"Gun Show Loophole"

Romeo 33 Delta

I scored a Winchester 1895 Russian Contract musket just that way. I spied this rifle front end sticking out of the crowd ... walking around. Talked to the guy, inspected the rifle, pulled out my money and it was mine!

thecelt

Dealers are required to perform background checks at gun shows, but private citizens are not. The majority of sales are through dealers. You will hear the left say that 40% of guns are aquired without a background check but the truth is the vast majority of this 40% are passed down in families or sold to friends. In a study of over 14000 convicted violent criminals only 1% of them aquired guns this way, so it isnt the problem the left would have us believe.

Do you really think that there should be government involvement for a private transaction between two private citizens, i sure dont! Do you perform a background check before selling someone a car, truck, motorcycle, etc...to see if they have any tickets or drunk driving convictions, the answer is no so why should the government poke their nose into a firearm sale? Background checks are backdoor registration, and for those who say that they havent done it yet, or wont..... dont be naive! The left has a goal to disarm the american public. Dont let this happen!

Willie Sutton

Is it frowned upon to go into the actual gun show with a firearm and a For Sale sign in a state where it is unregulated (WI)? Should that person stay outside near the door?

I guess it depends on the show, but guys walking around with a pencil dropped down the bore of a rifle or shotgun with a flag-sign on it made out of a couple of index cards with "for sale" on it has been a fixture at every gunshow I have ever attended. It's to invite conversations from both tables and pedestrians. Just part of the fun. Standing outside hawking guns is less likely to be taken with a smile... pay your entry fee and walk around inside.

My opinion is that it's fine to conduct private sales on the show floor as long as you don't:
1) Interrupt a conversation between a buyer and a dealer to try to sell the buyer *your* gun instead.
2) If another private seller is trying to sell a gun to a dealer, don't jump in with an offer on the gun until the dealer has declined and turned the seller away.

Absolutely. There is a well developed sense of fair play involved by people who are serious collectors. Like waiting for the guy ahead of you to put back onto the table the gun that you are DYING to snap up before jumping into the conversation. If he was there first... let him look at it quietly while he decides. It's his until he places it back down. After that it's fair game.

Willie

Glenn E. Meyer

Once again - I will remind folks that we don't do : left vs. right, liberal vs. conservative.

Get that in your heads. We can come up with lists of both sides who are pro and antigun. That's the distinction we use.

Deleted some of that.

Webleymkv

As I recall, the first time I heard the term "gun show loophole" bandied about was after some of the Columbine shooters' weapons were found to have come from a gun show. What was conveniently ignored was that they were purchased at the gun show through an illegal straw purchaser and thus "closing the gun show loophole" would not have prevented them from acquiring the guns.

As has been mentioned, federal law applies whether one is buying a gun in a brick and mortar store, online, or at a gun show: any gun bought from an FFL holder is subject to a NICS check and guns bought from private individuals are not. When the anti's bemoan the gun show loophole, what they really mean is that they want their tentacles in private transactions. If anything can be accurately characterized as a "gun show loophole," it's the poorly-written law that fails to clearly define the difference between occasional private sales and engaging in the business of selling firearms.