Heh,heh, all you guys with .40 S&Ws...

inSight-NEO

This means nothing. I own one and am not worried in the least.

Besides, there are other quality manufacturers besides Winchester. Heh, heh....

Regardless, given these uncertain political times, we all may be...as you say it, "screwed."

It is what it is. Ill worry about mine. You just worry about yours.

Last edited:

Sixer

Just another reason to "roll your own" :)

I'll still hit the range with my .40's and plink away like it's a .22

heh, heh.

Topkicker

Does this make you happy FALPhil for some reason? Did you spend your retirement savings on .380 cal pistols and lotto tickets and want to see others suffer due to your miserable existance? "Heh heh". Please explain.

SVO

You have to wonder who DHS is going to war with such that they would need 200 million rounds of ammo for. On the up side, that may add 40 million rounds a year of once fired brass to the reloading component market. Which should drive the price of used 40 S&W brass down. Probably most handloaders have enough components on hand to get thru any dry spells.

Now that's done, I have to ask why do you really think there's going to be a shortage? The .40SW is already plentifully stocked in stores for the most part. Brass is already overflowing in the resell sector. Last, but not least, how many reloaders actually use the 135gr bullet the most? I use the 155gr and 180gr bullets myself. On a personal note, I already have a stocked supply of reloads in the 5 digit range. The only thing I see is a slow in production of others in order to manufacture the ammo. Big deal...

FALPhil

I have to ask why do you really think there's going to be a shortage?
Tuttle, having worked in the gun industry off and on, I understand that there is about a 60 +/- day supply of ammo in the pipeline under normal circumstances. I also understand that there is finite capacity for manufacturing ammo in general and a specific cartridge in particular. On an order this size, I can pretty much guarantee that resources will be redirected to fill it. That means that something else has to fall off the plant schedule or it must be contracted out. Considering that the 3 biggies are running full tilt as it is, I am thinking that anything other than 135s are going to be small, stop-gap runs. Plus, this contract will put more pressure on components such as primers, as well as other weights of 10mm pills.

So, yes, I expect that once they get ramped up, 40 S&W will at the very least become more expensive, and I expect a contract of this size to exacerbate the primer shortage. I also wonder why ICE needs so much ammo. They could kill everyone in Mexico twice over with that much. I am pretty sure that they don't practice enough to use all of it. What are there 14 - 15K ICE employees?

So, was my subject line provocative? Yeah, just a little. While I can see a use for the real 10mm cartridge, the 40 S&W has always been an anathema to me. Believe it or not, I am one among many.

Dave85

A maximum of 200 million rounds over five years = a maximum of 40 million rounds a year. While that makes for a good account for Winchester to have, I hardly think it will tax their production line so much that the shooting public will notice. They crank 'em out pretty quick.

Sevens

On an order this size, I can pretty much guarantee that resources will be redirected to fill it. That means that something else has to fall off the plant schedule or it must be contracted out.
This quote from you in your own thread laughing at .40 S&W guys is a fine argument why the effect, if any, won't be strictly with .40 cal.

A good chance that whatever you yourself might need... be it components or loaded factory fodder in whatever caliber you need may well be affected.

Is karma real or imagined? FWIW, I don't like .40 S&W either and I don't own anything in it, nor have I ever, and I don't plan to. But guys that own .40's are gun guys... so they are (generally) my kind of people.