how much ammo?, and how you carry it?

old fart

i have a sp101 357magnum, i open carry right now and carry my spare ammo in a closed shell carrier on my belt. i carry 18 spare cartridges in the carrier, is this enough? i plan on getting my c.c.p. next year, and hopefully get a concealment holster, and speedloaders. i'm on a fixed income and can't afford much of anything right now, is how i carry my ammo ok? i would like to know how much others carry, and how you carry it to give me some ideas that might be better than i'm doing now. thanks for any help.

MagnumWill

Is 18 rounds enough? Do you feel you'll be in a gunfight; where in order to survive you have to reload the revolver three times? You shouldn't be going into that part of town, man. ;) I think six in the chambers and a speed strip would do the trick. Personally, I would feel safe with the six in battery. It's all purely opinion and what you feel comfortable with. Hell, if you want, you can carry an XDm 9mm with two spare mags, and walk around with more than an entire box of ammo, if you wish. If you need all 18 rounds though sometime, you can feel free to put my foot in my mouth for me. :eek:

Gideon46

SP101 is a great gun with only 5 rounds. Most of us are slow and sluggish on revolver reloads because we don't practice like we should. Speed loaders are fast but bulky and a pain to carry. Also, be careful about after market grips becasue many (if not most) block speed carriers and my even interfere with ejection. I have some eagle secret service grips that will block the spent casing from ejecting next to the frame :eek:

Speed strips are slow as waiting for toast but easier to carry. I carry one speed strip loaded "2 space 3" in my right front pocket if my revolver is strong side IWB. If I'm pocket carrying the revolver, then I wear a speed strip pouch that I bought off the dillion press web site for $26.00. It's okay but has a silver snap on a black leather holder. Problem with this is anyone who knows anything about revolvers knows what you're carrying and that's ALWAYS bad so I've started carrying a strip in the front left hand pocket which makes for awkward reloads.

With a 5 shot J frame you either hope and pray it's over before 5 are spent or you're moving for cover as you reload and trying to dissengage. It's not very realistic that'll you'll be blasting away toe to toe and then reloading a J frame and continuing to shoot without having been moving away from the target at an angle seeking both cover and concealment. If not, and the bg is still shooting you're in BIG trouble unless they can't hit the broadside of the barn.

So always carry at least one speed strip as a minimum. Another option is to by a regular mag belt pouch that will fit. HBE Specialty Leatherworks will make you one to fit a speed strip of .357 or .38

This is one of the weaknesses of the revolver over an auto.

CCW is all about compromises.

God Bless
Gideon

win-lose

I mostly carry my 2" sp101 in my right front pocket, in a safariland pocket holster. I only carry 1 speed strip with only 5 shots loaded, also in my front right pocket. I keep the strip vertical, on the right side of the pocket (bullets facing gun on left side). I find it helps fill out the pocket and provide greater support for the gun. It is also really easy to live with ;)

Elvishead

I carry an extra 5 shots in a speed loader.

I think if you feel you need 18 extra shots, you should carry a Semi-Auto.

Rodentman

Carry.....

I don't carry spare ammo. I usually carry an auto, Glock 17 or Sig P229. If I carry a revolver it's a 329 NG. Six .44's should be enough. YMMV....

wnycollector

I carry a speedloader in my pocket around town. If I'm backpacking for more then an day trip, I put 2 extra speedloaders into my safepacker.

rantingredneck

My primary carry is a 2.25" SP101. I typically carry one reload for it, sometimes two. I like speedstrips as they carry flatter in the pocket.

There are times where I carry two revolvers. Typically either a SP101 or GP100 plus my LCR. In this case I carry two reloads of my .38SPL ammo for my LCR, with the larger gun loaded with .357's.

I recently made a purchase from Simply Rugged and he sent me a belt speedstrip holder gratis as I'd just spent 150.00 on two holsters with him. Great guy, great leather. Check him out if you haven't already www.simplyrugged.com

ChicagoTex

I never carry extra ammo. To my perspective, the statistical likelihood that I'll ever need my gun is nearly negligible, out of that small probability, the odds that I'll need more than 5 rounds are nearly negligible. Out of THAT small probability, the odds that I'll be ABLE to reload before getting killed are nearly negligible.

Negligibility^3 doesn't seem to warrant the substantial inconvenience I'd have to go to to carry extra ammunition.

The Terminator

I usually carry what is in the cylinder, on me. Sometimes a speed loader. I have been wanting to get some speed strips for my 44. It makes them so much easier to carry than does a speedloader. Very flat and concealable. They would fit down in the mag pouch of my smart carry with ease.

Anyhow, without igniting the (sic) tactics debate, I feel just as good with 5 rounds as I do with 20. Yes, I do carry a spare mage with the 45 cal. G30, because of the possibility of a mag malfunction. Not always though, I don't live or circulate in a war zone.

MLeake

SimplyRugged.com

Rob Leahy's site now offers a couple of nice things for spare revolver ammo.

Speed strips for both .38/.357 and .44; and a nice little leather case that slips and snaps around a belt, and holds a loaded speed strip in a slot in the case. It looks kind of like the leather keys case my grandmother used to carry, flat and unobtrusive.

Worth checking out.

Cheers,

M

Jofaba

Five is good enough for me. I don't think that I'll live long enough to regret not carrying a speed loader or a hi-cap auto.

Kreyzhorse

I may or may not carry spare ammo, dependings on how I'm feeling at the time.

If I carry my S&W 637 5 shot, I may carry 6 spare rounds in a dump pouch. Carrying either my 1911 or Ruger LCP and I may carry a spare mag in a belt pouch.

Not matter what method, I've got any where between 5 rounds to 16 rounds available depending on gun and my mood.

Doublestack

One extra magazine with the XD-45 is plenty at 27 rds. of 45ACP. (14 in the XD, and 13 in the extra mag.) If I have the J-Frame with me instead of the XD, I use this "TUFF" speed strip carrier.

http://www.intlmidway.com/intl/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=159324

It is a great product that holds two .357 speed strips close to the belt. No one can tell what it is with a quick glance. It is so flat against the belt, that I often forget that it is there. Great product.

DS

sakeneko

I carry a close cousin to the SP101 -- a S&W Model 60, also a 5 shot .357 magnum revolver. I also carry 2 loaded speed loaders, in pockets or (if none) in my purse. I need to get carriers for my belt.

I figure that's probably more than I'm ever going to need, but it isn't a problem to carry them, so I do.

Crankylove

I usually carry a 1911 in .45ACP. However, during the winter when it is easier to conceal, I sometimes carry my 4" Ruger GP-100. When carrying the wheelgun, I carry 6 in the gun and..................nothing else.

I also don't usually carry a spare mag for my semi-auto, which gives me the 7 rounds in the gun, and thats it.

Chesster

A Smith J or old Colt Agent in a pocket holster with a speed strip in the weakside pocket. After ammo is gone, all I have left is a Benchmade Mini-Ambush.