How many guns to settle on a carry weapon?

Cheapshooter

Ruger LCP. From the get-go, and still in my pocket every day
Springfiels XD40 Subcompact. Up until a year or so ago when "situations" seemed o be changing, and the possibility of needing 17+1 of 9MM over 9+1 of 40 S&W started arise. Retired to the safe, replaced with Sig P320 Carry.
Third is a Ruger 38 Spcl LCR that gets Winter time, heavy coat pocket cary duty.

TailGator

I guess I'm an oddball. I carried a 642 for over 20 years, then decided to increase capacity and got a G26. That was over 10 years ago, and it is still my primary. I added a pocket pistol a few years back, and I have added more handguns to my safe and my range bag than my wife would prefer, but that is it for carry guns.

1911_Hardball

I've pretty much settled on my S&W M&P 9 Shield in a belt holster when an outer garment is appropriate. In warm weather it's my S&W 642 in a pocket holster if I'm not driving. When on the road the 642 goes in an ankle holster. A gun in a pants pocket while driving might as well have been left at home.

FITASC

I carry the same regardless of season or dress, a SIG 365. Never understood this summer versus winter crap; what do you do in spring and fall then? Find whatever platform and type you like and buy 2-3 of them and practice, practice, practice...............

wilford

hey mike 38 i had the same thing pt22ply 500-600 ran fine then started to ftf ftf fte only used mini mags i think the gun was just wore out

Catchabullet

I've been carrying the same firearm since I was 21... I'm now 33. Colt commander in 45acp. That being said, I own a few pistols. It's just my preference to carry a 1911 platform as I've been shooting them since I was 10. To each their own. I'm also a wee bit taller than most people at 6'3. Maybe due to having more real estate

Eddiejoe

I used to carry a Springfield XD9 4-inch, then an XDS9, then a Ruger LCR, now a SIG P365. So far, the SIG is just right.

Apple a Day

Makarov
PA-63
Makarov
Taurus 85
Makarov
Smith 637
Glock 26
Makarov
Ruger SP-101
Glock 26
Hey, it's been 19 years.That's pretty much been the sequence, not equally spaced.

agtman

I tried the striker-fired guns but they didn't have the heft I was comfortable holding. The S&W Gen3 models in 9mm and .40 caliber felt best and I started working my way through different models and variants. I had to buy them online because none were available locally.
I settled on the double-action-only S&W model 3953 and 4053 as carrying options because the Gen3s are reliable and accurate, fit my hand, concealed IWB well, and I could rely on my past practice skills in a critical life-threatening moment.

Good analysis of the Smith 3rd Gens ...

In the hot, hot summertime - with shorts and a thin t-shirt as the covering garment - a 6906 carried AIWB is about as good as doing it with a G26, for me anyway.

In the cool fall weather, when I can layer a bit without roasting, the concealed EDC rotation will vary from my 10mm G29 or a Smith 4566, either AIWB or cross-draw.

tallball

Makarov
Taurus Model 85 (steel w/hammer)
Taurus Model 85 (alloy, hamerless)
Kel-Tech P32AT
Ruger LCR
Ruger LCPII

Those are the frequently-carried ones, anyway. Over the course of 30 years or so it's been slow process of technical improvement: such as the LCR replacing the Model 85, and the micro 380's replacing the Makarov.

Last edited:

HistoryJunky

I have been through a lot of different carry guns.

Now I carry one of these 3.

HK P30(DA/SA)

CZ P07 Gen 2

Taurus G2S

Some day I'll probably get another .380 or .32, but for now 9 is fine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ghbucky

I started carrying with a Kimber .45. It is really too big for summer clothing.

I bought a budget S&W .40 but it had a trigger that took a winch to pull. I would literally have a sore hand after a session at the range.

Then I got into competition shooting using the Kimber and realized I needed something heavier to handle recoil. After a lot of research I ended up with a Springfield 9mm XDM. Awesome gun. I fell in love with it, so I got the XDS as a carry gun and that is my 100% EDC now.

HawkeyeNRAlifer

When I was younger (40 years ago), I almost always carried a 1911 or if I was minimally dressed, a 25 cal. I've slowly moved to smaller and lighter autos, usually still in 45. And a LCP when clothing dictates.

jimku

For me it all depends on where I am going and the likely situation/s I might encounter.
* If in the woods, it is my .41 magnum with a couple speed loaders.
* If in normal non-woods situations it is my 5-shot 357 snubby backed up by my 16-round compact 380.
* If the world really turns to ... the brown smelly stuff ... I will need a proven battle gun, and that would be my full-size 45ACP 1911 and four spare magazines, and probably backed up by that same compact 380 ... and my tactical 12 gauge pump and a couple bandoleers of 00 buck / slugs.

It did not take me several purchases to "settle" on any of them. I do my homework before I buy.

Is this a handgun? If firing it with one hand, YES. :)
attachment.php

Last edited:

kenny53

I mostly pocket carry a M&P 9c. I also carry IWB the M&P9, M&P 45, or full size 1911 and sometimes a Glock 19. I will also pocket carry LCR in 22 mag, LCP 380. I like options.

jrothWA

It depends, as what the siruarion is??
I'll mainly carry a J=frame S&W, or a 4" .38 Spl / .357MAG revovler or S&W m39-2 or BHP and or 1911 type.