Handgun for boy to start with

rclark

Well, you're in a handgun forum, but I'd comment that any 9 year old should be taught the fundamentals of safety, sight picture and alignment, and trigger control with a more forgiving platform, ie. a rifle. Good habits there are more or less transferable to the short gun, and successfully hitting targets will give steady feedback.
+100 . No semi-autos either... a good bolt-action like the Ruger American .22, or lever action .22 rifle like the Henry. Open sights. No scopes. After a lot of time with open sights, then transition (if desired) to a scope.

jimbob86

A .22 revolver is a fine place to start; a semi-auto will take a lot more effort, and can wait until he learns the basics.

I don't see where a semi-auto like the Ruger Markwhatevers or the Browning buckmark would take any more effort than a wheelgun. They are single action guns with small grips that fit small hands pretty well. They are less complicated than a bicycle as far as controls, so I'm sure a kid could master it-mine all have.

friend offered an interesting rifle: He won a Marlin 882L in .22 Mag in an IPSC competiton.

Of the 3 marlin rimfires at Rancho '86, the last one purchased (the 15ys) has an atrocious trigger- heavy and squishy. It was purchased just 2 years ago, IIRC ...... Remlin? The other two have seen significantly more use, particularly Eldest's gun, which is almost a decade old. It's bolt and trigger just keep getting slicker and slicker.

The Savage Cub is my favorite of the bunch, but the gun's owner never became a really enthusiastic shooter..... she's far more interested in boys .....:eek:

Last edited:

MarkCO

I started my boys on Ruger MkIIs at 6. My 11 year old runs 5 shots on steel plates from the low ready in under 2 seconds now. The SIG mosquito and Revolver had triggers that were too heavy to start with.

If you can use subsonics, even better to start.

Para Bellum

Savage 93R17-GV in .17HMR

...at the range the Marlin 822L (22WMR) was ok. But then at the gunshop we saw a Savage 93 with accutrigger etc. That's gonna be it. In .17HMR.

...just not sure whether I'll by it for the boy or for myself. :p

Para Bellum

I've had my mind changed. ;-)

Bought the Marlin 882L in 22 WMR which my friend had won at the IPSC competition years ago (and never shot). Now we're looking for a scope. I think it will be a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40.

Have a good one,
PB

Biff Tannen

You have an excellent fatherly instinct!
.22 revolver all the way!
Good luck, God bless, and enjoy your time with the youngin'!

Chaz88

Even though my youngest daughter insists she "needs" a .44, .460, .500, or DE .50 I started her with a .22 buck mark and my 6" Mod 28 with light .38 hand loads. She started on a .22 single shot rifle first and is better with that but is progressing well with pistols.

pilpens

My GF's child (10 year old now) started with my .22 rifle.
Once in a while he would try my .22 handgun (Ruger MKxx, Browning, Buckmark).

I got a Ruger SR22. Fits his hand a lot better. It is what he shoots now when we shoot handgun. At first it was 1 round only in the mag. The number of rounds increased as my trust with his safety skills grew.

For the most part, he prefers to shoot his scoped .22LR marlin 795 semi-auto with shortened stock at 25 and 50 yards.

====
handguns:
Anyone with small hands or children start out with the Ruger SR22.

Children:
start out with the rifle, then move to handguns - Ruger SR22.
====

Last edited: