Votes: 56 30.8%
  • 38 and .357

Votes: 115 63.2%
  • 38's only

Votes: 11 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zippy13

I load 158-gr RFNs in 38-Spcl and 357-Mag cases for 38-Spcl and 357-Mag revolvers and 357-Mag lever rifle. And, I load 148-gr WCs for revolver and pistol.

For those who load 38-Spcl and 357-Mag, if your 38/357 dies are like mine, they came with spacer to help switch between the two.

357 Terms

I reload. My rounds arent usually hot (med charge) . Though I practice frequently with hot loads in my hunting revo and my SD guns.I bought my 686 and Service Six used but my Blackhawk, sp101 and my Marlin have NEVER seen 38's.

steelbird

Only .357 for my Blackhawk- when I'm feeling a need for power and recoil. 1500 FPS 125gr reloads ( my own recipie ). I shoot my BP guns or my 84F for lighter stuff.

No choice. My gas system is tuned for 357s. Won't eject 38 shells.
Coonan? :)

I shoot a mixture of .38 and .357 in my K Frames. Through my N-Frames, I only shoot .357. I honestly don't know why I do it that way, except perhaps that it would feel boring shooting .38's out of a gun that tames the .357 so well.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I won't steal Jim's thunder, but you're both VERY cold... :D

I WILL give you a hint in the form of a question. Out of his 6300 posts, how many have been in the semi-auto handgun portion of TFL?

Deja vu

Ah I looked it up... its a special "project" gun. I even commented in one of the threads.

looks like it needs hot loads.

Sgt.Fathead

The Ruger GP100 eats anything it's fed so whatever is on hand goes in and out. I stock up on plain Jane .38 special target loads and also but any and all .357 Mag I can find cheap. I prefer .357 Magnum, especially MagTech 158gr semi-jacketed and Winchester 145gr JHP.

MLeake

Hadn't noticed it was Jim's post. So I'll revamp my guess to the one he added the interesting sight to, along with the tubing.

MLeake

The crud ring is only hard to clean if you forget to clean the gun immediately after the shooting session. I normally clean after shooting; that "normally" becomes "always" if I shoot .38 through one of my .357's.

rclark

I didn't pick. I shoot only .357 'cartridges' in mine. That part is true... However, I load them down to .38 special power levels for general shooting. I have no need for 'heavy' .357 loads. When I need heavy I move up to .44Mag and .45 Colt.

gak

Maybe 80/20--the 80 being .38. (The Ruger midframe SA probably sees 10-20 percent more .357 than the K frame). The 20-30%, just enough range and can popping time to remain proficient/know what to expect. Bedside or carry, 38+P out of a 3" K. Trail - 158 gr.357 out of same. Campsite or trail, 158 gr .357 out of the Ruger.

ghalleen

I voted both, but shoot almost entirely .357. I shoot .38 when I get a good deal (like when someone gives me a couple boxes).

jrothWA

Simple, eitherBUT...

if outdoor range then .357Mag for sure.

The same for deploying for CP, especially when hiking in black bear country) or back-up for deer hunting.