Hiking Handguns?

Which Type Of Hiking Handgun?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zombieslayer

For long hikes, I like a Keltec P32, or if I'm REALLY going lightweight, a NAA 22lr. If Im not walking more than 4 or 5 miles, I'll carry bigger guns.

amd6547

As I progressed in my backpacking, my firearm got smaller and lighter, till I carried a NAA 22mag mini. It was on that trip that I had an encounter with some yahoos in a car. Nothing happened, though I felt threatened enough to have the 22mag mini in my hand, in my parka pocket (they never knew!).
After that, I went to the 38snub, which worked fine for packing, was light, accurate, and powerful enough for SD.

zombieslayer

I know what you mean! I was gonna add in my original post that I love light .38 snubbies for backwoods. Actually, a S&W 642 or 442 are probably my all around defensive handgun favorites. Although, I finally got my hands on this ruger LCP and it's been with me ever since.:D

WARRIOR I

Amen again, I don't think you can beat a good j-frame
for the near perfect balance of carrying comfort and
firepower.

predecessor

As I progressed in my backpacking, my firearm got smaller and lighter

Amen. After reading many of the responses, I get the feeling that my version of "hiking" is different than others. Mobility (Weight and flexibility) is my primary concern when hiking. I don't feel the need to weigh myself down with steel firearms and heavy ammunition.

Revolvers seem to be the most durable in an outdoor setting and there are several lightweight options from .22 LR to .38 Special that fit my criteria.

When I choose to hike or backpack with a semi-auto, the FN Five-seveN gets the nod. Fully loaded with 20 rounds weighs less than a Springfield XD SC 9 loaded with 10. And additional loaded mags and ammunition weigh far less than anything other than .22

Last edited:

sakeneko

I'm with Locoweed. My carry gun is an S&W Model 60-10, 3" barrel .357 magnum. In town, I load it with Speer Gold Dot short barrel .38 +P rounds. On the trail, though, I load it with a good .357 magnum round -- right now either Hornady Critical Defense or Winchester Silvertips. (I've got a stash of both.)

Of course, *unlike some of you* ;P I'm not investing my retirement in my gun collection, so I don't have a special trail gun. This one works fine for both.

Mello2u

Unless there is a real chance of encountering a grizzly, I think a 1911 in 10mm auto should be adequate for the rest of the predators you might encounter on a hike in the continental U. S.

In Grizzly country I'd like a rifle like a 1895M Marlin in .450 Marlin, if limited to a handgun I'd carry my 454 Casull.

dabigguns357

When the family and i go camping/hiking and boating my wife carries a Rossi snubbie .357 and i carry a S&W 686 4 inch and couple of speed loaders.
Picture010.jpg

glenncal1

In the mountains of Colorado, either my DW .357 or SW 1917 in .45acp. Although my new to me CZ 82 would do as well. When I lived in California where there were no legged threats always a wheelgun with the first 2 chambers loaded with CCI shotshells.

culleniii3

I think it depends on your threat level and that depends on where you live, what lives around you etc etc etc...

We have black bear sightings around here at apartment complexes as well as in forest. So that being considerd and maybe a cracked out deer.. I balance my threat between medium sized 4 legged and of course the old 2 legged kind.

My personal choice is a Glock 32 or Glock 33 which balances out both hitting power and shootability for me. Of course it needs to be concealed. My GF can also shoot this combo.

jmr40

In a hiking situation you are truly on your own. 911 calls on a cell phone may be hours away if service is even available. This is where the added firepower of an auto can be an advantage.

I carry a Glock, usually in 10mm. Attacks by animals are so remote they are really not much of a concern, but the 10mm is comforting when sleeping in areas where black bears live.

ksblazer

I remember reading in a gun mag a few years ago that you are more likely to be attcked in the woods by a 2 legged predator than a 4. Not sure but since I live up in the Northwest there are Cougar and Black bears around. So a couple of years I upgraded in firepower and purchased a Taurus .44 mag Tracker. Don't want to be underpowered if I have an encounter with anything out in the woods.

Amendtwo

Revolver

Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel, chambered for .357 Magnum. For me, this revolver offers better flexibility in terms of ammo variety (from snake shot to 180 gr. hunting loads).

EdInk

I don't venture into the woods anymore but I used to carry a revolver with snake shot because that was the only threat around other than ticks and Repel100 kept them off most of the time.