High capacity revolvers

HighValleyRanch

I'm using the same HKS #10 as for my k frame and takes the same SL variant that I use for my Ruger Security six except that now that I have the Hogue rubber grips, the SL doesn't have enough clearance.

mrt949

I Was Looking At The 8 Shot RUGERS & S&W Revolvers also . That's Why I started this post .I Have 3 x 5 shot 1x 6 shot and 1x 8 x shot revolver .My 8 shot is a RUGER SP101 .

lifesizepotato

Matebas were always pretty niche and never sold well, including the semi-auto 6 Unica models. They met their ignoble end as unwanted clearance specials at CDNN. Only recently has there been renewed interest in the lineup, and they've apparently fired up the machines again under new ownership to make new 6 Unicas in limited numbers.

The Rhino was introduced after Mateba closed up shop so they never really competed. They're certainly more accessible and selling better than the Matebas ever did, and as someone who owns at least 2 of every Mateba and a couple Rhinos as well, I'd argue they're better suited to the average shooter than the expensive, complicated and somewhat fragile Matebas.

Last edited:

74A95

I don't know how they did it, but Kimber's k6 holds six round in almost the same size cylinder as a smith J frame or Ruger LCR.

FYI, here are some width measurements, most from this website; https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/kimber-k6s-vs-smith-wesson-model-60. The Kimber's 'flat' cylinder sides do not run the full length of the cylinder. Capacities are 38/357 caliber.

Ruger LCR, 5-shot = 1.28"
Ruger SP101, 5-shot = 1.35"
S&W J-frame, 5-shot Model 60 = 1.30"

Kimber K6s, 6-shot = 1.39"
Colt Magnum Carry, 6-shot = 1.40"
S&W K-frame, 6-shot Model 66 = 1.45"

lunger

I've never seen any reason to have a revolver with more than six rounds, and even then at the range, I only load five. A box of 50 cartridges, ten rows of five. Keeps things straight.

I thought I was the only one that does that :D

XDforever

I saw the 8-shot Ruger Redhawk in .357 and I wanted it!
I didn't want the $900 price tag.
As many have recommended, I did buy 3 Ruger Blackhawks, but they load a mite slow.
I know what you mean about that 8 shot Ruger. I wanted one in the worst way, until I saw the price and also the weight!! 45 ounces or so, and that is for the snubby version.

Joe

smee78

When it comes to revolvers, variety is the spice of life for me. I own 5,6,7 & 8 round revolvers and use them for different carry options. Some are neater then others but a few interesting ones are my S&W 296 5 shot 44spl and the S&W 242 7 shot 38spl. My big 8 shot is the S&W 627 Blood Work gun like the one used by Clint Eastwood in the movie Blood Work.

larryf1952

Yep, I'm a geezer, too. Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger...they were all my buddies when I was a kid, and they all shot 6 shot Peacemakers. That's how many chambers that revolvers had then, and I still think that that's what they should have now. I'll deviate for a 5 shot J frame snub, but that's about it.

When I think of a revolver with more than 6 shots, it's like throwing a wrench into the gears of the machine that runs the universe. There's a big jolt, and the time space continuum is distorted in a horrible way.

Besides, the cylinders of 7 and 8 shot revolvers just look funny. :D

jetinteriorguy

Yep, I'm a geezer, too. Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger...they were all my buddies when I was a kid, and they all shot 6 shot Peacemakers. That's how many chambers that revolvers had then, and I still think that that's what they should have now. I'll deviate for a 5 shot J frame snub, but that's about it.

When I think of a revolver with more than 6 shots, it's like throwing a wrench into the gears of the machine that runs the universe. There's a big jolt, and the time space continuum is distorted in a horrible way.

Besides, the cylinders of 7 and 8 shot revolvers just look funny. :D
Aw come on, you know those ‘ six shooters ‘ in the movies never ran out of bullets.

Crankylove

I have nothing against higher capacity in a revolver, I just don’t want the increase in size and weight of say a .357 7 or 8 round cylinder, and wouldnt be interested in spending money on one.

That said, I do have a a seven round (GP100 .327 Federal) and 10 round (S&W 617), but as they are both in smaller cartridges, they are no bigger or heavier than my “standard” 6 round revolvers, and both were given to me.

BWM

the more rounds the more weight it is what ever you want if weight then go with a auto I carry a Bersa 380 95 15 round I have a Bersa 85 13 rounds both of them are very good shooters they are daily carry if I go to the big city I carry my Bersa 9 17rounds plus 1 some time I carry my S&W 40 11rd or my Daewoo 40 I like it you can carry loader with one in the chamber with hammer down the trigger pull is like you had the hammer back very easy trigger pull

Obambulate

The current Model 648 K-frame in .22 mag is an 8-shot. The J-frames in .22 mag are 7-shot.

I'm pretty sure they could have fitted 9 shots into the 648 cylinder, but it is more suited for targets or hunting than concealed carry, so maximizing shots was likely not a priority.

Last edited:

Carmady

About 120 years ago they had 7-shot .22LR revolvers with cylinders a little less than 1" in diameter, smaller than a quarter. The S&W LS, IJ 1900, and H&R 1906.

Around 1974 Hi Standard had a MK IV .22 Magnum that held 9 (I think).

I'd love something like a light weight 10-12 round .22 Mag with a 3" barrel and fixed sights. And add a Deluxe convertible model with a .22LR cylinder and adjustable sights. That would be a nice kit/SD package.