Griswold

Hawg

I can swap the barrel and cylinder from my G&G to my 51 navy and have a L&R or I can put the navy barrel on the G&G and have a S&G. :D:D:D

AKexpat

I can swap the barrel and cylinder from my G&G to my 51 navy and have a L&R or I can put the navy barrel on the G&G and have a S&G.

And you can add a brass squareback TG to the mix and create my fantasy favorite (among others):

An 1851 2nd Model Dragoon .36 cal.

That will happen in a week or so.

Since there is much documentation that a half octagon/half round barrel found its way onto a few 1850's/1860's era 1849 .31 cal Pocket Pistol, I am wondering why such a barrel configuration has not shown up (to my knowledge) for an 1851 Navy. Swayze does not mention one in his " '51 Navies" treatise.

Does anyone have any info/pics about such an original Colt possibility, with either small/large round or squareback TG?

Jim

AKexpat

I don't do fantasy pieces.

Grin. Please don't take the following as an assault or an insult.

If you don't do fantasy pieces, why do you dwell on replicas that aren't spec original Colt pistols? I'll wager that it is the best you can do with the money at hand. Originals are rare, big-buck items, usually in poor condition, and you probably would not shoot one without harming it or it coming apart in your hand. The repros are new/fairly new, pretty, and function well, and shootable.
I am in the same financial arena. To wit:

You are collecting Italian copies, with Italian proof marks, with improperly shaped backstraps/trigger guards, with Italian date codes, with various screws that enter from the wrong side, with screws that have dissimilar threads from the originals, with European wood vs. American walnut, with improper case colors (and lack of case-hardening), et al.

How is that not a fantasy pistol? I guess it depends on your definitions and where you draw the line.

To each, his/her own.

I know you like where your direction is, and I mine.

Regards,

Jim

Hawg

At least mine are close copies of guns that actually existed. It's the ones that never existed that I abhor. I have/had original guns that I have/do shoot.

Fingers McGee

AKexpat said:
I am wondering why such a barrel configuration has not shown up (to my knowledge) for an 1851 Navy. Swayze does not mention one in his " '51 Navies" treatise.

Oh, I don't know, probably because they didn't exist.

swathdiver

I noticed too Hawg that the latest Griswold's do not have serials on their barrel assembly, that was my mental hang up for creating a L&R! Now, it's just cash!

Many folks like their sixguns to be examples of what one would find for sale new back in the day. Others, like Tuco, liked to mix and match parts and come up with something custom, still historically correct, just not everyone's way.

Last edited:

Hawg

I noticed too Hawg that the latest Griswold's do not have serials on their barrel assembly, that was my mental hang up for creating a L&R! Now, it's just cash!

Pietta doesn't serial number barrels.

deerslayer303

I think it is awesome that there are companies that reproduce the classics that we love. But I don't denounce the fantasy guns, I have one that I absolutely adore, it is a beautiful piece. I can't really say it never existed because it does I'm looking at it in the glass right now!! :D And I also think it is awesome how the weapons designed 150+ years ago are still popular to this day. Just my .02 worth, maybe worth a little less. Ya'll take care and have a great Christmas and New Year! I will be dual wielding the NMA's come Midnight!!! :cool:

MJN77

If you don't do fantasy pieces, why do you dwell on replicas that aren't spec original Colt pistols?

A replica is just that. A replication of something that existed prior. Like a nineteenth century percussion revolver. A "fantasy" gun is a newly designed creation, like the .44 caliber "navies" that are so prevalent. There is a difference between the two.:rolleyes:

deerslayer303

So what would they call it in lieu of "Navy"? A 44 cal Open Top Colt Patern Revolver with Octagon Barrel? [emoji2] I mean really, you guys get all worked up over that Abomination hehe. I guess yall would have a stroke looking in my safe! Most of the folks buying these things haven't a clue like I did. But it drove me to look and read further and learn a little something something. Even now that I'm in the know, I still like the never was revolvers that the spaghetti westerners are putting out.

Hawg

Call it whatever you want to. The only thing navy about it is the octagonal barrel and loading lever. The frame grips and cylinder are all 1860 army. Shoot whatever you want to. Just be prepared to be corrected if you call it a navy. :D
I'm more traditional and want things that at least look like originals. No brass frame .44's, no .44 navies, no brass frame Remingtons, no short barrels or sheriffs models but that's just me. Heck shoot a ROA if that's what floats your goat. :D

jimemers

Nice. What year is it? You mentioned the tail on the Piettas, I know Uberti (GU) made the G&G also early on.
How is that one marked if I may ask?

MJN77

I mean really, you guys get all worked up over that Abomination hehe.

Who is worked up? The fact is that a replica is a replica of a historic firearm. It is as close as one can reasonably get to owning and shooting the guns of our history. That is what drives the replica firearm business. Considering there were only about 3500 real G&Gs made 150 plus years ago, and lord knows how many still exist, and the fact that a real one would cost thousands of dollars and wouldn't be something any sane person would shoot a lot if at all, a replica is the only way to enjoy these iconic firearms of the past. The history lovers are the reason companies like Pietta, Pedersoli and Uberti exist. To most other folks, these guns are novelties or range toys. That's why they may pick up a $150-$200 brass frame .44 "navy" to play with instead of a $250-$350 replica of an actual navy revolver that is almost a dead ringer of the original weapon. Pietta may have a few guns that are not historically correct in their catalog lineup, but the bulk of what they make are true replicas. You can laugh at and ridicule those of us that prefer historic replicas, but if not for us, no one would be making your fantasy guns for you. ;)

I guess yall would have a stroke looking in my safe

No, we wouldn't. We don't care what you or any one else chooses to shoot. We prefer historic replicas. You don't. Different strokes, for different folks. Even if we are the right thinking folks.:D

Last edited:

deerslayer303

MJN, Have another cup of coffee and maybe you won't be so Grumpy. No one is questioning Hawgs tastes. I always joke around with him hence the laughing face in the post. And if you read my post in its entirety you will see that it's
mostly just kidding around. Good day