Votes: 56 30.8%
  • 38 and .357

Votes: 115 63.2%
  • 38's only

Votes: 11 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

larryf1952

My .357's get a diet of only .357's. I feed them my own handloads using a 125 JHP at 1400fps or so. This is probably my favorite gun/ammo combination.

If I want to shoot .38's, I have 2 snubs for that.

Smaug

I voted both, but it is with a caveat. I hardly shoot ANY 38 Special, just a cylinder of the defense ammo it is loaded with every now and then so I remember how it feels.

I shoot mostly hand-loaded 38+P-level loads, loaded in 357 cases to avoid the carbon ring.

Shooting a lot of magnums in my SP-101 is punishing. I'm done with that phase.

my 357 revolvers get only 357 magnum... as a handloader I have no need to put 38's through them... my cowboy carbine gets only 38's as I have a good load developed that shoots to point of aim

overkill0084

Not to say I won't shoot .38s out of my .357s, I tend to avoid it as much as possible. I have a couple of soft shooting .357 loads that I use. Now that I managed to get enough brass, I don't see the need. The crud ring isn't a huge problem, but why add one more thing to contend with?

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Since I started shooting a lot of 38's I haven't had to have my old Dan Wesson repaired, Still shoot .357 for serious with enough practice to keep my shooting muscles tuned to it but most of my practice is with 38 spcl now. I just have to pay more attention to the cylinder when I clean.

Crankylove

My GP-100 gets about 90% .38's and 10% .357's.

And, against the advice of many on this forum, I shoot them in no particular order. .38's, then .357's, then .38's, then more .38's, then more .38's, some .357's, more .38's........and sometimes I even clean the gun between trips.......but usually go 2-3 shooting trips before cleaning out the dreaded carbon rings.

8shot357

Don't mention reloading!

Duh

Post# 39

I owe it to you, the reason I said that. I had a Taurus 608 .357 4". I would mostly shoot .357s out of it for fun, for about $00.30 a round, maybe less. About 3000 round's, which was about three times the price of the gun value.

LSS, I sold it, I bought ($1000+ea) some S&Ws .357s (8shot) at about 3x the price, and ran out of money. Then the price of the mag ammo just about doubled by this time. So I don't shoot any of my revolvers as much. But if I do, it's .38s. TBS, I aways shoot .357s, just a little bit.

Maxem0815

A long time ago I had heard that if you shoot .38 special out of a .357 an a regular bases you can damage the gun and yourself if you Load a .357 into the chamber which has leaded up or crudded up. The info came from a gentleman who was a senior gunsmith for "Colt's Experimental". So after that I would down load .357 to .38 spec mid range and use a cardboard wad between the powder and bullet.

Mace
Happiness is a belt fed weapon and lots of ammo

alienbogey

<< How many shoot 357 only in your 357>>

I don't know about the rest of you, but in answer to the thread title I shoot 357's only in 357's. Shooting 357's in 38 Special or 38 S&W revolvers, for example, doesn't work well.

If I had a 357 Maximum I would probably shoot 357's through it.

I do not, however, shoot only 357's through my 357's.

:D

P5 Guy

357 in the 357

And 38 in the 38.
I know that one can fire 38s in the 357, but I handload and when I want to plink with my 357 I light load and plink away. No crud ring to clean out of the cylinder.

FrankenMauser

I've never had .38 Special carbon rings cause a problem. Methinks some of you are running some pretty nasty ammo.

....Yet another reason to reload. Just because it's "factory" ammo, doesn't mean it's clean.

Ozzieman

I voted both. The reason is that with my 28, I shoot more lead than anything else and I don’t want to push them over 1000 FPS and can do so easily and extremely accurately with 38’s. And the fact that I have 1000+ 38 cases.
The other reason is that not doing so does not take full advantage of the 357, shooting 38’s.

roaddog28

I have eight 357 magnums. I shoot 357 magnums almost all the time with my Ruger GP100, Ruger Blackhawk and S&W 686. My S&W K frame magnums and my Ruger Police Service Six see about 50 to 50 ratio. I shoot a lot of CCI Blazer HP 158gr 357 magnums because they are easier on the K frame and Service Six. But the GP, Blackhawk and 686 see full power rounds.
Regards,
Howard

Noreaster

I shoot both. When I first started as a policeman I was issued a GP100 and we shot 38+P out of it year in and year out. Never had a problem with crud buildup, I would shoot 357 mag out on my own time. Interesting note to this. The NEF 357 mag rifle is never in stock around here. Guys buy it for their kids. They buy the rifle and 100 rd. white box 38spl and shoot all summer. Maybe another box or two of 38 spl and then sight it in with 357 mag for deer season in Maine. Haven't heard of any problems with crud. Very pleasant rifle to shoot with 38 spl and the 357 mag knocks down deer at typical ranges which are under 100yds.

zombieslayer

I have a snub that is my main carry and I shoot lots of what I carry- 125 gr 357's.
In the few years I've owned it I've put exactly one 50 rd box of 38's through it.