Handgun for boy to start with

357 Python

A Ruger Single Six Convertable would be a great start. He could start with 22LR then later use 22 Magnums later. The model that has the 5 1/2" barrel and stainless steel is what I've been looking at for a while.

NWCP

A Browning Buckmark or a Ruger Single Six in .22LR. Either would be excellent learning pistols. they are not too expensive and both are very reliable. I taught my son to shoot a pistol with the Browning Buckmark. He really enjoyed it. He now owns a Walther P38. While he prefers the 9mm he still likes to grab the Buckmark for a day at the range. JMHO

Bozz10mm

Unless he has had some experience with basic marksmanship, and firearms handling, at least a BB gun, it is usually better to start off a youngster with a rifle.

But, otherwise, for his first pistol, see if you can find a good used Ruger Mark I, or Mark II. That is a pistol that he can use now, and will still be a good gun to own and shoot when he gets older and even into his adult years.

Pilot

Ruger MK II, or Browning Buckmark would be great. I'd lean towards a semi-auto as that is what he will probably be using for SD as he gets older. Nothing wrong with revolvers, but it would be better to get him use to the operation of what he will eventually graduate to in the future.

qwiksdraw

If you want to get him a revolver, be sure to check out the Heritage Arms Rough Rider. This is a very affordable revolver that is reliable and easy to shoot. You can get one with cylinders for both 22LR (shorts & longs) and 22 Magnum. Additionally, he can start shooting with quiet rounds and work his way up to something louder and cooler.

http://grabagun.com/heritage-mfg-inc-rr22b4-22lr-4-75-bl.html

It's a fun gun to shoot for big kids like me, too!

Sarge

I started mine on either a Single Six or H&R Sportsman. Neither left anything to be desired as a training gun.

buck460XVR

my 9year old boy would like to start shooting real guns. What would be your choice as first gun? A .22lr revolver maybe?

If this is indeed a "first" gun and not just a first handgun, I think a .22 rifle is better than any handgun. Rifles are easier to handle for young children and easy to be successful with. Immediate success promotes continued participation for young kids.

jimbob86

If this is indeed a "first" gun and not just a first handgun, I think a .22 rifle is better than any handgun. Rifles are easier to handle for young children and easy to be successful with. Immediate success promotes continued participation for young kids.

I would concur, except for the fact that the OP asked this in the handgun forum.

All my kiddoes' first guns were .22 youth single shots. They picked them out, saved for them, and (all but the youngest) took 4-H Shooting Sports with them. They still have them.

They chose a Marlin 15Y, a Savage Cub, another 15Y, a 15YS, and the youngest has not made up her mind yet......

hornetguy

Lots of good suggestions here. My first thought would be a single action .22 rimfire, but I wouldn't be against a good semi-auto, either. There are ways to be cautious and safe with an autoloader with kids... load only one, or two rounds at the most, etc...
The Ruger MkII is a great handgun, but it's a little heavy for smaller kids. I was going to recommend the Buckmark (and still do), but Ruger has come out with a "lite" version of the 22/45 which would probably be at least as good as the Buckmark, possibly better.
Once they have burned up a couple of bricks of .22 ammo, I'd ease them into a downloaded centerfire... preferrably a revolver. Smith model 10? GP100? Something along those lines, with wadcutter ammo.

tlm225

I have started my 9 YOA grandson out with a S&W mdl 34. The advantage of starting with a DA revolver is that you have both a DA and SA in one gun.

rockinrandy

I might be a little younger and still remember how I started shooting. The parenthesis are approximate age. The first was a BB/Pellet gun(7), then upgraded to a 22lr rifle(8), then to 30-30(11), then muzzleloader(12), and 30-06(15). Pistols though are a little different but I started with a 22lr Colt target (10), 38 special (hammerless don't remember model but snubbier) (10 later in the year), 357 Mag GP100 (11), and pretty much by 13 could shoot anything I could fit my hand around. But for a first gun I would lean towards semi-auto (I think this is what more tend to shoot). I would say it's like anything though buy what's comfortable and falls into your price range.

buck460XVR

I would concur, except for the fact that the OP asked this in the handgun forum.

Yeah, I know, but in his OP he asked about "first gun". Sometimes we as dads and grandpas want our kids and grandkids to run before they walk. While my 7 yr old granddaughter has shot my Buckmark and my 686 with mild .38s, her first gun was still a cricket .22 rifle and the one she shoots the most. If the young boy already has a .22 rifle, then Kudos to dad.

FireCop203

I started mine with a single action .22 revolver. I originally tried with a semi auto .22, but the fist thing they tried to do was empty it as fast as they could pull the trigger. The single action made them take the time to cock the gun and aim.

A few years ago I started my friend's 8 or 9 year old on my Hi Standard Sentinel 6".

It was NOT a success, as the gun was far too muzzle heavy for him to aim effectively for more than a few seconds.

The same with my Browning Buckmark, just too unbalanced for him.

I actually had to switch him to my .32 Regulation Police with light wadcutter loads.

A few years later and I had picked up a 4" Model 18 with the heavy barrel, and he had grown a little bit. He was able to handle that gun, and liked it so much, that I had to frisk him to make sure he wasn't trying to pocket it and take it home to Iowa.

My point is, don't worry quite so much about the type of action you're going to be buying right now. You can teach around things like the desire to empty the magazine as fast as he can (by controlling the number of rounds in the magazine).

Worry about getting a gun that your son can handle right now.

That will make the teaching process a LOT easier, cut down on frustration, and make it a lot more enjoyable for everyone.

Pahoo

Teaching Evolution and History.

I see an interesting observation on teaching young folks. I guess one has to ask what the expectations are. If it's a semi-auto with a RedDot, so be it. For me, that would be part of it but the bigger picture is teaching a kid about the history and evolution of firearms. Before I work my Grandsons into handguns, I make sure they have a good working knowledge of long guns. In fact, I started mine out, on SideLocks and that didn't go over very well or last long. Then I progressed to a long-guns and then, handguns. They see that firearms are all connected... :)

Lately I mostly teach M/L's and start with the Flintlocks to the percussion and the progression to the center fired metal cartridge. I show them the neat 45/70 package. Our classes would be much shorter and simpler, if I just taught them how to load and shoot an In-Line. I not capable of teaching this way. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Closing The Gap

My boys started with a single six, sr22, 1911-22 around age 8, and now have graduated up to a Beretta 92fs(my 10yo) and a Glock 22(my 13 yo). I'm proud and ashamed to say that my 13 yo shoots the Glock far more accurately than me. They both love breaking out the .22s for impromptu shooting gallery fun with the wife and I.

bt380

Bolt action 22 rifle. But only when you are with him. When he has proven himself safe, then work into a 22 single action revolver. Have him take a gun safety class from a legitimate gun range. Also the both of you join a gun club that meets at a gun range. Keep the guns in a safe that he doesn't know the combo. Despite his responsibility and your trust in him. He is still a 9 year old boy. They do not have their lobes developed as yet and their reasoning skills is highly influenced by sugar and the batman comic books.

pilpens

My choice would be:
1st. SA cowboy gun - Ruger Single six or like.
2nd. DA/SA revolver
3rd. Semi-Auto pistol - Ruger SR22, etc.
===========
Of course all these assumes that the .22 handgun fits the child's hand.
===========
I have always started out children with a .22 rifle then move to .22 handgun when they feel ready.

Chuck Dye

Mike Irwin said:
...far too muzzle heavy...

...just too unbalanced for him...

Thanks, Mr. Irwin!

I bought the 6" tapered barrel Ruger MkII and regretted that taper from the beginning. None of the kids, even the smallest, has ever shown the slightest sign of difficulty with it. Guess there is always a flip side.

Last edited: