Hey, Hogdogs!

Buzzcook

I recently found out that the Great Dane was originally breed to be a wild boar hound.
I don't think there are any other pure breed hunting dogs specifically breed for that purpose.

The show in question has all the things I dislike about reality TV.

rex_lee

Buzzcook, research the Dogo Argentino. It is a breed of dog that i raise. They come from Argentina and were specifically created for hunting wild boar and puma. I have used cur dogs of various breeds, and pit bulls. The Dogo is purpose 'built' for hog hunting and is what I have upgraded to.

The modern great dane is nothing like the great dane that was used for boar hunting. If you read up on it, it is gigantic now compared to when it was actually bred for it's original purpose.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Rex, you may have heard of a couple dogo guys I know of... Oly Rivera (fla) and a Marvin (La.) both hunt their dogs...

Brent

rex_lee

Hogodogs,
Yea, I know those guys. Been friends with Oly for years. I used to hang out on hog hunting message boards from the late 90's - mid 2000's but got tired of the constant drama. I keep to the gun related forums now. Got tired of having the same old arguments with every new batch of instant internet hog dogging experts that came along, over and over and over. At least on these gun message boards it is different arguments with instant internet experts! haha

Tall Oly that MAC from Los Cazadores Dogos says hey..

C0untZer0

When I researched the Plott Hound, there were references that it was bred specifically to hunt wild boar.

It was only later when they came to America (and got the name Plott), that they were also used to hunt bear and coon.

So I think the Plott Hound counts as a dog bred specifically for hogs. It just happened to see use in hunting bear and racoons also.

Last edited:

C0untZer0

The Dogo Argentino looks so much like the American Bulldog, I may have been seeing Dogo Argentinos on the various YouTube videos mistaking them for bull dogs / pit bull mixes.

rex_lee

C0untZer0, only superficially.

They are designed for running/hunting with riders on horseback, and in person are a quite a bit leggier, and deeper in the chest. Have the blocky head and muscled up shoulders in common, which is what most people notice.

shortwave

The Dogo Argentino is a beautiful dog. First one I ever saw was in my yard and put me back in my truck when I got out to run him off. He was a brindle with nothing but head,teeth and muscle. Looked like a pitbull on steroids. I reached through the slider window feeling for the machete I had put in the back to take to work and sharpen but couldn't find it and watch dog at same time. Didn't have my pistol. :rolleyes:

He stood outside my truck snarling,slobbering and showing his fangs for a good ten minutes before meandering off through the woods.

After some talking to the neighbors, found out he came from a farm two ridges over. The guy raises them so I made a trip to his place. Didn't want to gripe but to see more of the dogs.

They were friendly at his place and with five on the premises, don't think he had to worry about any prowlers. The adult male(the brindle which was at my house) was absolutely massive. Even bigger then I remembered. Coarse, I was outside my truck petting him at this time(after owner assured me I'd be ok) , telling the owner what had happened. He apologized,said he wasn't aware dog had been loose and told me they are a very territorial, protective breed. I didn't tell him if I would have got to that machete, I was going to cut his head off.:eek:
Glad it turned out as it did.

He had two adult females and two 3/4 grown pups.

Come to find out, the male brindle was actually climbing the kennel chain link fence to get out. Owner had to chain link in the top of kennel.

Apparently, they are good climbers also.:)

Last edited:

rex_lee

I don't know what you saw, but Dogos only come in white...part of the breed standard, have to be solid white with the exception that a spot on the head is allowed. Could be it was a dogo cross of some kind.

Mike

C0untZer0

A friend of mine in the Army had a Blue Tick Coon Hound that could climb chain link fences, and there are some people that when I tell them the dog could climb a chain link fence they tell me I'm full of it. But I saw that dog climb a 6 foot fence with my own eyes.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Hey MAC!!! I know the kennel name well from various discussions over the years... We may have even engaged in the whole breed standards issue with the dogo...

I am the guy who felt if culling for color standards stopped might reduce possible recessive gene health issues...

I would love to try out a few dogos that fail the color standards.

Brent

Buzzcook

Rex Lee I know of the Dogo. My post was of AKC pure breeds so that's why I didn't mention them.

Over the last 100 or so years humans have messed up a lot of dogs by demanding artificial standards.

rex_lee

I know exactly where you guys are coming from on the whole color thing.

My hunting buddies (who also hunt with dogos) and I have this discussion regularly. We all wish that the dogo had been made in brindle. It woud be REALLY close to the perfect hunting dog.

But to those of us who are working to preserve the integrity of the breed - trying to stay true to the intent of what the breed is supposed to be, they have to be white.

If you just want some good hog dogs, cross a dogo to any other kind solid hog dog, and they almost always come out brindle, and more power to you.

;)

Buzzcook, just for informational purposes - the Dogo Argentino is a pure breed, and is recognized by the AKC.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Rex, I would be willing to sign a contract in a lawyer's office stating I will never call the "wrong colored dogos" by the name if you get me 2 "cull" pups with some color patches on them...

Me and Oly are/were pretty close... Heck I dropped an engine in a truck for him and later bought that truck... but he and I butt heads on that color issue... Like politics... He don't mention dogos to me and I won't say WHITE ain't Right in his presence either...:D

Brent

rex_lee

I don't get bent out of shape about it. All that kind of stuff is exactly why I quit hanging around those boards...lol.

Life is too short for all that.

If my buddy ever does what he says, and breeds a line of brindle dogos and calls them 'Dogo Tejanos' or 'Dogo Americanos' I will let you know. He really says he is going to do it someday.

Well after several weeks of Lady Hoggers (and American Hoggers), I have become quite depressed by reality hog hunting.

I noticed something last night when I was watching a couple of the more recent episodes of Lady Hoggers that I had not realized previously, but when I checked the Tivo'd episodes, was present there as well.

I noticed that the camera operator is consistently able to spot the hogs before the hoggers are, is often fairly close to the hogs to get a shot of the hog's butt as it run's away, and often arrives at the hogs caught by the dogs before any of the hoggers get there. Heck, he even beats the dogs to the hogs sometimes! Obviously, the camera operator has a real knack for getting to the hogs, both in spotting them early and during the catch. I find it amazing that the operator is consistently faster despite having to carry his camera gear. :rolleyes:

Then I figured it out when they showed Gary (the male Lady Hogger) running in to control a hog the dogs have. They showed his run in from two different angles. The first angle was from right behind the hog and dogs up close at dog eye level, looking slightly upwards. I could see the top of the hog and dogs in th bottom of the image and Gary running in from the top of the image. Gary has a buddy with him that is coming in almost directly behind Gary.

Then the shot changes to a wider shot from a different angle. Where the camera used in the previous shot should have been, there is only open terrain. As Gary and his partner run in, the partner isn't directly behind Gary anymore, but well off to the side. In other words, they shot the run-in approach and taken down at least twice.

So how is it that the camera operator is always in such a good position to spot hogs running away and often faster than the hoggers and their dogs? All the shots are staged. It would appear that the hogs are previously captured and the camera operator allowed to get into place and the hog released. From the looks of things, they are apparently catching and releasing the same hog (or very similar looking hogs) several times in order to get their shots.

There may be some actual hog catching footage in the shows, but a lot of what is being shown is staged.

Oh, and I really liked the shots from the dog's cameras when the dogs were chasing a hog at dusk. Images went from previously colored footage to dramatic night vision green footage, but there was no changing of the equipment on the dogs. They are using faux night vision. The green footage is digital manipulation of the regular color footage.