Gun Ownership Poll Accuracy

If you were asked whether you own a gun by a pollster you would answer....

• Yes, I own more than one even.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • Yes, (But refuse to answer about any details.)

Votes: 40 22.1%
  • Refuse to answer the question.

Votes: 76 42.0%
  • Guns,who has guns? No guns here! (or words to that effect)

Votes: 38 21.0%

• Total voters

22-rimfire

I would participate in the poll. My answer about firearm ownership is NO. My answer about many things is NO as opposed to "that's none of your business". None of your business is not usually one of the available choices.

Do you keep a supply of toilet paper inside your house? NO
Do you have more food than you need for the next week? NO
Do you have a savings account? NO
Do you have stocks and bonds outside of a retirement account? NO
Do you have a retirement account? NO
Do you have a job? NO
What is your view about the economy in the next 6 months? Worse
What's your view about the economy in the next year? Worse
Is the job situation in your area about the same as last year? YES
Do you expect the job situation to improve in the coming year? NO
Do you think the economy is better, the same, or worse than a year ago? Worse

I'm great with polls. :D

shortwave

I'd most likely answer that question with a question depending if I'm in a frisky mood.

Such as...how much money do you have in your checking/savings acct.?...or...what's your S.S. number? Or do you have any sister's I can date...what about mom?

If they still haven't hung up on me the questions are subject to get a bit more colorful.

scrubcedar

Something popped up in my head last night. I see a lot of if/then posts here. "If they contacted me this way, then I would..." Has anyone here actually been contacted by someone about their gun ownership data?

Mausermolt

my grandpa always brings this point up when someone says "gun" : "a gun is something mounted on a naval ship used for long range bombardment.you must be talking about a rifle,pistol or shotgun." so if someone asks me if i own guns (unfamiliar person) i tell them "nope, as far as i know they are illegal." i love be a smart alec :p

j3ffr0

I don't do unsolicited phone calls.

However assuming the poll was done in some other public place (outside gun store or whatever) I would have no problem answering truthfully.

Dr Big Bird PhD

I would participate in the poll. My answer about firearm ownership is NO. My answer about many things is NO as opposed to "that's none of your business". None of your business is not usually one of the available choices.

Do you keep a supply of toilet paper inside your house? NO
Do you have more food than you need for the next week? NO
Do you have a savings account? NO
Do you have stocks and bonds outside of a retirement account? NO
Do you have a retirement account? NO
Do you have a job? NO
What is your view about the economy in the next 6 months? Worse
What's your view about the economy in the next year? Worse
Is the job situation in your area about the same as last year? YES
Do you expect the job situation to improve in the coming year? NO
Do you think the economy is better, the same, or worse than a year ago? Worse
Definitely the best of all responses

STW

I was a professional pollster (or at least market researcher) in a past life. I used to answer most any question from pollsters simply because I knew what I hard time the people on the phone had. Not any more.

I've seen results twisted to fit an agenda by the client even when I, as the researcher, did my best to remove bias and leading questions. Too many polls today are bad in that they are designed to fit a preconceived agenda. Companies trying to sell products generally do it right. They are spending their own money and someone, or at least someone's budget, will bear responsibility. Southwick Assoc. does monthly polls for the gun industry and I participate in those for that reason.

Political polls are agenda driven and need to be avoided like the plague they are.

larryh1108

Polls have no validity. It depends on where they are taken and who is contacted. This poll here shows almost 25% would lie and 40% would not answer. If they mark a refused to answer as an answer that the taker wants (like no answer meas yes to gun control) then the answers are skewed. If you take a poll in downtown Manhattan it will be different than if you took it outside a Farm & Feed store in rural America. Where did the calling list originate? Registered voters? Registered Democrats? 18-25 year old college students? Totally random? Does anyone here believe a totally random selection? I don't. Whoever sponsors the polls gets their list of who to call somewhere and I have no faith in the list. Polls are meaningless.

We can have a poll here of who owns guns and use that for an agenda. What do you think the results would be? 99% of people are gun owners?

LogicMan

IMO, gun ownership is not as important. It's what number or percentage of Americans support the Second Amendment. This, I think, is something that the gun control people ignore. You'll see things like:

"The NRA only has four million members. They can't be that powerful. Four million is a tiny percentage of the 300+ million Americans in this country. The NRA is just a very vocal minority and a lobbying arm of the gun industry."

"Gun ownership is on the decline. Fewer Americans own guns today than before, therefore the gun lobby's days are numbered."

I think both are flawed for a few reasons:

1) I made this point in another thread, but I'll make it here too: the NRA's influence does not reside solely with those who are members. It also has the ear of many more non-members. It thus represents a large swath of Americans.

2) The gun control people seem to forget this point, but the number of people who own guns is not the same as the number of people who support the Second Amendment. There are plenty of people who don't own a gun, have never owned a gun, probably never will own a gun, and who don't know that much about guns, but who nevertheless strongly believe in and support the Second Amendment. They appreciate that they have the right to acquire a firearm should they feel they really need or want one.

In the past, even with higher levels of gun ownership, it seems fewer Americans supported the Second Amendment. A lot of the gun ownership was among hunters, and hence the gun control proponents could always rely on the, "We're not trying to take away your bolt-action hunting rifle or anything like that..." and thus the constant drum about hunting and so forth. Joe Biden said recently about how one problem for them was that they are not dealing with just hunters anymore, they are dealing with a lot of people who own guns for protection and sport shooting purposes.

We see this also with the Anheuser Busch guy withdrawing his NRA membership, saying how it "used" to be an organization of hunters and how he sees "assault weapons" and "high-capacity magazines" as bad. He was the ideal type that the gun control people would target. Basically people who had the attitude of, "It's fine if you take away THAT guy's gun, just so long as you don't take away MY gun."

Now there has been much handwringing by the gun control people over how the Second Amendment is now seen as an individual right. Many of them really think that it was a collective right because they don't know the history of it. And for many years, I think this was sort of the standard line-of-thinking, that the Second Amendment was just a collective right and most people who owned guns owned them more for hunting and so forth, and thus gun control was much easier to pass.

But since the 1960s, gun rights people have fought hard to get people to understand what the Second Amendment is really about, that it protects a right to keep arms for self-defense (which can include the government, although that can require more in-depth explaining or else you can get portrayed as a conspiracy theory type) and that terms like "assault weapon" and "high-capacity magazine" are political terms meant to trick the general public.

As long as the general public believes in the Second Amendment, then gun ownership levels are not as relevant, but what is important is that gun rights people continue to fight vigilantly to keep the general public educated on firearms. For example, some people, maybe even a lot, who support the Second Amendment, only recently since the Newtown shooting became aware that the AR-15 is not an automatic fire weapon, that it's semiautomatic. Beforehand, they supported the Second Amendment, but otherwise only had a passing interest in firearms.

I thought a textbook example of this was the conservative Bill Kristol. I saw him on television some months back say (paraphrasing as I forget the exact quote): "I support the Second Amendment, but I'm not sure if I support someone being allowed to own a semiautomatic, quasi-machine gun that shoots five-hundred rounds in an instant." :)eek::eek:). However, now he is aware that AR-15s are semiautomatic, so he was one who supports the 2nd, but didn't know much about guns, and now has educated himself more on the issue.

745SW

I too will refuse to answer virtually any poll about firearms.:eek:

Not even my neighbors know I’m a gun person and I do my best to keep it that way largely for reasons already mentioned. All the loaded tacticool long gun cases don’t make any sense to me considering I need to cover it with a trash bag, blanket and use cardboard anyway.

In the distant past I like many others were looking forward to show familiars my guns but not anymore. Overall it hasn’t proven to be productive in anyway and it’s not the way to get a non-interested person interested. Some folks should not own or operate guns because they are not willing to put anywhere near the effort and/or have the interest to be responsible.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Some of the worst possible things we as gun owners could be doing is refuse to answer polls, act like we're ashamed of owning guns and hide it from every one around us.

"Owning and shooting guns is perfectly normal!", says I.

"Then why do you hide it like you're dealing Crack?", says Me

"...uh..."

Normal people doing normal things don't (shouldn't) hide from other people. How do we expect others to accept it as normal if we stigmatize it ourselves?

larryh1108

Exactly,

I don't put NRA stickers on my car or house not because I'm ashamed but because I don't want to be a target for thieves. I don't have the protected by Smith and Wesson or any gun related logos for the same reasons. Guns are very much in demand by thieves and if they know your house has some they'll lay in wait for you to leave and try to get them. They are more valuable than electronics and Rx. I'm not ashamed one bit to be a gun owner but I don't advertise it either. I'm not bothered one bit if Suzy Homemaker knows I have guns and she is aghast but I surely don't want her strung out son and his buddies to know I have them. Keeping them secure means more than locking them up. It means it's a need to know basis and they don't need to know.

Last edited:

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
MLeake said:
How do we know a pollster is legit, and not a would-be burglar?

1) Sometimes, the odds of something make it just not worth considering. Plus, is this would be burglar saying to himself "Hey, let's go rob the guy who DOES have guns!" or "Let's rob the guy who DOESN'T have guns!"? Either one, is an assumption on our part and either one might put you in danger, though I'd put it on roughly the same odds as a meteor strike.

2) Not answering polls is only one small issue. Most of us will never be polled anyway. Acting like owning and enjoying firearms is something we should be ashamed of, is completely different.

scrubcedar

I wonder whether the tipping point in our wanting to be close mouthed about our guns has mostly came from increased worries about robbery or government seizure?

22-rimfire

I wonder whether the tipping point in our wanting to be close mouthed about our guns has mostly came from increased worries about robbery or government seizure?

Ya think? All you have to do is compare to smoking and using tobacco products.... First taxation. Age restrictions. A growing public health issue (CDC). Then stigmization. Restrictions on use, even in open air. More recently... more taxes (double) to be placed on a minority (per the Presidents budget proposal). And people accept this as a reasonable thing for the government to do (reasonable restrictions).... It's about FREEDOM. Some will say... oh, it's a dirty harmful practice.... well, they could say exactly the same things with firearms.

vito

Consider something: you don't always know who is really running a poll, and what data will be maintained. It could be a local newspaper, who will then publish your name and address as a gun owner. It could be a law enforcement agency just trying to get a good idea of who to keep an eye on. It could be any number of individuals or groups, none of which are necessarily acting in your best interests. Let the poll ask: do you support the Constitution of the United States? That one I will answer. And as to guns, maybe you would get some interesting answers if one choice on your poll was: Used to own a gun, lost it in a boating incident.

bob.a

I generally don't participate in random phone polls. It's usually obvious from the first few questions that the poll is slanted to produce a particular response.

Essay questions only.

I'd certainly not tell a random stranger about the contents of my house.