Home protection without firearms... what would you pick?

lonegunman

Theoretical question:

Suppose all guns magically disappeared, the recipe for gunpowder was lost, and Pepper Spray hadnt been invented...

What would make the best weapon for home defense?

I know its kind of a stupid question... but some of the answers I am sure will be quite imaginative.

misanthrope747

My ex-wife. :)

I'd probably go with some sort of short sword for in the house fighting and a bow for defending from a distance.

misanthrope747

FPrice

I second the idea of dogs. Plural. At least two.

A mace or a flail might be a good choice for close-in combat behind the dogs.

k77/22rp

One of those mini-crossbows would be ideal, there small and light, yet powerful enough to inflict major hurt.

Libertarian

I kept a hand axe next to the bed when I was living in Egypt. I didn't get a permit to have a gun until I was packing to come back to the US. It really freaked my MIL. My wife thought it was kind of strange but she slept well knowing we had something.

nsf003

I second the Katana notion. Something shorter than a full length though, for manuverability in hallways.

nsf003

Gholam

I know, but the flaming oil post got me thinking... there's several options... some tar-like liquid driven by compressed air can create a spitter, while gas fuel - acetilene, propane, etc - can give one hell of a torch... question is, how legal would that be under US laws?

JoshM75

Electricial grade Fire Extinguisher

Saw a guy get shot in the face with one, he went down in a screaming heap. Had to be rushed to Hospital to save his eyesight. Also the empty cannister makes a nifty club at short notice.

I always thought that Flamethrowers were just fuel pumps in back pack form? The BATF would probably love though to get involved in regulating fuel pumps, $200 transfer tax on every automobile sale :(

bastiat

A bull mastiff or two.

A Khukuri would probably be an ideal sidearm for a close quarters weapon in tight places like hallways.

Don't like a baseball bat in case you run up against a bad guy with an innate sense of physics and momentum (i.e., they've figured out what part of the swinging bat isn't dangerous).