Gym carry

fivepaknh

The gym is just as likely to have some nut job go crazy as anywhere else. You never know who's looking for their ex-wife/girlfriend or who's a disgruntled employee.

I just tried carrying at my gym a couple of times and I find it doesn't hinder my workout. So far I've used my Smartcarry holster with either my Ruger LC9 or my LCR.

Do you carry at the gym? If so, what's your method of carry and what firearm. If you carry most other places, but not at the gym, why not?

Thanks for playing.:D

KC Rob

Sure I carry a gun at the gym, two in fact and they are not concealed, I am showing them off. One coming out of each sleeve. :D Bada Bum. I'll be here all week folks.

Mosin44az

There was a mass shooting just a couple of years ago when some crazed loner, apparently angry with women, entered one and shot up a women's aerobics class, several killed.

fivepaknh

When you think about it the gym is probably one of the more vulnerable places for a mass shooting. Being dressed down to workout clothes many that usually carry probably don't.

stu925

For the record, I haven't been in a gym since I left High School. However if I did go to a gym and decided I needed to carry there, I'd give serious consideration to a belly band type holster. I used to carry a Ruger P-90 in one during the summer, worked great especially when wearing cloth shorts with a draw string. No worries about the handgun pulling your shorts down.

Stu

TxFlyFish

I don't have much experience with gyms :D but I would think something thats light enough not to pull down your shorts while hopin round, something that allows you to carry without getting too hot, sweat resistant, and macho enough to impress the girls when the situation arise

Kreyzhorse

I carry often but I don't carry at the the gym or when out for a run. I understand that you can't pick the time and place that you might need a gun but there are times that I'm willing to go unarmed because most carry methods aren't great options for those activities.

Don't carry when I swim either. :)

BitterTait

it happens, although I'd be more worried about being robbed on the way to the car.

I've got a fanny pack, the outside pocket's used for my mp3 player & water bottle. The inside's got room for my Marakov, and there's a nifty pocket to the side that fits a spare magazine. Not the fastest draw by a long run, but it's the only method I know of that allows me to show up in work clothes, change into gym clothes, and then change back without ever exposing my pistol to the open air.

Only problem is when I shower or use the sauna. I'd wager it's safer in the locker then in a vehicle glove-box, but I'm not going to deny that there's the occasional worry.

Last edited:

Hibby

YMCA

The YMCA prohibits firearms on the premises as well as other weapons, so unfortunately I don't carry one. I'm sure the crazed boyfriend will obey the rules too though, so I don't worry...

I'd like to think I workout hard enough that a weapon would be a serious hindrance. :D

JerryM

Does anyone have a ninstance of someone in a gym being attacked? I sometimes carry at the gym because of where I came from to the gym. I just carry my KT P3AT under my shirt.
However, I am not concerned enough to always carry. I would be interested to learn of any attack in a gym.

Jerry

Sixer

I've carried my P380 on occasion. Usually IWB on the opposite side of my iPod. Actually, after reading this thread, I think I'll carry it more often.

Skans

Cargo short. You can easily carry a Ruger LC9 or even an AMT 45 Backup in cargo shorts. I've seen a few people use fanny packs for cc at guns as well - including one female.

ClydeFrog

concealed firearms: fitness centers, spree killers...

There are documented incidents of "spree killings" & armed robbery events in private gyms & fitness centers. One event I know of took place in the metro Pittsburgh PA area about 2/3 years ago.
A deranged man shot up a LA Fitness then killed himself in a "suicide by cop" incident.
I'd check the gym's rules or member SOPs before you start carrying any weapons on the property first. ;)
You may also want to consider a small Mk III can of OC(Fox, Sabre Red, Mace, etc). A C2 Taser may help too. If you do plan to carry a small firearm, Kramer, 5.11, Under Armor and a few other brands market undershirts & work-out clothes that can conceal firearms.
See www.Glockstore.com www.5.11tactical.com www.policeHQ.com
I'd buy a polymer Ruger LCR .357magnum with a CT lasergrip or a Glock 36 .45acp or a compact Kahr in .40/9x19mm.
A plastic/polymer frame handgun would hold up better to sweat, body fluids & heat better than metal. It's lighter also.