Glock's new 22

Areoflyer09

It’s polymer with a steel skeleton.

So it’s not something been discussed here that I’ve seen, but any thoughts on the couple of 44s that have had some issues? One cracked slide and some extractors.

I’m not sure there is enough data to call it a widespread problem, but I’m curious what others think of it.

Areoflyer09

Edit: I am not trying to cause alarm and I do not currently believe the 44 has a bad design. I think there have been a couple of issues, but lack the information to make definitive call that something is wrong.

The fact it hasn’t shown up here or one of the other general fire arms forums I visit is what’s leading me towards anomalies and not widespread issues. Seemed odd that some commenters are carrying on about the quantity of issues, but it’s also staying weirdly quiet.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/g44-kaboom.1807408/

That first post is the one that I saw first, not sure if arfcom was where the original post was made or not. I have seen that picture several places now though. MAC posted about one with an ejector issue and 22Plinkster shared a video of one having a round go off out of battery.

22Plinkster’s video with the 36gr issue is odd. Some have had an issue with that grain and some haven’t. His seems to be particularly picky about it though.

Spats McGee

Administrator
....So it’s not something been discussed here that I’ve seen, but any thoughts on the couple of 44s that have had some issues? One cracked slide and some extractors....
That's kind of a bummer. Not that I'm in the market for a G44, but I always hate to see a new model go through these 'birthing pains.'

bill460

From everything I've been reading thus far, these things are selling well, and operating flawlessly. Then again, that's what we've come to expect from Glock over the last 30+ years.

USNRet93

Watched a video where it chokes on 36 grain ammo, but 40 grain runs fine.
Worked ok with 32grain, higher speed ammo. In that video.

My 1022, regardless of inter-web 'fixes' only works well with CCI mini-mag..the 'gut' design needed for a 22 semi auto is different than with bigger, more powerful, rounds. BUT by in large, the 44 works great. BUT it's a Glock so I'm sure some sort of company conspiracy...

Areoflyer09

That's kind of a bummer. Not that I'm in the market for a G44, but I always hate to see a new model go through these 'birthing pains.'
They all still feel like anomalies to me, rather than a trend. I would expect if there was a catastrophic issue we would seeing a lot more of them broken and fewer positive reviews.

Jeff22

Back about 1982 or so I started accumulating .22 conversion units or .22 cal equivalents of my various guns to allow me to practice for cheap. My normal practice has been to shoot about 1000 rounds a month of .22 indoors in the winter.
In January I bought the first Glock 44 I ever saw. I already have a Ciener conversion unit on a G19 frame and an Advantage Arms conversion on a G22 frame.
I've been REALLY impressed with the Glock 44 so far. I have tested it with the following ammunition types:
200 rnds CCI Mini Mags. (40 grn at 1235 fps)
300 rnds CCI AR Tactical. (40 grn at 1200 fps)
200 rnds Winchester M-22 (40 grn at 1255 fps)
200 rnds Winchester Super Speed (40 grn @ 1300 fps)
200 rnds Federal Black (38 grn at 1260 fps)
200 rnds Browning Performance Rimfire (BPR) (40 grn at 1435 fps)
200 rns Armscore High Velocity (36 grn at 1260 fps)
200 rns Augila Super Extra High Velocity ((40 grn at 1255 fps)
That's 1,700 rounds in five weeks.
I cleaned and lubed the gun after each trip to the range.
I had NO (0) malfunctions.
Most of the shooting I did was accuracy drills on NRA B-24 or B-34 or B-29 or TQ-20 targets at 30 and 50 feet. I also shot on some Warren Tactical WTS-8 targets at different distances.
Both of my other Glock conversions and the SIG factory .22 conversions require hot ammo with plated bullets to run reliably. I've usually used CCI Mini-Mags for that application, and still experienced occasional malfunctions caused by the slide not going fully into battery.
So far I've been really impressed with the G44. The trigger feels like a stock Glock trigger.

USNRet93

Back about 1982 or so I started accumulating .22 conversion units or .22 cal equivalents of my various guns to allow me to practice for cheap. My normal practice has been to shoot about 1000 rounds a month of .22 indoors in the winter.
In January I bought the first Glock 44 I ever saw. I already have a Ciener conversion unit on a G19 frame and an Advantage Arms conversion on a G22 frame.
I've been REALLY impressed with the Glock 44 so far. I have tested it with the following ammunition types:
200 rnds CCI Mini Mags. (40 grn at 1235 fps)
300 rnds CCI AR Tactical. (40 grn at 1200 fps)
200 rnds Winchester M-22 (40 grn at 1255 fps)
200 rnds Winchester Super Speed (40 grn @ 1300 fps)
200 rnds Federal Black (38 grn at 1260 fps)
200 rnds Browning Performance Rimfire (BPR) (40 grn at 1435 fps)
200 rns Armscore High Velocity (36 grn at 1260 fps)
200 rns Augila Super Extra High Velocity ((40 grn at 1255 fps)
That's 1,700 rounds in five weeks.
I cleaned and lubed the gun after each trip to the range.
I had NO (0) malfunctions.
Most of the shooting I did was accuracy drills on NRA B-24 or B-34 or B-29 or TQ-20 targets at 30 and 50 feet. I also shot on some Warren Tactical WTS-8 targets at different distances.
Both of my other Glock conversions and the SIG factory .22 conversions require hot ammo with plated bullets to run reliably. I've usually used CCI Mini-Mags for that application, and still experienced occasional malfunctions caused by the slide not going fully into battery.
So far I've been really impressed with the G44. The trigger feels like a stock Glock trigger.
Copy to the MAC channel. It's interesting that when the MAC guy had SIG malfunctions(2 or the 5 he owned plus a faulty 365SAS), he mentioned that they went back to the factory and they 'took care of them'. After his not so complimentary review of G44, he tested the same gun again, w/o contacting Glock..to emphasize his displeasure with Glocks in general and the Glock 44 specifically. What a surprise....

Glad you had good luck with the G44, you aren't alone..

TunnelRat

Copy to the MAC channel. It's interesting that when the MAC guy had SIG malfunctions(2 or the 5 he owned plus a faulty 365SAS), he mentioned that they went back to the factory and they 'took care of them'. After his not so complimentary review of G44, he tested the same gun again, w/o contacting Glock..to emphasize his displeasure with Glocks in general and the Glock 44 specifically. What a surprise....

Glad you had good luck with the G44, you aren't alone..

MAC isn’t the only channel on YouTube that has had issues with the 44.

I love the reactions to YouTube videos. If it’s positive obviously the person is a paid shill. If it’s negative obviously the person just hates brand X. I’ve owned numerous pistols where I had terrible luck despite most people being fine, including a Gen 4 Glock 19. Not every experience is the same. This is why samples of one are mostly pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SGW Gunsmith

I think its pretty comical, all the bitching and complaints, and no one has even seen or shot one yet.

They must REALLY have the haters scared! :D
Outstanding! A .22 Long Rifle round is not an easy one to design a magazine around, mainly due to the rim diameter prevailing how the rounds ride in a magazine.
I have and shoot a "passel" of Ruger Mark pistols and their single stack magazines, 10 rounders at best.
How about those that complain about Glocks Model 44 offering magazine capacity, especially the OP, design and devise a 30 to 60 round version. Don't whine about it, FIX IT!
vEKy2DZl.jpg

Areoflyer09

I’ll admit I watched the initial problems that arose with some concern and gave it some time to see if they continued. I’ve watch the threads over on glocktalk and arfcom, I’m not seeing an exponential increase of issues. There are some problems, but it’s hard to tell what is an issue with the firearm, what is user induced and what was just a fluke.

All of that said, I bought a 44 on Saturday. Sunday I ran 898 rounds through it. I had 8 or 9 failures that were feeding it ejecting. I tested 19 brands of ammo, not huge quantities of most of it. Most of my failures arose from Norma Subsonics, 950fps is just below the point of reliability. CCI Suppressor at 970fps tan without issues.

AK103K

I picked up two 44's when they first came out, and so far, between the two, Ive got 3500 rounds through them, and a total of three stoppages, two of which were squib type malfunctions with some old Winchester Super X. The one other unexplained stoppage was a CCI Blazer and if failed to eject.

Considering that they are .22's, Id say thats a pretty good record.

Both guns have been accurate and fun to shoot. I swapped out the factory sights with three dot night sights, as those are what I prefer. Factory Glock 9mm sights and Meprolight 9mm sights seem to be right on and work well.

Mag wise, I have 11 mags now, and havent had any of the issues some seem to be having.

At first, I did see some rounds sitting more level than pointed up at an angle, but it didnt seem to be an issue with feeding, and as I shot the mags more, I havent seen that since either. Maybe some mags springs just need to seat a little with use. Who knows. I load them just like I do any of the other 22 mags Ive owned too.

98% of the time, I put the mag in the gun with the slide locked back, and use the slide stop to release it.

Most of what Ive been shooting in mine, have been CCI standard velocity 40 grain Blazers. I tried a few other makes and types when I got the first gun, and other than those couple of issues above the Winchesters, which are over 25 years old now, the others worked fine.

Historically for me with 22's, you find what the gun likes and try to stick with it. I know Glock made a lot of claims about feeding everything, but I think the reality is, find what the gun likes and stick with it. Blazers arent the cheapest, and they aren't expensive either, about $185 a 5000 round case shipped from Target Sports.

Ive been over on GT with all the drama there about them, and while its toned down a good bit now, its still kind of going on.

What seemed to be dwelled on, and more so by those who dont have one of the guns and havent shot one, were those couple of videos and articles and a lot of regurgitated repetition.

Overall, the majority of people posting there that have them, seem to be happy with them and not having the issues that seems to be being pushed in the videos.

I asked MAC why he didnt just didnt send the gun back and let Glock take a look at it and fix it if something is actually wrong, and he said he keeps what he tests as proof, in case he needs them as evidence. Whatever. If thats the case, and he wasnt going to allow Glock to make it right, he should have tested a second gun just to at least show if it was a fluke or a trend or he just got a bad example with the first. Which happens with any of them. I dont see much sense or proof in doing the same thing over and over with the same gun, if its not working properly.

Im not sure why he was having so much trouble with his mags either. They seem pretty straight forward unless youre doing something wrong in loading them.

Ive owned a lot of other makes of 22's over the years, and some of them were pretty expensive, some not, and the one thing that seemed to be common with all of them was, they had a certain ammo they liked, and they liked to be kept clean. Im not seeing anything different here with the Glocks either.

All in all, Im happy with mine, and glad I got them.