Help choosing cartridge for Mauser action...

Paul B.

"As my name implies, i like the 7mm. I also like the quarter bores.
So...."

The action is a "German" Mauser and you have to ask? :eek: That screams 7x57 so loud that it's deafening. ;) Seriously, I took an FN Mauser in .270 and rebarreled it to yup, you guessed it, 7x57. I'm currently in the process of finding a load I'd consider suitable for an upcoming elk hunt. I already have a good load with the 150 gr. Nosler Partition at 2700+FPS and am now working with the 160 gr. Speer Hot Core. Looking forward to whatever the results may be.
Paul B.

Scorch

Well, from a gunsmith's perspective, anything based on 308 will have issues with feeding just due to shape. 284 works well, 7X57 works well (I own 5 of them now), 6mm, 22 Texas Trophy Hunter is a really fast little number, 280 works well. Or, for a thumper, you could be unconventional and go with 9.5X57 or some such nonsense. I've been thinking of a 6.5X57 myself just to tick off the Creedmore crowd if nothing else.

std7mag

Paul B,
The rifle was advertised as a "German Mauser".
When in fact it's a Spanish Mauser.

Not wasting my time on this barrel, as i've already decided to swap it. And no, i don't need a smith, i do my own. Friend has a lathe to square up receiver face, bolt face. I'll probably have to borrow his torch also to recontour the bolt handle.

I'm mostly leaning towards the 7X57 Mauser, but i like the way Scorch thinks. ;)

Drumming around a 358X57...

std7mag

Manbun sell out... Lol
I'll put an icepick through the coconuts befor i manbun... :eek:

I had thought of the 6.5-284, but i would probably want at least a 24" barrel for that. All about velocity. I want to keep it a thin barrel no longer than 22".

Just about to start the teardown...

stagpanther

Manbun sell out... Lol
I'll put an icepick through the coconuts befor i manbun...

I had thought of the 6.5-284, but i would probably want at least a 24" barrel for that. All about velocity. I want to keep it a thin barrel no longer than 22".

Just about to start the teardown...
I have had a 6.5 284 for years--while it's a good shooter I've often considered it a "freak of marketing nature" which IMO doesn't bring a whole lot extra to the table (if anything) over it's parent 284win, which I prefer.

Jim Watson

6mm Remington is so close to 6x57 as to make no nevermind, so will fit the action.

How about a nice 5.6x57? Exact RWS specs seem tough so just make it a .22x2.25"

Will a .22-250 feed from an unaltered Mauser magazine? If so, fast twist, heavy bullet .22s are interesting.

Wendyj

I think I’d go with the 7x57 also. I’m lady buns so a 260 wouldn’t be out of the option. Either way you are going to come out a winner.

Scorch

How about a nice 5.6x57? Exact RWS specs seem tough so just make it a .22x2.25"
Similar to the 22 Texas Trophy Hunter I mentioned earlier, except the neck is larger and thicker to allow use of 22LR adapters. There are a couple of configurations of the 22-6mm.
Will a .22-250 feed from an unaltered Mauser magazine?
Not reliably, it's too short so most builds include a block at the rear of the magazine.
I had thought of the 6.5-284,
6.5X57 will give you essentially the same velocities without the barrel wear.

std7mag

Well, i tore it down before work. Action not bad.
Barrel is another story!

It is 8mm. But heavily corroded under the stock. I wouldn't want to run any rounds through it! Soaking in penetrating oil now.

I've decided on the 7X57 Mauser. Adds to the 7mm stable, and one i don't have as yet.

Thanks all for the input!
Will keep posted on build.

ligonierbill

About 5% increase in capacity with the added step of fireforming. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that. My only experience with a fireformed case is the K-Hornet, and that has disappointed me.

hooligan1

Std7mag, if it were me, I'd go standard 7×57.
Cases can be formed easily from .270 win.
I would lean towards a 1:8.5 twist so I could test heavier bullets.
The action can take the pressure, so couple that with decent barrel and take it hunting.
I'm currently working on a 1903 Turkish that has been profiled down from large ring to just a tad bigger than a small ring Mauser.
It's getting a Shilen 24" 1:8 twist so I can test 170's- 190's for sport of course, if I choose to hunt with it for thin skinned game up to Elk, I will use 160 grn Accubond.

FrankenMauser

Standard 7x57.
I don't see much point in hot-rodding the cartridge. That goes doubly for something in an old Mauser.
Even if you don't want to hot-rod it, the extra case capacity means more powder is required to achieve the same result ... with more potential for feeding bobbles.

std7mag

I already have 100 new 7X57 cases. PPU from Grafs. They were cheap enough i bought 200. Have turned 100 into 257 Roberts.

People on another forum telling me they are pushing 140gr Barnes TTSX 3,050fps with the AI. Of course they'll also say 3,200 fps from a 280 Rem...

Case forming i'm not worried about. I already have 7mm-08AI.
Other than being different at band camp, i wouldn't recommend the 7mm-08AI.

old roper

My first AI was 7x57AI and I used Ackley loading data. Ackley data is above 3K with 140gr and Speer wildcat manual had one load above 3K with 145gr.

I was above spec pressure but wasn't shooting 100yr old 7x57.

T. O'Heir

"...The 8MM Mauser barrel has a .311" diameter..." Does not. It'll be .323". Slugging measures the groove diameter not the bore.
"...When in fact it's a Spanish Mauser...." Which one?