Glock's new 22

I picked up two 44's when they first came out, and so far, between the two, Ive got 3500 rounds through them, and a total of three stoppages, two of which were squib type malfunctions with some old Winchester Super X. The one other unexplained stoppage was a CCI Blazer and if failed to eject.

Considering that they are .22's, Id say thats a pretty good record.

Both guns have been accurate and fun to shoot. I swapped out the factory sights with three dot night sights, as those are what I prefer. Factory Glock 9mm sights and Meprolight 9mm sights seem to be right on and work well.

Mag wise, I have 11 mags now, and havent had any of the issues some seem to be having.

At first, I did see some rounds sitting more level than pointed up at an angle, but it didnt seem to be an issue with feeding, and as I shot the mags more, I havent seen that since either. Maybe some mags springs just need to seat a little with use. Who knows. I load them just like I do any of the other 22 mags Ive owned too.

98% of the time, I put the mag in the gun with the slide locked back, and use the slide stop to release it.

Most of what Ive been shooting in mine, have been CCI standard velocity 40 grain Blazers. I tried a few other makes and types when I got the first gun, and other than those couple of issues above the Winchesters, which are over 25 years old now, the others worked fine.

Historically for me with 22's, you find what the gun likes and try to stick with it. I know Glock made a lot of claims about feeding everything, but I think the reality is, find what the gun likes and stick with it. Blazers arent the cheapest, and they aren't expensive either, about $185 a 5000 round case shipped from Target Sports.

Ive been over on GT with all the drama there about them, and while its toned down a good bit now, its still kind of going on.

What seemed to be dwelled on, and more so by those who dont have one of the guns and havent shot one, were those couple of videos and articles and a lot of regurgitated repetition.

Overall, the majority of people posting there that have them, seem to be happy with them and not having the issues that seems to be being pushed in the videos.

I asked MAC why he didnt just didnt send the gun back and let Glock take a look at it and fix it if something is actually wrong, and he said he keeps what he tests as proof, in case he needs them as evidence. Whatever. If thats the case, and he wasnt going to allow Glock to make it right, he should have tested a second gun just to at least show if it was a fluke or a trend or he just got a bad example with the first. Which happens with any of them. I dont see much sense or proof in doing the same thing over and over with the same gun, if its not working properly.

Im not sure why he was having so much trouble with his mags either. They seem pretty straight forward unless youre doing something wrong in loading them.

Ive owned a lot of other makes of 22's over the years, and some of them were pretty expensive, some not, and the one thing that seemed to be common with all of them was, they had a certain ammo they liked, and they liked to be kept clean. Im not seeing anything different here with the Glocks either.

All in all, Im happy with mine, and glad I got them.
Yes thanks for a good review and common sense.

The internet seems to have turned into this constant parrot type of bashing. The days of good honest reviews seem to be going by the wayside

AK103K

The internet seems to have turned into this constant parrot type of bashing. The days of good honest reviews seem to be going by the wayside
Drama does seem to be the thing these days.

Someone on another board pointed out, and something I really hadn't really considered, as Im not really a YouTuber, that a number of the guys who have channels on YouTube are making money off them, and the clickbait is $$$. So the drama is good, and the more of it, the better. Kind of sounds familiar, and not just here with guns, eh? :)

From personal experience over the years, the only way to really know if something youre interested in is for you, is to buy it and find out. Ive had guns that were supposed to be great, that I had nothing but trouble with, and guns that were supposed to be total trash, and mine worked great.

Do your homework the best you can, and make a decision. Its not going to be the end of the world if it doesnt pan out, and you might be missing something great, just because someone else dislikes something and seems to have an agenda.

Buy enough guns, and sooner or later, its going to be your turn in the barrel. Thats just a fact of life.

You pays your money and takes your chances. :)

Jim Watson

A friend is taking one back to see if the dealer will help him get it fixed.
Persistent light strike misfires with his usual Federals.

ETA Dealer says magazine follower causing drag on slide, causing failure to breech up fully. Glock working on fix.

Last edited:

Fishbed77

From everything I've been reading thus far, these things are selling well, and operating flawlessly.

Selling well... I',m sure. Operating flawlessly... well that's the exact opposite of what all internet reviews (MAC, Plinkster22, etc.) I've seen are saying.

AK103K

Selling well... I',m sure. Operating flawlessly... well that's the exact opposite of what all internet reviews (MAC, Plinkster22, etc.) I've seen are saying.
Those are the same two main reviews that keep getting posted and pushed by those who seem to want to push the negative and want to pound on them.

Ill ask the same thing here I ask those who keep saying the guns are a problem.... hows your gun running and what problems are you having? The usual answer is "crickets". ;)

Go read the reviews at various sites where people who have them are posting, and I think youll see that the "majority" of those posts are positive in nature.

And on that note, my son and I just got back from shooting both of mine this afternoon, 500 more rounds, 250 each gun, and they were all "flawless". And a lot of fun as well. :)

9x19

Mine has been problem free, four magazines, five different types of ammunition:

Federal bulk (WalMart)
Federal Spitfire (truncated cone bullet, from the 90s)
CCI Mini Mag
Win 555 (bulk from this decade)
CCI Stinger

kcqdbAN.jpg

AK103K

The OP (me) didn't say anything about limited magazine capacity.
But- since you mentioned it, Keltec has a new .22lr pistol with 33 round capacity, and a smaller model with 17 round capacity.
Do they work?

Im always leary of Kel Tecs stuff. They have some interesting ideas but they always seem to come up short in the execution. Ive had a few of their guns over the years, and at this point, dont bother any more.

From the sounds of it, Taurus seems to have got 15 their rounders to work. Now all they have to do is to somehow get some sort of a rep back on their guns and they might have something.

I know some people are making the mag capacity a big deal with the Glocks, but the majority of 22 autos out there have 10 round mags, so what that big deal is, Im not sure.

Maybe Pro Mag can come up with something more high cap for those who need it. :)

Areoflyer09

Do they work?

Im always leary of Kel Tecs stuff. They have some interesting ideas but they always seem to come up short in the execution. Ive had a few of their guns over the years, and at this point, dont bother any more.

From the sounds of it, Taurus seems to have got 15 their rounders to work. Now all they have to do is to somehow get some sort of a rep back on their guns and they might have something.

I know some people are making the mag capacity a big deal with the Glocks, but the majority of 22 autos out there have 10 round mags, so what that big deal is, Im not sure.

Maybe Pro Mag can come up with something more high cap for those who need it. :)
Dunno about the P17, but then CP33 is very susceptible to rimlock if the mags aren’t loaded exactly right.

Fishbed77

Those are the same two main reviews that keep getting posted and pushed by those who seem to want to push the negative and want to pound on them.

A quick Youtube search will show many more videos of issues from at least semi-respectable reviewers.

I agree that the internet skews negative whenever possible, but even anecdotal evidence can add up.

I'm not willing to write off the 44 yet, but I'm going to wait for more evidence that these early issues are resolved (and for 15-round magazines and an affordable 1/2x28 threaded barrel option) before I spend any money on one.

I was watching a Youtube video of Hickcock45 review a firearm. You could see his irritation when he said and a I will paraphrase. 'This gun has not had any failures, this one I have in my hand. I know how the internet has bcome, there will always be the Bashers that will say all kinds of things. But this gun has not blown up in my hand, and has been reliable, this gun, the one I have in my hand'! He went on to say that he does not get on any forums.

I would say all three of the new 22's Glock, Keltec and and the Taurus are all getting slammed by the usual bashers. One guy has a failure and then 1,000 posters will parrot and start to bash. It is the new thing now on the internet.

Personally if I were in the market for one, I would try out all three, not worry about the Intenet and make my own decisions. I would also bet the odds of getting a bad one of either brand about 1%. And that 1% will turn into 90% from the internet.

Take 10,000 guns sold, and one poster post that he had a problem, then this in turn lights up all the 1 Percenters who had a problem, who then jump on the burning dog.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

I think saying the issues are only present in 1% of firearms is as much of an exaggeration as saying the issues are widespread, perhaps more so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TunnelRat

For someone whose occupation is math based, the difference between 1% and 10% is pretty dramatic, especially when we’re talking products sold in the thousands. My point is exaggeration exists on both sides.

You are right. take back the 10%. Much too high. Will stick with 1%. And these would be legitimate issues. Actually saw a study on one manufacture that well respected writer went to the manufactuer and look at the satistics of the return. Of the gun returned, most had no problems and the ones that were represented .6%

TunnelRat

So he went and looked at a company’s records of their own returns? Seems like something that a company might be incentivized to lie about or skew the results.

Yep, and the writer is very respected in the Gun World and from him he said that the person he visited was a very old friend whom he trusted. Maybe they both are liars. I don't believe they are but you are free to choose what you believe.

AK103K

I think the one thing thats often left out of all of this is the lowest common denominator. The operator.

How many guns are declared junk and dont (appear to) work, simply because the person using it, wont even open the manual and follow the manufacturer's directions/suggestions?

How many just dont know how to shoot properly?

Ive made out because of both.

I had both the SIG Mosquito and the Walther P22's when they first came out, and was amazed at all the bad press they got, and all the troubles so many seemed to be having, yet mine both seemed to work very well.

That is, as long as I used the recommended ammo, and/or ammo they liked, and in the one guns case, the proper (supplied) spring for the ammo being used.

When I asked a couple of people that were having trouble if they were using the right spring for the ammo, as the manual stated, the answer was. "what spring?". That was all explained in the manual. Guess they missed it. :)

I bought a month old Glock 17 from my local dealer, who had sold it earlier in the month to a boy, who brought it right back in complaining of brass to the face. The gun went back to Glock, and they were nice enough to rebuild the whole slide. The parts list of replaced parts was in the box when I bought it.

He took it out when it came back, shot it, and brought it right back complaining of the same exact thing. Brass to the face. He traded it in on something else.

I got it for around $400. Basically a brand new gun. I have over a thousand rounds through the gun at this point, and have yet to have one piece of brass come anywhere near my head. Im betting there was nothing wrong with the gun in the first place. Im sure hes probably going around telling everyone who will listen, the guns are junk. ;)

I just hope he buys more. I like getting deals. :D

TunnelRat

Yep, and the writer is very respected in the Gun World and from him he said that the person he visited was a very old friend whom he trusted. Maybe they both are liars. I don't believe they are but you are free to choose what you believe.

When it comes to self reporting from companies I tend to be skeptical, based on history and my own experience. I don’t see that as calling people liars, as to me it’s not personal. It has nothing really to do with who the writer was/is or who the employee was/is. It’s just my standard practice.

Does this person have a name, or is it a secret? I don’t doubt your story at all, it just seems weird that we just don’t use the name directly.

Last edited: