Help choosing cartridge for Mauser action...

std7mag

So, after doing some digging and measuring i've come to the conclusion that the "German" Mauser i got at auction is actually a large ring M44 Spanish Mauser.

There is no caliber stamped, and i really just don't feel like taking the time to do a casting.
The original stock was hacked attemting to sporterize it.
So it is getting a new barrel and stock.

As my name implies, i like the 7mm. I also like the quarter bores.
So....
25 Souper
25-284
7X57 Mauser
284 Win

Help me choose.

I'm going to go for light weight hunting on this build.
I know i already have a commercial Mauser in 284 Win that i've built, but it weighs 10 lbs.
Oh, and if you say Manbun, your gonna be sent to the corner to think about your misdeeds! Lol

ligonierbill

After wringing my hands for a couple weeks, the first one I rebarreled went to .257 Roberts. For a real DIY, Brownells still has their $95 special in 25-06 and 6.5x55. I put a 6.5 on another Mauser, and it has worked out very well. If I recall, the 25-06 can challenge the magazine length, but it's a great round. Of course, you can't go wrong with 7x57. Have fun.

LineStretcher

Did you get that one on GunBroker with the upgraded stock and 22" barrel?. If so I bid on it twice and then after I got my Turk I stopped bidding. I had the Turk out today and it shoots darn well. 2" groups off the bench with an occasional flyer. It shot better than my SKS.

big al hunter

Quarter bores are fun. But the traditional side of me says " it's a MAUSER....so only 7x57 would be appropriate"
And there isn't any critter walking around your neck of the woods that it couldn't handle.

Tough choice though, all of them are good cartridges.

The non-traditional side of me screams 25 Souper, just for fun.

I think I would let the stock decide. Are you looking at a traditional stock, or a tricked out adjustable with do-dahs hanging all about?

std7mag

Linestretcher,
Nope, not Gunbroker. Gotten from a local auction. See my other thread on couldn't stop myself...

Nathan,
It's a standard 0.473" face. It's looking like a long action, so maybe the 25-06 might be in the running also.

Don't know how to post a poll.

Mobuck

7x57 is always a good choice made better if you handload.
280 is what the 270 should have been and wasn't. I like it. I had one built for my older Son's college graduation present. It does an excellent job at all practical ranges on whitetails and I wouldn't pass it up as an elk cartridge. A bit more recoil than the 7x57 but a step up the ladder in performance, too.
I'd been waiting to find a 280 in a Ruger stainless synthetic 77 but now my shoulder can't tolerate that level of recoil so I guess that desire will never be fulfilled.

F. Guffey

it is getting a new barrel and stock.

I guess it is necessary to say ever situation is different. I would find it necessary to determine what reamers are available. I have an 8MM/06 reamer. I have found no down side to going with the 8MM/06 and I have never found it necessary to removed the barrel from the action.

And then there are barrels, I have committed to building a bench rest looking rifle for my son, it appears the barrel outweighs the rifle less the barrel. I have not threaded the barrels so I have not committed to the actions. I have a barrel that is threaded for the 03 but I am not willing to give up a rifle for the action. I have no shortage of Mauser actions, M1917s and P14s.

F. Guffey

FrankenMauser

6.5x55....look at the ballistics....it can do amazing things....everything from antelope to moose!
Thanks for bringing that up.
The 6.5 Swede flashed through my mind while I was typing my response, but was gone by the time I got to 6.5-284.
Arguably different beasts, but neither is a bad choice.

std7mag

I've already decided on a Boyds Prairie Hunter stock. No adjustable dodads on this build.
Barrel will be from E.R. Shaw. I have 3 barrels from them already that i'm very happy with.
In the stable already are.
250 Savage (Stevens 200)
257 Roberts (Ruger 77 MKII)
7mm-08AI (Savage Axis)
280 Rem (Ruger 77 MKII, and soon Forbes 24B)
284 Win (Whitworth Mark X)
7mm Rem Mag (Savage 111)

My 2 front runners are the 25 Souper, and 7X57 Mauser.
Another one i've thought about is the 6.5X57 Mauser. But would require me to get yet another caliber of bullets.

I'm not worried about reamer availability as anything i want is a phone call away to PTG.

taylorce1

First, measure the magazine and what's the longest COAL you can use.

Second, look at bullets and their length.

Third, find a cartridge that allows you to seat the longest bullet you might use without intruding on case capacity at max COAL.

Fourth, focus on main use of the rifle and build accordingly.

Everything else will fall into place.

Pathfinder45

If the action is not quite long enough for it to be a 270 Winchester, then I would probably choose 6.5x57 Mauser, or 6.5x55 Swede, or 6.5x57 Ackley Improved if confident it will feed reliably.

F. Guffey

To do what with?
"...the time to do a casting..." Slug the barrel. It might already a 7mm Mauser.

The 8MM Mauser barrel has a .311" diameter, If I was wondering if the barrel was 308" diameter or 8MM I would drop a 30/06 bullet down the 8MM barrel. The bullet will not build any speed because it will spin,

If the barrel is 7MM the 308" diameter bullet will just sit there.

And then there is that thing about casting the chamber.

F. Guffey

RC20

For all you plan on doing I would get a casting to see what it is, even if you use a Gunsmith (you will need one for the barrel?)

Otherwise I tend to 7 x 57, 260 Remington or 6.5 Swedish.