how much ammo?, and how you carry it?

old bear

When in uniform patrol I carried 18 extra rounds, in the dicks I carried six (6) extra rounds, as well as a bug in uniform or not. Now retired I don't carry any reloads on my person, I do though keep 2 speed strips in the car. As many others have suggested if you fee the need to carry that much extra ammo, you are going to places you should not go. Best of luck, whatever you do.

Last edited:

Viper225

When carrying my 638 I normally carry 2 each Tuff Products 7 round speed strips with 5 rounds in each. I have a couple small pouches in my jacket that look like magazine pouches for the speed strips. The added length of the 7 rounders gives you comething to hold onto getting them out, and while loading with them. I also have a couple Safariland Comp 1 speed loaders for it. I normally just use them in BUG Matches. With my K frame I carry a couple speed loaders in my jacket pocket, or on my belt. When carrying my 1911 Colt I also carry 2 spare magazines for it in an old Brown Basket Weave Bianchi double magazine pouch I bought in 1977. Works as good now as it did then.

aryfrosty

How much is enough?

That is a question that only you can answer without getting laughed at on here.
My preference is based upon what I am carrying. When I carry my HK P7 I have two extra mags in a jacket pocket. When I carry my Sig P238 I carry four mags. When I carry a revolver I stash two HKS speedloaders somewhere.
I have an AMT DAO Backup in .45acp that I often enjoy and when I carry it I put four of the 5 rd mags in my pockets. When I was active I carried a department issued Sig P229 and I had four mags on my belt.
There are several schools of thought here. I will be perfectly honest: I got myself into a gun fight once about 25 years ago. 3rd shift and I was the only Officer 10-8 in the county. You can believe that I counted rounds carefully and after that I always had plenty of spare ammo on me or in the car. In a gun dispute someone IS going to run out of ammo and you don't want it to be you.
Carry what you are comfortable with and don't tell any of these eggheads what you have in reserve. People who answer a sincere question with jokes or derision don't matter anyway.

:D

warpig602

My revolver is my backup so I dont carry an extra ammo for it. I do keep a speed loader in the truck. I figure if my 226 with 25 rounds of ammo cant get it done....and then the revolver runs dry, I doubt another 6 rounds will help me :)

seeker_two

Any time I have a .38/.357 revolver, I like having at least one SKS stripper clip holding ten rounds. Easy to carry...and, IMHO, quicker & more secure than a speed strip. I'll carry an extra mag with my autos, too.

I'm not sure that I'll need to reload during a gunfight....but I KNOW I'll need to reload after a gunfight....

BlueTrain

That's a new idea. Now all I have to do is find one. Maybe something else would fit instead--and I have a drawer full.

Speedloaders (not speedstrips) seemed awfully prone to drop everything before I was ready, especially when things were a little stressful and, besides, they're bulky. But there is little speed in speedstrips. I thought I had a perfect solution with a little "pick two" pouch that I got from El Paso Leather, only it turns brass green in two days and nickel green a day or two later. So that didn't work. Speedstrips it is, carried in a canvas pouch, if carried.

Cheapshooter

With my Elsie it's one in the tube, six in the mag, and another six in a mag in my other pocket.

With my Springer XD40 Subcompact it's one in the tube, and nine in the mag. No spares.

I always carry at least one reload for a revolver but usually two. If I am not wearing a jacket I keep one speedstrip in my right front pants pocket and another in the right rear pocket. If I am wearing a jacket I keep a speedloader in the pocket and wear one behind my strong-side holster or sometimes a 2x2x2 pouch on my left side. Hell, I even carry a reload for my mini revolver when I carry it although I can't imagine the scenario when I would have enough time to reload that.

Mobuck

When packing an auto, I carry at least one extra mag on my person and a couple in the vehicle. On the occasions I carry the SP101, it is in a shoulder holster with a speedloader on the offside tiedown plus maybe a speedstrip in a pocket. I don't carry the SP 101 often and then it's on close to home trips where I don't expect even a hint of trouble but I don't leave home w/o something.

twobit

I read somewhere that there are two instances that someone would be carrying too much ammo:
1. When they are drowning.
2. When they are on fire.
:)

gmeister

When I carry revolvers, it's one or two LCRs (NY reload). Whenever outside the home I carry 2-3 five or six round speedstrips in my pockets and a few extra speedstrips in the car. On longer road trips I try to take an extra 50 rounds or so of self-defense ammo. Emergencies could cause a long delay in getting home.

Can't imagine going to the trouble of carrying for many years and the one time I need a gun, I don't have enough ammo because I was lazy.

At home in the daytime, I always have at least one LCR within reach plus a couple of speedstrips. If it's a "quick" nighttime trip from the bedside to the bathroom, I at least take the loaded gun. If there's a home invasion or some kind of prowler, 5 rounds should get me back a few steps to more ammo or other guns. I have some disabilities and don't move quite as fast as I used to.