Glock 17 vs. H&K USP 9mm: a brief personal comparison

stephen426

Now if you were talking about the H&K P7M8, that is a kick butt gun! Yes, they are heavy, only hold 8 rounds, and are hard to find holsters for, but they are amazingly accurate for a compact gun, have amazing triggers, and hold their value incredibly well.

The slide on the H&K USP is a lot blockier than it needs to be. I think Sigs are in the same boat. That affects the felt recoil and the ability to rapid fire. I believe that is why Glocks dominate the IDPA scene. Don't get me wrong, I think H&Ks and Sigs are great guns (I own both), but for competition purpose, I'd pass.

dayman

I am a fan of the brand, and my edc is in fact a glock, but I do feel obligated to point out that -unlike hk- glock offers a series of guns pretty much designed to maximize allowances for idpa games (34, 35, 42?).
So.... The fact that a lot of people use them for IDPA is more proof of Glock's marketing/development acumen than anything else.

Uncle Malice

I think H&Ks and Sigs are great guns (I own both), but for competition purpose, I'd pass.

HK was never designed to be a race gun. It's a combat handgun, and that's they they do well. Yes, they offer competition the models of the USP, but that's really not what it's meant to do.

Will Beararms

I am not impressed with the Mags on the USP. Why don't they have steel skeletons? Why is the compression on the springs relatively weaker than other makes? They're flimsy for what you pay for a UPS. (IMHO)

TunnelRat

I am not impressed with the Mags on the USP. Why don't they have steel skeletons? Why is the compression on the springs relatively weaker than other makes? They're flimsy for what you pay for a UPS. (IMHO)

I have USP compact mags with thousands of rounds through them and I never changed the spring. The springs seem weaker because HK doesn't push capacity to the same levels as other manufacturers. The spring doesn't need to be as strong because it isn't being compressed as much. You could physically fit more cartridges in a number of HK pistol mags. They seem to download by 1. I'm guessing to preserve spring life, but idk for sure.

Here is one from Taran Butler: HKs are like driving a covered wagon in an indie car race.

Taran Butler could beat me with his weak hand and only three fingers on that hand. That said on a scale from 1 to caring less what is popular in IDPA for choosing my own pistol, I'm at about a couldn't care less. Speed is fine, accuracy is final. I get better shot placement with my HKs than I do with the strikers I owned (though the M&P 9c I owned was damn good). There are other reasons why I prefer hammer guns for carry. If the best carry gun was the best competition gun we'd all have red dots and 2.5 lb. triggers.

Last edited:

Dirty_Harry

I love how the Glock guys come out in droves to say there pistol is as good/better than the Hk's.

They arent the same gun.

HK's are NICER guns quality wise, end of story. I hate the argunment "well all the competition guys choose...."

Thats a stupid argument.

The HK sees more military use.

PSP

In the words of the late, famous and oft quoted modern philosopher Rodney King- "Can't we all just... get along?" ;)

I own both Glocks and HKs. Both good guns. One thing I've learned from this thread is that some of you pay way too much for guns. :eek:

sigarms228

My Glock 17 cost $550 with three magazines, no sales tax in Oregon. The guy told me he paid $1250 or thereabouts for his USP. 9mm JHP is $15/50 most places round here. Two Glocks = $1100, leaving $150 for 500 rounds of ammo.

It may have been match grade or something. The sights were plain black, no dots at all, which surprised me as I'm used to 3 dots or the Glock cup and dot.

Sounds like HK USP Expert. They are quite a bit more than normal USP. A regular USP 9MM goes for about $740 online.

Xfire68

I love and hate Glock's. As I feel most of us will agree that they are UGLY but, at the same time would would also agree they are highly functional, reliable and accurate.

The HK's are also highly functional, reliable and accurate but, a bit better looking...... Is that slight edge in the looks department worth 2x+ the cost? Heck no!

Glocks are also one of the most customization handguns on the market which allows one to change pretty much everything on the gun.

Will I buy another Glock? Likely not but, HK's are not on my short list either.

jr24

The HK sees more military use.

Is that still true (in terms of handguns)? I know Glock seems to be getting a lot more military contracts these days. No idea if the numbers are available.

Regardless, Glock seems to get more use by Police forces world wide and they seem more likely to actually have to USE their side arms.

HK's are NICER guns quality wise, end of story.

Somewhat subjective. I've never been blown away with the NICENESS of any HK guns I've tried. They are great, so are Glocks, and FN, and various 1911's, etc. I don't see a ton of difference, YMMV.

Regardless, both are great guns for different reasons and we all get to choose what we like best, luckily there are so many great choices these days.

Will Beararms

Interesting how any time anyone on a gun forum respectfully they're always attacked by those who disagree. When we state reasons why we prefer or don't prefer a given handgun, it's not a personal attack on the owner or owners of a pistol we do not care for.

That said, I recently shot an HK USP9 and I like it. Tunnel Rat clearly explained why the magazine springs on the USP seem weaker than normal and I get it. He didn't have to attack me. I've been on this board a long time and that's TR. He can be opinionated but he's tactful.

Will Beararms

I am saying you can state your case without getting emotional. You stick to your guns without getting bent out of shape if someone disagrees with you.

TunnelRat

Oh ok, in that case thank you. :)

As you said, there's no sense getting bent out of shape over personal preferences. Correcting people, politely, about facts is one thing. Trying to convert them is something else.

Dirty_Harry

Somewhat subjective. I've never been blown away with the NICENESS of any HK guns I've tried. They are great, so are Glocks, and FN, and various 1911's, etc. I don't see a ton of difference, YMMV.

Regardless, both are great guns for different reasons and we all get to choose what we like best, luckily there are so many great choices these days.

I own both, and while I will agree that 99% of the time they will perform the same, the quality edge goes to HK. The fit and finish is top notch.

jr24

I own both, and while I will agree that 99% of the time they will perform the same, the quality edge goes to HK. The fit and finish is top notch.

Fair enough. I never managed to really get the USP to fit me (much as I love their looks). Some day I want to get my hands on a HK45 and see how it fits.

Hammerhead

I think USPs are best as a super accurate .45acp +p auto or a soft shooting .40. In either caliber they are worth 2 Glocks.

The USP 9mm is too big for the caliber, and the Glock 17 would be my choice regardless of price.

Uncle Malice

The USP 9mm is too big for the caliber

I don't know about that. In factory configuration with the 15rd mags, I'm inclined to agree, but when you make it a dedicated service gun and add the jet funnel w/ 18rd mags... it really shines. It's a very soft shooting, very fast gun with great capacity.

And, in my opinion, with the Match/LEM hybrid trigger, it's about the best trigger available on any polymer gun today. Some will disagree with this, but like I said - just my opinion.

1662351_10152259700277533_33309229_n.jpg