Griswold

Hawg

I've always said the only brass frame revolver I would want is a Griswold & Gunnison. Well thanks to a member on another forum I now have a brand new one. It still had the packing grease on it when I took these.

It does make smoke tho. 15 grains of Swiss 2F because that's what I had in the flask with a .380 round ball topped with a dab of bore butter.

It's pretty accurate at 20 steps offhand. That's 12 shots, black spot is two inches wide.

Last edited:

Jim Watson

Note that Hawg's is a .36 which is authentic.

I have friends named Grier from S.E. Alabama/S.W. Georgia.
I am trying to get them interested in a family tree because at one time these were known as Griswold and Grier revolvers. Mr Grier was Mr Griswold's son-in-law and was the company lawyer. I know Mr Gunnison was the mechanic and his name belongs on the gun.

deerslayer303

Awesome looking Piece Hawg!! One of these days I'll have one. Does it shoot to POA or were you compensating? My 62 Sheriff (or that's what they call it) shoots a good 6 inches high. Groups em all there though.

Hawg

Is Pietta finally getting away from the flared grips or Pietta tail? Or is it just the G&G's? Anybody bought a new navy lately?

swathdiver

One of the finest shooting sixguns of all time! It's a family favorite at my house.

The newest ones have been retooled compared to our older one from the last decade, they have thinner barrels. Some like the new ones, I like the older one, they both shoot awesome. Natural pointers and surprisingly, shoot point of aim at 25 feet.

All of our Pietta .36 caliber sixguns have .369 chambers with .367 grooves, though the newest Griswold has not been checked yet.

Love the round dragoon barrel, and would like to add a Leech & Rigdon someday to our stable for small game shooting with Kaido Conicals.

deerslayer303

Hawg and Swathdiver, what diameter balls do ya'll use in in your Pietta 36's. I'm currently casting and shooting .375's just wondering if a .380 would shoot better.

swathdiver

Since the chambers in all of our Pietta .36s are .369, .375s are plenty and easier on the loading levers.

Our ASM however, has .374 chambers and gets the .380s, as do any Uberti or original Colts.