how much does caliber affect your purchases?

DavidAGO

I wish I could say it does not matter what the caliber, because it used to not matter, I could buy what interested me. times have changed. Because of injuty to my hand I am much more recoil adverse than I once was. In my profession I cannot afford to have my hand out of operation, so I have been shooting some of my smaller calibers. My last purchase was one of the Berreta 81s.

I can still shoot some of the larger calibers, .45acp is my favorite, but a magazine full and I am done with shooting it for the session. Needless to say, the large calibers boomers do not get out at all any more unless my son is going with me. in fact I am contemplating actually getting rid of the .44 and .41. I can still shoot .38 out of the .357s so they will stay.

Reloading is not the fun it once was, a few cranks on the handle and my hand cries "uncle". but I have found that shooting the .22s and .38s and now the .32acps are a lot of fun. It is not as much fun to just order a few hundred rounds of .22 or .32, and it hurts my soul to order .38s, but better to order and save my hand for what is ultimately important.

I just cannot see buying any more large bore pistols anymore. they would just sit in my safe and be sad.

David

Sequins

Caliber is the only factor at all for me, caliber and application. Say right now for instance, I'm hot on subsonic suppressed 147gn 9mm right now. I like loading it and shooting it even more. I've recently acquired a Ruger PCC (the free float mlok handguard one), a Kel-tec Sub-2000, and a Beretta Cx4 Storm all in 9mm and I was only purchasing at all because I wanted 9mm carbines to shoot my 147gn loads through.

Or for CCW, I want something smaller than my 26 so I'm grabbing a Kel-tec P-32 and a Ruger LCP, because I want to compare the cheap plastic guns in .380 and .32 and see if the mouse guns satisfy my need for deeper concealment on occasions when the 26 is inadequate.

COSteve

Yes . . . . and no.

As I already handload for 16 different calibers, 7 pistol and 9 rifle, you could say that it doesn't. However, I've resisted getting a Mini-30 (I already have a Mini-14) because the 7.62x39 would be a new caliber to handload and I don't want to add another new one.

jetinteriorguy

Not to derail this thread, but that Ruger carbine with the rail forend looks cool. Reminds me of a Russian PPSH41, put a wood stock on it and a drum mag and it would be a blast. Add a binary trigger and would be a lot of fun, would burn up a lot of ammo though. Hmm, could be a challenging project for my Just Right Carbine.

Ruger45LC

Caliber first for me, I'm down to only 38/357, .40 and .45 Colt. I've had them all but that's what I'm sticking with so yeah, if it's not in those calibers I'm not interested.

mr bolo

I like to keep it simple

I only stocked up on common calibers I already use, so it would make no sense to start using other calibers now, plus the new ammo background checks for California make it more difficult to get any type of ammo

some places require a birth certificate, car registration, US Passport, etc to buy ammo

and some dealers also said if the caliber of ammo doesnt match what in the AFS firearms records in my name they cant sell the ammo

some stores dont have the same policy as others.

Last edited:

TheGunGeek

Right now function and caliber is everything, as I'm still building my core system. Adding a caliber means adding the ammunition reserves also, which can quickly get expensive. Therefore I carefully think this out.

Down the road if I have the money and desire to add an odd-ball, it'll be fine. However I'm more of a marksman than a collector, and I'd rather spend my time & money building my skills.

44caliberkid

Going by my screen name, nothing in 44 caliber gets past my gaze or my wallet. 44-40 black powder loads and 44 Magnums are my favorite.

lefteye

I don't have very many handguns but caliber has always been the first and most important factor whenever I made a purchase. Nevertheless, my handgun calibers range from .22 RF through .44 Magnum (revolver.)

Cirdan

I won't buy a gun with a caliber different from ones I already own. Trying to minimize my inventory of ammo.

I've tried to minimize but the collection just keeps on growing----.22--9mm--.38 and/or .357---.40--.357Sig--10mm--.45.

And don't have one at the moment but wouldn't be against having another .44.

Jacket67

For me, 9mm and 45acp are the two I am limiting myself to for while, at least in handgun calibers. Planning my next purchases around the 45 for a glock 30 (and VERY hopefully) a Ruger PC45 to pair with it and my SR45. I'm going to be doing a fair amount of moving around for the next few years so keeping things limited just makes sense for me.

tipoc

Mostly I buy guns I'm interested in and want to try out for the fun of it or that play a specific role. Caliber is a part of that sometimes.

Once you have the basics covered it's mostly for the fun of it.

tipoc

Reloadron

Nevertheless, my handgun calibers range from .22 RF through .44 Magnum (revolver.)
Mine ranges from 22 rimfire through 45 Colt but I see this as an issue of how many stops in between?

Like most I have my pet calibers I enjoy shooting and I load for all of them sans of course 22 rimfire. Caliber is pretty much a part of my decision making process. Just as an example I have never, in well over 50 years, owned or loaded a 41 Magnum. I just never bought one and today at almost 70 I just do not see myself moving to a new to me caliber. That does not change the fact I regret never getting into the 41 Magnum. I passed on a few sweet ones over the years. So yes, I tend to buy calibers I already have and shoot as well as load for.

Ron

stagpanther

Nevertheless, my handgun calibers range from .22 RF through .44 Magnum (revolver.)
Mine ranges from 22 rimfire through 45 Colt but I see this as an issue of how many stops in between?

Like most I have my pet calibers I enjoy shooting and I load for all of them sans of course 22 rimfire. Caliber is pretty much a part of my decision making process. Just as an example I have never, in well over 50 years, owned or loaded a 41 Magnum. I just never bought one and today at almost 70 I just do not see myself moving to a new to me caliber. That does not change the fact I regret never getting into the 41 Magnum. I passed on a few sweet ones over the years. So yes, I tend to buy calibers I already have and shoot as well as load for.

Ron
41 mag is pretty nice, actually. ;)

Reloadron

41 mag is pretty nice, actually.

Yeah, that is the one cartridge I regret never having getting acquainted with. Handled some mighty fine revolvers in 41 Mag but just never added the cartridge. Who knows, maybe I will do it before I am dead. :)

Anyway, I do let a cartridge determine what I buy. I also changed my wording from caliber to cartridge since if I say caliber it can take in several cartridges.

Ron