Gun left in bathroom stall

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuckRub

I know officers have and will continue to leave pistol in bathrooms. To me it's still reckless and careless. If I would have been the one to find it he would have gotton a lesson , he wouldn't be owning that one no more.

aarondhgraham

Anyone can have a momentary lapse of reason,,,

...he wouldn't be owning that one no more.

I think that's how my Mom became the owner of a Colt snubbie,,,
This was way back in the dark ages when she owned the bar I was born in.

I've never seen one abandoned in a bathroom,,,
But three times I've gone to my range and found guns left there.

A nice Savage rifle,,,
An expensive looking over-under shotgun,,,
And a Ruger 22 semi-automatic pistol of some Mark version.

Anyone can have a momentary lapse of reason,,,
I haven't as yet but the key word is "yet".

Aarond

Rifleman1776

This entire thread is not a good reflection on LEOs. It says they are careless and indifferent when it comes to firearms handling.
Fact is, when I owned my gun shop the only people who ever brought in gun loaded and handed them to me were police. These were not their service arms but sporting arms that either needed repair or they were trying to sell. I can't say why but my antenna went up when a police officer came in with a gun. Scary.
BTW, if I found a gun in a bathroom stall it would be mine if I could not identify the owner. If I could I would return. I would not trust a clerk, or whatever, to do the right thing.

btmj

My wife read this thread and she had to both laugh and shake her head in disappointment.

Since she started carrying 3 years ago, she has made countless trips to public rest rooms... It is nearly a daily occurrence for her. I hate to point out the obvious, but unlike a man, a woman must sit down every time she visits the toilet. So she has ample experience in this matter.

She says the solution is simple. unbuckle the pants and belt and lower them to knee level, then refasten the belt. Use leg muscles to apply tension to the belt at knee level, thus preventing the pants, holster, and gun from going any lower than the knees. This also keeps the holster positioned "up" rather than flopping around. Now sit, and do your business. Yes, you do have to keep a bit of tension on the belt with your knees the whole time.

I asked her "what if it is hard to relax while tensioning your knees", and her response was "eat more fiber and relaxation won't be a problem".
:eek:

Jim

ClydeFrog

Almost, but not quite....

I almost had a big hassle about 5 years ago, when I drove down to the Port of Miami & Miami Florida then left my pistol case(which contained my loaded Ruger GPNY .38spl revolver) on the hood of my Chevy Cavalier. :eek:
An alert cab driver waved at me & pointed out my goof. :eek:

Mistakes can occur. Stress, fatigue, illness etc can cause mishaps but care should be taken with firearms/ammunition.

CF

pax

btmj,

Excellent post.

I'm with your wife, shaking my head and laughing. Do some guys really just drop trou clear to their ankles in public toilets? Ewwwww.

If your carry gear does not hold the gun securely even while using the facilities, you need better carry gear. A holster that lets the gun fall out when it's tipped gently upside down is a bad holster and should be thrown away -- and I don't care how much you paid for it. "Holding the gun securely" is right at the top of the holster's job description. If it won't do that much, it's trash.

pax

royal barnes

I pocket carry a small revolver in a right front pocket holster so no matter my need I don't take the gun out.

I was at my local range a couple of years ago on a Saturday and saw a range bag sitting under a table. I opened it and discovered 3 Sig 9mm's , holsters, custom earplugs and about a hundred rounds of ammo. The owners name tag was on the bag so I called him, took the guns home, and he picked them up. He left them at the range the Saturday before and had not missed them. It was a good bag because it had rained several times that week but everything inside was dry. His response when I called him was, "Oh well". Didn't even say thanks.:eek:

ClydeFrog

Massad Ayoob; Barney Miller's Det Fish....

This topic reminds me of a gun press item, author & use of force trainer Massad Ayoob put out about holsters & public restrooms.

Ayoob brought up the old ABC TV sitcom; Barney Miller & the veteran NYPD detective character; Fish(Abe Vigoda). Ayoob stated it would make sense for a older cop like Det Fish to tote his S&W model 10 revolver in a leather shoulder rig if he needed to make frequent trips to the restroom. ;)

CF

daddyo

Detective was demoted to patrolman which carries a big reduction in pay. I think this case is over now.

I bumped an old thread just to finalize the incident.

DasGuy

Even worse, in Seattle, a cop left his AR-15 on the back of the patrol car. Then another cop proceeded to drive around the city with the rifle still on the car.

Dragline45

pax said:
Do some guys really just drop trou clear to their ankles in public toilets? Ewwwww.

Not to get off topic, but since you asked, since men's bathrooms are absolutely disgusting I line the floor where my pants will be dropped with several layers of toiler paper. Time consuming, but considering those same pants will be touching my couch at home where I sit down on it.

team101

Worse yet: A Local PD had an HK MP5 turned in by a passerby who found it cased in the roadway near the PD. An Officer had left it on the trunk of his car and drove away.

Status
Not open for further replies.