Glock Accidental Discharges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreyzhorse

The trigger only safety causes lots of accidents.

If you really believe this, you need to have some additional safety training.

Sloppy gun handling causes negligent discharges. No safety can prevent that.

Powderman

I carry a 1911 daily.
I also carry and love my G22 2nd Generation Glock.

Both are fine pistols.

And, if the shooter keeps in mind these three simple rules:

1. All guns are ALWAYS loaded.
2. ALWAYS keep your finger OFF THE TRIGGER until ready to shoot.
3. ALWAYS point the gun in a safe direction

You won't have to worry about accidental discharges, because THEY WON'T HAPPEN.

You cannot say that a properly working gun of ANY kind is safe or unsafe. It's a machine. It has no mind of its own; it is designed to make loud noises when the trigger is pulled.

And--if you put your finger on the trigger and apply pressure, guess what? There will be loud noises, and something gets a hole in it, REALLY fast.

Thus, here is the truth. It matters not if you dislike ANY specific type of firearm, or love them all in some way or another:

Keep your finger AWAY from the trigger, and the gun will NOT discharge.

Simple. Elegant. To the point.

Don't touch the trigger, and the gun won't shoot.

End of story.

Beemaster

New Guy Again from NJ - Still no Fire-Arms ID, it's been 6 months 3 weeks today! But I got to chime in with a question, I know some of your answers, but from a Prospective GLOCK OWNER, wouldn't training myself to keep the chamber empty and whenever needed (EACH AND EVERY TIME PRACTICED UNTIL SECOND NATURE) when the gun is drawn, I rack the slide, keeping the gun just a well trained racking away, bringing me into the safety feature of the gun?

I know this slows down responce time, I have shot many guns, mostly Glocks and know there is never a reason to have a finger in the trigger guard except to shoot. But isn't it better (lets say my wife) to know that if she grabs the gun from the nightstand, nothing can possibly happen until she racks it. Giving her time to let muscle memory kick in to when her fingers should be , but importantly, remove lag time from babying the gun in fear of it firing off by rookie handling.

I guess I mean, if we train in the manner where the gun must be in your hand to rack a round and have your finger outside the trigger guard (if time allows) and do this over grabbing at it and fearing it to go off like a jack-in-the-box if we reach for it in our sleep.

Our use will be for RANGE PRACTICE TOO, but primarily for home protection, I want my wife and myself to be ready to put that Glock to work in a fast fashion that also gives us confidence and control.

Lastly, I want to order tipton snap caps (spring-loaded red ones with a primer strike plate - $17 for $5) in the gun during home drills - if we assume nothing to happen when racking the slide and a snapcap pops out, that will be some reinforced checks we can make.

AWESOME TOPIC - I see a Glock 19 (how original) and maybe a Sig Mosquito - I want that weight and size in that .22 and I still hope to get the M11-A1 varient on the P228/229 and the inexpensive Mosquito can keep me at the range much more affordably.

Wreck-n-Crew

wouldn't training myself to keep the chamber empty and whenever needed (EACH AND EVERY TIME PRACTICED UNTIL SECOND NATURE) when the gun is drawn, I rack the slide, keeping the gun just a well trained racking away, bringing me into the safety feature of the gun?
No. Watch these and see why.....http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...n=2,ui=tl..0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.sxreEnTdDGM

Things happen very quickly. Racking the slide might take away one or two critical shots needed to save your life. Better off practicing with the weapon unloaded. Drawing and firing. Just remember to keep that trigger finger straight when drawing and should never touch the trigger until the target is acquired.

Pond James Pond

Ah, I had thought Jeff was making a joke about the Glock hammer forward thing. I laughed.

I still think he was. I also laughed.

He seemed to be "parodying" of those TV complaint excerpts.
After all "accidental dry-fires" are the stuff of nightmares, I think all will agree.

chrisintexas

The New York Police Dept requires the department's Glocks to have the "New York trigger" modification that gets the trigger pull weight right up into the range of the double action pistol. There is a reason for this...
from where can you get NY style trigger work done on glock?

Nathan

At an LGS recently I saw someone buying an Uncle Mike's/Blackhawk soft IWB holster for their new Block 19. It doesn't take much imagination to see the soft holster bunching up when one tries to holster the weapon and pressing up against the trigger, resulting in an ND.

Gun owners are so non-litigious! That holster should have been off the market years ago! Frankly, it is sold everywhere. Often times it is the only choice I see at the LGS!

The reason for the NY triggers is NY has either compromised or has no idea how to investigate and determine actual cause.

Pond James Pond

The New York Police Dept requires....

Is this the same NY that has implemented a whole stack of really well-thought out gun restrictions?

Not being sarcastic, but it is simply that NY does not always seem to treat gun issues as rationally as other places, and so perhaps they are just being excessively cautious...that's all....

dayman

Mas Ayoob favors the NY1 trigger.
And I know a lot or people like it paired with a 3.5lb dis-connector. It makes for a more revolver like trigger.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the stock trigger, though I do agree that I like the grip safety on my XDs for re-holstering.
Fortunately, there aren't too many situations where you have to re-holster quickly, so I always just take the extra 1-2seconds to make sure nothings going to bind up on the trigger.

I definitely understand that some people don't care for Glocks, but it seems that a lot of the complaints about them being dangerous just boil down to people complaining that they have to be attentive when carrying a chambered firearm.

militant

Guns don't shoot themselves. Instead of blaming the firearm, blame the shooter and or training. A safety can fail. This is all basic info. Attacking a particular fitearm because some idiot used it wrong is ignorance. If you need a safety to keep you from shooting yourself of others, maybe you shouldn't be handling a firearm.

Wreck-n-Crew

That holster should have been off the market years ago!
They are awesome and not dangerous, people are dangerous. I love them and have three.;)

Just ran across this while checking on the news.....
According to the media you can accidentally shoot someone with a Glock........http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/man-accidentally-shoots-kills-girlfriend-during-hu/nbFdm/....IT's true, they can't put anything on the internet or the news that isn't true!.:D

PS they had the picture of a Glock, so it had to be a Glock or they couldn't use a picture of it!:rolleyes:

Nathan

Sorry for no link, but there is a known incident of a kid pulling the trigger on a holstered safety less pistol. Holster was Safariland and gun was Glock or M&P.

These are both well respected brands and I would bet money the officer had no choice about either. The holster issues cause is holster must be wide through the trigger guard for the rail mounted light...

OOPS!

A 1911, grip safety or usable thumb safety on these pull and shoots actions would have fixed this. S&W and SA XD have these options...

44 AMP

Staff
There are a couple of different uses common to the GLock (and all similar pistols), and they are personal, and professional.

A gun for your personal use can be what you like, and can be used and carried the way you like, and are comfortable with.

A gun for professional use often cannot. Generally (and in particular with large depts.) it is what the dept issues/authorizes, only. Holsters too, sometimes. What is fine for the private citizen's personal protection is not always the best thing for police, and vice versa.

And so the NY trigger. Having more people under arms in NYC depts. than the total population of many small towns, NYC saw they had a problem, and choose the heavier trigger as the best solution, for them.

I can easily understand Mas Ayoob favoring the NY trigger, for police. I've also read his opinion favoring the DA auto pistol over the 1911 style, for police use. And, as far as I know, he's fine with the SA auto for military and civilian use.

His reasoning is simple, and elegant IMHO. Police officers often have to hold suspects at gun point. Anything that increases the risk of an AD/ND when holding someone at gunpoint is a poor idea. The usual short light crisp trigger pull of an SA auto (and I'm including GLocks, etc) makes the gun both easier to shoot well, and more likely to have an inadvertent discharge under stress. When A soldier points a gun, the general assumption is that they are the enemy and one shoots them. Police are in a much different situation.

Any individual may be fine with the SA trigger, given competent training and a level of personal dedication to safety. However, when you look at large groups of individuals (and NYC has literally thousands of people armed), you ARE going to have some people who are not as safe as they ought to be.

NYC decided that what was best for them (probably on the basis of cost) was everyone having the heavier triggers in their guns. Quite probably cheaper and actually more effective in reducing the risks than any training program could be.

This doesn't mean its the best solution for you, or I. Only that they thought it was best for them as a dept. I see a big difference there.

It is not bashing GLock (or similar) stating the obvious facts about the way they work. Its not bashing to say that in some situations they will fire when a different pistol would not have. Its a fact, and its true. And it does not make the design unsafe, or inferior, when used correctly.

A different pistol not going off in a given circumstance is a plus for that pistol, only. Not a minus for the GLock pattern guns.

I will repeat that I don't like GLocks. I have also shot some S&W and other guns similar to the GLock, and while I like them a little better than the glock models I'm not in love with any of them, either.

I'm ok with the concepts, I just don't like GLock's execution of it, that's all.

Good? ok. Great? for some people. Perfection? not in my opinion.

rickyrick

Yes something pushing the trigger is the culprit....

I think the op intended to mean "Glock Style" pistols ... There is a term "Glock leg" but something pushed the trigger, bottom line.

I must add.... All you guys with BOLD LETTERED names have alot of posts lol, you really must know alot....
Sorry about that, I couldn't resist ;)

At the range, during matches, and even during carry, I've never seen or heard of a Glock going off when not intended. I've had the 17L, two model 34's, a model 22 and a model 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.