Glock Accidental Discharges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

serf 'rett

The trigger only safety causes lots of accidents.

I strongly suspect the trigger only safety hasn't caused any accidents. If those trigger only safeties were causing accidents, I'd only visit gun stores which did not sell Glocks. You'd never know when those trigger things might just start shooting off on their own. :eek:

I have left the range/area when there are idiots with plastic fantastics (or any other sort of firearm being handled by said idiots).

I was getting all geared up for a good old Glock bashing party and then some spoil sport took a shot at my Kahr and brace of XDms; which are far more beautiful than the Block, but still are members of my favorite category of pistol - "point-pull trigger-look for hole down range".

Crankgrinder

When I was young(er), the teaching was if something happened as a result of ones actions he was expected to own up to it and be a man. Now more and more the teaching seems to be that no matter what one should find fault somewhere else first. I don't know when this all changed but if an AD is had glock or 1911 or what chances are its because of the person holding it when it happens. A cop shoots himself in the leg people say "glocks are unsafe. see?" a chl holder puts one in his holster BANG "glocks are unsafe". Even when the holder admits to their mistake the media does not. What happened to telling the truth?

Jo6pak

^^^^Absolutely the truth.

It seems that this thread is just a poorly veiled attempt to bash Glocks anyway.

As I said before I am not a Glock person. Glocks are some of the best handguns made...period. They are just as safe as any handgun. Me personally, I would rather have a Glock with one in the chamber and the stock Glock trigger than a 1911 chambered with the safety and a hammer cocked. I pick a sig only because I have great luck with them and I like hammer guns. Please know I am not knocking a 1911, I own and love 1911's. I prefer to start new shooters ion a small caliber .22 revolver or .22 semi auto. That being said after proper training, I would have no problem seeing a Glock in a shooters hands. They are like any other firearm, training and practice making the firearm safe for the shooter.

I would rather put a Glock in my wife's hands than most others made. They are reliable and honestly one of the best handguns made.

RBid

Heck, yeah, OP! I'm right there with you! All of these Glock loving idiots keep forgetting the rule:

Always rely on mechanical devices!

aroundchicago

It's quite simple. Always use a holster while packing. Don't pull the trigger and it won't go bang all by itself. Sorry but you can't fix stupid.

Jeffm004

I do not like the plastic box the Glock comes in. The pistol will not fit unless the hammer is forward on the pistol. Fussing with it for the first time, pushing it in the box, I got an unintended dry fire. I was surprised. I didn't like being surprised.

Babychief

Jeff

Lmao..that was hilarious.

Glocks dont discharge by themselves, N.D. Are caused by the operators mishandling/manipulation of the Glock.
same scenario with serpa lock holsters not being allowed in come competitons,its "Not the Arrow,its the indian"..

Same people that rest their thumb on slide catch while firing and say the magazines are the reason why slide wont stay back on an empty mag and magically ends up in battery.

Do we have 1 video of a Glock discharging by itself?...the youtube vid of the L.E.O. In the classroom?? Lmao...he was a trained professional and that Glock magically didnt safety check itself,went into battery and the striker hit primer all by accident...

whip1

Glock bashing, and HKguns hasn't jumped in yet........

Why are Glocks or similar guns more dangerous than a revolver? Revolvers don't have the trigger safety. Are they more prone to negligent discharges?

wpsdlrg

I don't like Glocks and I never have.

However, I'm afraid I DO have to side with those who insist that the operator is the determining factor. Ultimately, the OPERATOR is the final and most important safety feature, on any gun type. AD's and ND's can be prevented - simply by proper handling. That is the responsibility of the USER. The gun itself NEVER decides when (and at what) the bullet will be launched.

Babychief

Problem solved

Problem solved ...end of thread.

LMAO::D

7296a37d16e4fe6fa5b822522531606b.jpg

iraiam

I didn't read the whole thread, but 2 things struck me right off the bat.

1) it would not be an accidental discharge, but a NEGLIGENT discharge, an accident is when you stub your toe, not when you negligently discharge a firearm.

2) There are numerous other pistols that have no dedicated safety devices either, why did the OP choose Glock to pick on? Not to mention revolvers, which just have a T-bar (making it drop safe)

JohnKSa

Administrator
I do not like the plastic box the Glock comes in. The pistol will not fit unless the hammer is forward on the pistol.
1. They haven't come in those boxes for many years.

2. If you can't get a Glock into the box without the hammer forward, you're never going to get it into the box since there's no hammer to move forward.

3. I have a couple of the old-style boxes and they came plastered with bright yellow stickers with red lettering warning the user (among other things) NOT to put the gun in the box with the trigger forward because it might be loaded if the trigger is forward.
I got an unintended dry fire. I was surprised. I didn't like being surprised.
People who don't like surprises should get in the habit of reading instructions and abiding by them.

Zorro, there is a solution, the Ruger SR poly series pistols. Similar in principle but with a better trigger and a manual safety to eliminate holster discharge and will not allow the slide to go out of battery. Anyone that likes the 1911 should adapt easily to the SR9/40/45 as it carries in much the same way, or the shooter can choose not to use the manual safety and have the same manual of arms as the Glock. Personally, I like having the manual safety and it's engaged when I holster and released upon presentation. ;)

Bart Noir

Jeff, JohnKSa does know a great deal and you would be well advised to pay attention when he shares that knowledge.

Please notice that the above sentence reeks of sincerity and contains no sarcasm. In 'udder' words, I mean it.

Another member posted
Why are Glocks or similar guns more dangerous than a revolver? Revolvers don't have the trigger safety. Are they more prone to negligent discharges?

The answer is that the revolvers have both a noticeably long trigger pull (double action in this discussion) and a trigger pull weight usually measuring at least twice the Glock 4.5 pound typical weight. In this discussion "weight" is the same as the force needed to pull the trigger.

The Glock has a similar trigger movement but less than half the pull weight of the revolver.

The New York Police Dept requires the department's Glocks to have the "New York trigger" modification that gets the trigger pull weight right up into the range of the double action pistol. There is a reason for this...:cool:

And let me be the first to mention that S&W makes a version of the M&P pistol with a manual 1911-like thumb safety. I like that idea, but wish the trigger on those was as nice as I have on my Glocks.

Bart Noir
Who was very disturbed to discover his Galco holster was switching off the safety on his Colt 1911.

Bart Noir

About the holster, the XD and the thumb

For reholstering, I like the grip safety of the Springfield XD series of pistols.

I can't bend around enough to really see the IWB holster at my 4-oclock position. I reholster by feel.

First I very lightly feel around the trigger area to be sure there is nothing that is likely to pull back the trigger, such as a bit of clothing, and start the muzzle into the holster. (Remember the detective who shot himself when the jacket drawstring toggle adjuster thingie got into his Glock trigger guard during reholstering?).

Then I push the XD into the holster using my thumb on the back of the slide. The grip safety is not depressed so the gun cannot fire even if I mucked up the first step.

And that is why I like the design of the XD. Now, if only my XDs carry gun was not declared unsafe and recalled. :(

Bart Noir

amd6547

I'm glad that some people fear the lack of a manual safety in the Glock system.
About two years ago, I bought a used Glock 26 from someone who was afraid of the Glock, for $275.
It is one of the finest, most useful and easy to carry pistols I have ever owned...I will never sell it.

Sarge

In the first few years of Glock's acceptance by law enforcement, there were an inordinate frequency of LE negligent discharges. Prior to that, there were there were an inordinate frequency of LE negligent discharges with DA revolvers, DA autos and shotguns. Any is too damned many.

My opinion is that it took awhile for training to catch up with technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.