Hornady new primer tube filler finally available

csmsss

I adore the RCBS APS priming strips system and it has puzzled me no end why RCBS never made a press integrating this system. Doesn't seem like it would have been all that hard to do, if you designed it in from the start. They also went el cheapo on the loader - the build quality is terrible. Every time I pick it up, I wonder..."is this the time the primer press bar is going to bust and send primers flying everywhere?". It's not a question of if it's going to break but when. Also, there is zero feedback on when you've pressed the bar just hard enough to seat the primers in the strip.

Anyway, there is a good reason for Hornady LNL AP users to ditch priming on the press, and that is clearance issues between the primer tube shield and the Hornady powder die. As in there is very little clearance. If you prime off the press, that frees you up to place your powder die pretty much anywhere you wish. Does that introduce steps and slow things down? Maybe, but then again I don't mind using a hand press to decap, resize, and expand my cases, then the APS hand primer to prime them - I can easily do that while relaxing, watching the idiot box. It's the other processes that I really need the progressive press for.

Real Gun

That's a lot of hand wringing for primer detonations that just don't happen. Load 'em up and crank away. Yeah, like it's going to light up the powder station. Jeez!