S&W 629, and a 10mm (either a EAA Witness or a 1911 type).

Spats McGee

Administrator
At this point, I don't need or want new calibers. There are a few I'd like to try out, but I won't buy a new gun to do it.