Guns in the Movies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireForged

Maybe I am to critical of Movies and Tv shows but here are a few pet peeves of mine.

1. Holding the bad guy at gunpoint when the slide is locked back???

2. When you notice that the bad guy has racked his shotgun 3 or 4 times and has yet to fire it???

3. When the good guy runs into the building with an auto pistol but when he gets to the roof he has a ss revolver???

4. Out of bullits, slide locked back but they act like they are pulling the trigger and you hear the click click sound??

5. Revolvers that never run out of ammo??

6. Silencers on Revolvers??

Ok, I feel better now.. Have I missed any?

DAL

How about indicating the direction a person is supposed to walk by casually waving a gun?

Or (this is mostly older movies and TV) someone dropping in their tracks and dying instantly when hit with a handgun bullet? Yeah, I'm sure it happens, but not THAT often.

And one of my all-time favorites: People (ordinary citizens, not BGs) who run around shooting other people with impunity. They rarely ever seem to get arrested and/or go to court. But what else can you expect from Hollywood?
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

Building sweeps with the either the Half or Full Sabirna (Charlie's Angels) Hold. The half is with one hand holding the near the face, barrel up and the full is the same but with both hands. I guess it's good for closeups.

Ulfilas

I remember this one from the Matrix: When the Glock-toting cops enter into the room, and you hear the sound of a racking slide. Makes for neat effect, but is NOT tactically advantageous.

Or another one, I have only seen ONE movie where someone reloads a semi-auto (Raiders of the Lost Ark: Harrison Ford reloads his .45 after it runs dry--you see the slide locked back), and I have NEVER seen anyone use a speed loader on a wheelgun, either on TV or in the movies.

In B-grade or low-budget movies, regardless of how recent it's made, you'll find more revolvers than are actually preferred.

------------------
"And a Cartridge in a Bare Tree..."

Glenn E. Meyer

You want to see scary gun handling -
watch COPS. I posted on this in the
No-knock thread.

Here's another I mentioned somewhere, might
have been on tactics-L.

Our hero is a Las Vegas LEO (this is for
info - not putting down the town). He is very studly (as my daughter would say). Probably looks better than the old fat boy cop. Our hero goes to the range with an SW 45 semiauto.
We are sure to know that it is a FORTY FIVE. Wow.

He engaged a target at about 7 yards. Maybe a B-27 or some other human silhouette, I don't recall. He did not use his sights but held
the gun at chest level. Studly then held
up the target to the camera. There were holes from the botton to top. Wow!

Studly then goes on patrol. He gets a call about a guy with a gun. He stops the dude
in his car and run up to it. He has his finger
on the trigger as he shoves the gun into
the befuddled BG's face. BG is making no resistance. With finger still on the trigger
he shoves BG into the car door. He then searches BG with the 4506 shove in his spine and with his finger still on the trigger. A twitch and the BG is toast. Wasn't even clear this was the right guy.

So, who cares about TV shows? Watch Buffy
anyway. Someone on that show is an enthusiast.

Last, if you watched Charley's Angels for their stance and grip - you've been shooting
too long. <g>

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Gun handling seems right in "Silence of the Lambs". Not sure why BG thumb-cocks his revolver for contact shot, but the would-be victims gives six .38s back point shooting then tries to reload from a speed-loader...with trembling hands. Neat scene.

James K

Member In Memoriam
So many movie gun goofs I can't count them.

Star Wars troopers with Lewis guns, MG34s and Sterlings.
James Bond's instant change from a PPK to a Browning 1910.
M1911 types fired and hammer still down (probably dummy guns with sound added to sount track).
Pioneer woman (Rhonda Fleming) firing a "flintlock Kentucky rifle" and then flipping open the trapdoor breech.

Custer's troopers armed with 7mm Mexican Mausers.

TV -
Hogan's Heroes' Sgt. Schultz with a U.S. Krag.
Davy Crockett with a flintlock and his second banana with a 7mm Remington Rolling Block.

Just a few, folks.

Jim

Jim V

The TV show MIKE HAMMER, Hammer is chasing a BG and blazing away with his 1911, It is at slide lock back, Hammer is outside a door to an apartment, kicks in the door and when he gets thru the door the 1911 has the slide forward and ready to go.

How about the hero(?) that has to check his handgun several times during the day to make sure it is loaded.

In the movie EXTREME PREJUDICE with Nick Nolte there is some realistic gun handling. Nick fires his 1911A1 empty and reloads, nobody racks a shotgun to stress a point or fires 37k shots out of a revolver w/o loading.

In the remake of THE GETAWAY there is a great scene where the female lead is stuffing ammo into a 1911 mag after she shot it and others dry.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

blades67

In the movie Dead Bang, Don Johnson carries a 6" Python and reloads several times using speedloaders. HiPowers and MAC-10s are used extensively by the bad guys, and they actually run out of ammo and reload! The movie was even okay.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

Destructo6

Dolf Lungren movie, currently out on video (probably straight to video) the front cover shows him with a strange looking CAR-15, with THE MAGAZINE INSERTED UPSIDE DOWN. Actually, it looks as though the production company added the AR and magazine after the photo was taken (everything looks a little odd).

Grayfox

One that always bothered me was the scene in Red Dawn where Powers Booth jumps on the enemy tank and starts blasting away at the driver. On the first or second shot the slide on his 1911 locks back, but he still manages to get off a couple more rounds. Huh?

Clint Eastwood movies usually have some pretty good gun handling. Harry Calahan fires six and out comes the speed loader. Even Tyne Daly did a speed reload in The Enforcer. Not real well, but she did it.

Bob Locke

I always wondered about Eastwood waving that .44 magnum around and firing it the way that he did in his Dirty Harry movies.

After I put a couple of boxes through a very beefy S&W model 629, I concluded that we was lied to!

Jorah Lavin

In "Silence of the Lambs," is it possible that the BG had to cock the revolver because it was a single action? On an older movie thread, someone mentioned one of my favorite movie shooting scenes as having decent "realistic" gun sounds... the bank-robbery scene in "Heat."

One of my all-time favorite action/comedy movies is "Grosse Point Blank," but the gun handling is lousy. The gun mistakes are so many, and so silly, you can't count them. For another movie with countless gun errors, it would be hard to beat the most recent Mummy film... every time one of these characters waves a gun... slabsides or revolver, they each make slide-racking sounds!

-moss

Pilate

The director Jim Jarmusch in his cameo in the film "Blue in the Face" mentioned how he was bothered by how guys would fire their guns empty and throw them away. "Can't they reload? Or put it away? Guns are expensive."

I personally dislike using the thumb and trigger to decock a Sig. Or trained FBI agents firing one handed. Or using twin handguns at the same time and hitting with every shot. I read that to two guys who run the unofficial Sig and HK USP sites tried it once in the desert shooting at an old typewriter. They never hit it.

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Watching "Lawrence of Arabia" now, again. Noticed sm-th funny...Turks at Akaba have, instead of their normal Spandau or MG13 Maxims, Browning 30cal MGs from 1920s or later...right next to the cameras, too.

Grayfox

I just watched The Matrix again. In the big battle scene where Neo and Trinity enter the building there is a point where Neo draws a pair of small sub guns (sorry, don't know what they are) and starts a running attack at the soldiers. The mags in the guns are only wide enough for a pistol cartridge, but there's .223 brass falling all around his feet.

lp

In the movie "Mad Max" one of the BGs holds a shotgun with the end of the barrel about an inch from his ear and fires a round. Not even a flinch.

Saw an episode of the X Files where they show a handgun go off in slow motion and instead of a bullet flying through the air it is a whole handgun cartridge.

Every semi-auto handgun in a movie is called a 9mm, even if it obviously isn't.

denfoote

Latest pet peeve: Ad for the latest Bond flick; James is holding his P99 with his finger on the trigger!!!!

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!

Status
Not open for further replies.