Help choosing cartridge for Mauser action...

Scorch

Which one?
In his other thread, he says it is a Spanish M43 (La Coruna, I suppose) M98 pattern in 8X57. Good actions, produced under close German supervision.
I am doing the 7X57 Mauser.
But standard, or should i go AI?
As I said earlier in this thread, I have five 7X57s, none of them AI, most on M98 actions (all commercial actions, Mark X, FN, a new Dumoulin, a Ruger 77, and a Rem 700). Friends and customers of mine have 7X57 AI rifles, and get about 100-200 fps over my rifles. Is it worth it? I don't think so, but you may feel differently. In a Mauser, you start to have feeding issues when you use AI cartridges, in a Remington or Winchester or Ruger maybe not. For a bench rifle, feeding issues are no big deal, but I like my hunting rifles to be dead reliable.
Std7mag, if it were me, I'd go standard 7×57.
Cases can be formed easily from .270 win.
Agree, standard 7X57. But why form cases? Brass is available. PPU, Remington, Federal, Hornady all offer 7X57 brass.

Last edited:

F. Guffey

"...The 8MM Mauser barrel has a .311" diameter..." Does not. It'll be .323". Slugging measures the groove diameter not the bore.
"...When in fact it's a Spanish Mauser...." Which one?

The 8MM barrel has two diameters, one is .323 and the other is .311" and there is the other one. it has two diameters also, one is 318" and the other is .311".

Anyhow, I made some 'some checkers' for checking bent barrels. The 30 cal. barrel has two diameters, one is .308" and the other is .300".

F. Guffey

std7mag

According to Hoosier Gunworks (they have a lot of info on Mausers), it appears to be a M44 Spanish Mauser. Measurements put it as large ring.
Mag box is 3.330".

For $65, i don't care if it was made in Bora Bora, as long as it shoots.. :D

HiBC

A 7x57 with RE-19 and a 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip or Accubond,depending on the critter,will give you very good performance.

The mag and feed was made for a 57mm Mauser cartridge,so it should be trouble free.

std7mag

Some guy in Spain, i guess... :D

You people are gonna make me take pics, aren't ya?? :rolleyes:

Oh, and Wendy,
It is a bolt action, so not a thing wrong with the lady bun.. Lol

Paul B.

There is an excellent article in the June 2019 issue of Handloader magazine titled "The Modern 7x57" by John Barsness that is well worth reading. The fact is a modern rifle in 7x57 can do anything the 7-08 Remington can do and sometimes a bit better. The 7x57 case holds a bit more powder than the 7-08 so in theory one could use 7-08 data if one has a modern rifle like the Winchester M70, Remington M700, Ruger M77 or #1 or a good commercial or military 98 Mauser action.
In my experiments with the 7x57 in a Ruger #1, Winchester M70 FWT and custom Mauser I have reached 2900 FPS with the 150 gr. Nosler Partition and Accubond with the M70 FWT and Ruger #1. The Mauser has not been so accommodating so I went with the 160 gr. Speer coming close to 2700 FPS but accuracy was just plain lousy. Accuracy was pretty bad with that Accubond in the M70 and has proven to be difficult regarding accuracy in all three 7x57 rifle and a custom .280 Rem. on a 1909 DWM Mauser action. It does group nicely with the older two core 160 gr. Speer Grand Slam bullet.
Paul B.