Hiking Handguns?

Which Type Of Hiking Handgun?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roy reali

I live in the high desert. There are miles and miles of areas to explore. I go every chance I get. There are two things I take when I go. One is my dog and the other is a handgun. I have semi-autos and revovlers. I almost always take a wheelgun when I go. I guess I am more comfortable with them. Also, while I am not an expert shooter with any type of handgun, I do better with six-shooters.

For all you hikers and exploreres, which type of handgun do you take most often?

N.H. Yankee

I generally hike in remote woods and the biggest threat is 4 legged. I sometimes carry a small semi in a backpack as well as a 41 magnum on my hip.

SilentHitz

Don't hike anymore, but I used to carry a wheelgun more often. Carried my combat commander once in a while...but most often used a .357 wheelie, good for most all threats you find in my area.

Ricky

Ruger SP101 .357

Compact with enough weight to make magnum loads tolerable to shoot. Mine has a 2-1/4" barrel. A 3 inch might be better. Stainless steel is great.

Ronbert

Taurus 817 - 7 shot titanium .357 mag.
Unloaded, the gun feels like plastic.
All the weight is in the ammo.

I have also been known to lug a 1911 or a Glock 22.
But the Taurus replaced them.

MLeake

In my area...

... the 4 legged critters aren't quite as big, but it's still possible to run into a 400lb black bear, or a decent sized boar.

Within the last week, we appeared to have a bear enter the barn based on some sign, and the lady reported coyote howls on multiple sides of the pasture as she was feeding horses at night. (We live next to a 7000 acre WMA).

So, for hiking, based on black bear and boar, I usually carry a magnum revolver - .357 GP100 or .44 S&W Mountain Gun.

I was going to pick up a DW CBOB in 10mm as a critter-capable semi-auto, but the money for that just went to pay for a busted tooth. No dramatic story, just bit into an something hard and unidentifiable in a pizza place's garlic knots....

win-lose

I carry a 44 mag loaded with buffalo bore reduced recoil magnum loads (though I'm looking for something lighter to use in my 629 carry comp). We have 500+ lb black bear where we hike.

amd6547

I have carried a 38 snub for backpacking, where weight was an issue and the biggest threat was two-legged.
I often carry a Tokarev pistol...it is light enough, compact, accurate and reliable. The 7.62x25 cartridge has the ability to reach out to 100yds, and has tremendous penetration.
Plus, the Tokarev is cheap to purchase, and I don't mind subjecting it to trail abuse like I might with a more expensive handgun...ammo is cheap, too.
I just picked up a Ruger SP101 3" 357mag, and it is just begging to hit the trail...

ghalleen

I used to carry an old Ruger Security Six snubby in .357, but have recently changed to a Taurus 617 most often. .357 seven shot, titanium revolver.

The Taurus is lighter and more accurate.

eastbank

a charter arms .22 mag. with a 6 inch barrel, very light and accurate. for hiking were there are no big threats, in a big threat area a s&w 29 44 mag. eastbank.

treg

I voted 50/50. The power of the .357 or .44 revolvers is comforting and each has a role, but the Buckmark is a lot more fun and economical when you stop and play.

I am a revolver lover, but when hiking I carry a Glock29 in a fanny pack. The best combo I have ever found for hiking. :)

Fpack2.jpg

Firepower!

sometimes one and sometimes the other

I have a quite a few variety in both, auto and six shots. I like enjoy all of my weapons so I keep changing them depending on the mood.

With time I am becoming less of just one brand or particular gun. Rather I like variety. Otherwise it would becoming boring.