Griswold

MJN77

Not grumpy at all. Just giving truthful answers. Sorry if that hurt your feelings. I took your posts as good natured teasing. Apparently that's not how you took mine.

Last edited:

salvadore

I wouldn't be interested in .44 Navy, but before I mentioned it I would post a pic of a shot up refer so people would think I was a red neck instead of an elitist jerk.

Hawg

Nice. What year is it? You mentioned the tail on the Piettas, I know Uberti (GU) made the G&G also early on.
How is that one marked if I may ask?

CN 2015 Pietta but it doesn't have the Pietta tail on the grips like my navy does.

I wouldn't be interested in .44 Navy, but before I mentioned it I would post a pic of a shot up refer so people would think I was a red neck instead of an elitist jerk.

well I iz a redneck and an elitist jerk. :D I live in the country and yes I do have an old fridge that doesn't have enough holes in it to haul off yet so what's your point?

foolzrushn

This reminds me....

of the 'classic' car guys vs the 'custom' guys.

I too subscribe to 'different strokes', and here's a thought. Without all those detestable fantasy guns ( like mine ), the price for replicas would be high....or they would not even exist, because the economics would not support even one manufacturer, much less two.

Given that...I am glad for the fantasy guns, and would guess that they keep both Pietta and Uberti in business. I see it the other way around now MJN77, even though it all started as you say.

Hawg.....can you just open the fridge door and pick up your lead? You may have a leading edge, high tech recovery system. :)

Last edited:

MJN77

Given that...I am glad for the fantasy guns, and would guess that they keep both Pietta and Uberti in business. I see it the other way around now MJN77, even though it all started as you say.

You can say what you want. But if that's true, why is there such a small "fantasy" offering from any of these companies? Why are there only a few such fantasy pieces offered, instead of coming up with more/newer designs? On the other hand, why are the vast majority of the pieces offered by Pietta, Uberti and Pedersoli "historic" replicas? Why are these guns marketed to "cowboy" shooters and reenactors, most of whom care, at least a little, about historical accuracy? Some "cowboy" organizations don't even allow "fantasy" guns at their matches. Even the ads printed by these companies have a historical angle to them. If the "big money" was made from the "fantasy" pieces, you would see a lot more of them than the historical replicas. Think about it.

Hawg

Uberti no longer makes fantasy guns. ROA is a dead has been. Pietta is what keeps the fantasies alive. Deerslayer there is no SWMBO so I can put whatever I want to in the yard and shoot it up. :D

deerslayer303

I hear ya HAWG! [emoji3]

MJN, so one would need a historically accurate Reproduction, to participate in a fantasy live action Role Play match? Ok I gotcha [emoji2] LOL I'm just kidding man.

MJN77

MJN, so one would need a historically accurate Reproduction, to participate in a fantasy live action Role Play match? Ok I gotcha LOL I'm just kidding man.

A lot of the "cowboy" shooters I have seen are 50-60 (or more) years old, overweight, have never been near a real cow, unless you count hamburgers, and have hands that are softer than deerskin gloves. So FFS, the guns, at least have to be "authentic". :rolleyes:

Hawg

And a lot of them do shoot Blackhawks and ROA's but they're not allowed in most classes. I've done the CAS bit but I think I'd like NCOWS better but their matches are a long way from here.

MJN77

I think I'd like NCOWS better but their matches are a long way from here.

Same here. I have always been interested in the historical aspect of the replica BP guns, mainly because I grew up in northern Virginia (Chantilly, Fairfax co.)and was surrounded by civil war history. My school had field trips to civil war battle fields. I was surrounded by all of that history and I became obsessed with learning as much as I could. Naturally, I wanted to own and shoot some of the guns that I read about. Replicas being my only choice, that's what I went towards. I even reenacted for a couple of years. Never had much use for a "fantasy" gun although I owned one. I liked it too, but not nearly as much as the historic replicas.

Hawg

My family was originally from Va.(Henrico County) but that was a few hundred years ago. :D I have a brass Remington .36 that was given to me after all my other bp guns were stolen. Other than that they all have at least some historical connection. I'm not that way about anything after the turn of the century tho. I'll chop up a milsurp bolt action in a heartbeat. :D

MJN77

I'm not that way about anything after the turn of the century tho. I'll chop up a milsurp bolt action in a heartbeat.

Not me. Military rifles that were used on the battlefields of WW1 and WW2, to me, are as "special" as the ones used on the battlefields of the civil war. I mean, hell, WW1 started over a hundred years ago now, and they aren't making any more 1903 Springfields. That's my view.

Hawg

Not me. Military rifles that were used on the battlefields of WW1 and WW2, to me, are as "special" as the ones used on the battlefields of the civil war. I mean, hell, WW1 started over a hundred years ago now, and they aren't making any more 1903 Springfields. That's my view.

I used to like them when I was young. Dad always had a lot of guns around but he wasn't big on rifles. I bought my first Mauser out of a 55 gallon drum at Gibsons for 15 bucks and at the time sporting Mausers was in all the gun rags. That was my dream to sport one. By the time I could afford to it wasn't economical anymore but I did it anyway and sorta got hooked on it. Now I have five milsurps and all of them have been "butchered" to one degree or the other.