High capacity revolvers

jackstrawIII

I once bought an 8 shot S&W model 627 on Gunbroker. When I went to pick it up at my FFL... I literally laughed out loud because of how big it was. I was shocked.

Shot it a handful of times, but I considered it to be way too big to have any practical use for me, so I sold it. To me, the extra two shots over my preferred K frame size Smith's wasn't enough to make up for the ridiculous hugeness of it.

That is one of the unfortunate intrinsic limitations of revolvers that nobody has solved so far. The only way to increase capacity is to radically increase size. No way around that.

stinkeypete

Let’s look at the issue of capacity from the other perspective-
Of all the people on this site- who has ever run out of ammunition and been left wanting for more? How many shots was that? What happened after you ran out?

Yesterday, I hit my pheasant on the 3rd shot. Foolish first shot (too excited), missed, settled down and swung proper for the hit. I have pumped as many as 4 shots as multiple birds flushed, and after 4 shots nothing in the air is in range. As our daily limit is two, the double barrel fellas will say “just don’t miss and two is enough.” I say “I stink and appreciate four. More is just weight in the hands.” I just bought a new shotgun... my first auto loader.. and a nice double was under consideration except ... I miss too much!

So for all those that argue 5 or 6 is not enough, out of this vast sea of experience... other than in combat or law enforcement... who has ever run dry in real field shooting?

I have my own thoughts on this and humbly submit that I am an arrogant opinionated snob who thinks my own opinion is best. In my favor, when someone really convinces me with sound reasoning that their position is better than mine, I will argue that position as strong as my own because ... I change my opinions to best fit logic and facts. It may take hitting me on the head with a 2x4... but I change.

dontcatchmany

I have S&W 627 4", 327 2" and 686+ 3". They are all easy to carry IMHO.

I normally carry a semi-auto as a primary, but I have carried the above three guns in various combinations.

Today I carried a Glock 32 (357 Sig) and the S&W model 327 357 Magnum. I guess I like 357s.

Last edited:

Japle

My 8-shot S&W 327 in .357 Mag exists for shooting Steel Challenge.
Having those extra rounds when you have five targets and are shooting as fast as you can (hopefully) get hits, is vital.
I've never fired any .357 ammo in it and have never fired it single-action.

Attachments

• With 2012 2nd place.jpg
    With 2012 2nd place.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

rodfac

Everything is about high capacity
Well, I'd differ on that...for the auto-lovin' crowd, that may be true, but for us old codgers who prefer sixguns, the capacity...to the less than visually impaired is intuitively obvious...6, unless it's 5 for those cute little Smith J-Frames! Just yankin yer chain, ... Rod